U.P. Overland 2010: Gone. Seen. Done.

taco2go

Explorer
A few campsite pictures from the trip. Most of these were at the mouth of the Huron, as it empties into Lake superior, and at Harlow lake outside of Marquette.
Due to our overnight marathon run up the Keweenaw peninsula, Hod and I were not able to camp at the spectacular High Rock Bay location north-east of Copper Harbor.
Again, a variety of camping styles on exhibit: sleeping under the stars by the lake (Fernando-style) to downright luxurious accommodations a-la Earthroamer, to the increasingly popular roof top tents. All that matters was that there was a ton of hanging out time again this year. I noticed how quickly people set up camp (Hod even made me hold on to a fully assembled Sh#$%er on the roof rack to decrease set up time)- then got busy intermingling with each other.
Plenty of healthy cross mojination :friday:......

972220823_b2J5c-L.jpg

972174896_G4Sru-L.jpg
972232776_izPto-L.jpg

972223343_hEzJ5-L.jpg

972176657_3WbT9-XL.jpg

Last edited:

taco2go

Explorer
Peter cooking up some fajitas next to Bretts awesome taco
972248044_9QYNx-L.jpg

That fine looking bumper on the Nissan....

973196396_k3xS5-L.jpg

Was handcrafted by ..FERNANDO!!

972236617_sC3oK-L.jpg

taco2go

Explorer
Super fantastic people.

At the secret spot on Sat. somewhere North west of Munising.
972244817_wALgP-L.jpg

Hod teaching the gullible the salient points on aquiring a proper Russian accent

972218903_nBzvJ-L.jpg

Cindy (from the hebrew "Sandy") from Every Miles a Memory (from the hebrew "Every Minute Counts").
I was honored to meet the Bonishes.
972235101_XVcGu-L.jpg

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Damn Joash, how did you get time to work on your photos so fast?

I'm still sitting here editing mine? I think I need a quick lesson on how to edit like you do. Amazing photos as always!

That last night at the secret camping spot was one that will go down in history as one of my favorite nights spent with friends ever! Between the shooting stars, the lightning, the waves crashing on the rocks and you and Tom strummin' those guitars all night, it was one of those things that I woke up wondering if it was all a dream?

Already looking forward to next years adventure!

bigmex

Great pics Joash. Still need to download mine. Like the picture you got of me. Hope to meet up with you guys again.

taco2go

Explorer
Thanks Louis!- that was Hod honking at you on Highway 2.
Pat that truly was a special night. Tom definitely hooked us up with the banjos. I'm sorry we had to leave early sunday- work and all- leaving the rest of you to look for Ian. I sure hope our paths cross again.
I was not able to get any lightning exposures, but thanks for this:

973359081_T6A2M-L.jpg

As for pics- I was kind of surprised that I actually didn't take all that many. As Hod will attest, I am frustratingly slow and try to get all my ducks lined up before pressing that shutter release. Then it's a couple of sliders in LR3 (mainly clarity, vibrance and sharpening) to restore the RAW files. I will never make a good people shooter, but landscapes are very patient with me.:)

We were supremely blessed with good weather this week and I was able to capture some decent sunrise/sunset offerings. The UP blows me away every time.

973372655_szNf8-L.jpg

973367893_ELX6L-L.jpg

973366377_zi7Bs-L.jpg

A typically friendly local had snagged this snapper at the mouth of the Huron, and offered me the chance to take it - "makes nice soup" he says. I was scared sh@3$less. He then reached down cut the line and we watched it swim away, hook in mouth. While he paddled off into the lake I got a couple of shots and later found his canoe conveniently posing for me as the day ended.

973376844_rWqJc-L.jpg

973369499_5htHo-XL.jpg

973371025_b7emc-XL.jpg

UP waterfalls.

973378322_8eDBw-XL.jpg

973380029_bDTCq-XL.jpg

Sunset and Sunrise at the secret seclude.

973382181_62Dxu-XL.jpg

973375000_9BT4k-XL.jpg

elripster

Adventurer
I'm bummed I missed jamming Saturday, next time I'll be there.

Great pics, I'll post mine up here tonight.

Frank

Thanks Louis!- that was Hod honking at you on Highway 2.
Pat that truly was a special night. Tom definitely hooked us up with the banjos. I'm sorry we had to leave early sunday- work and all- leaving the rest of you to look for Ian. I sure hope our paths cross again.
I was not able to get any lightning exposures, but thanks for this:

973359081_T6A2M-L.jpg

As for pics- I was kind of surprised that I actually didn't take all that many. As Hod will attest, I am frustratingly slow and try to get all my ducks lined up before pressing that shutter release. Then it's a couple of sliders in LR3 (mainly clarity, vibrance and sharpening) to restore the RAW files. I will never make a good people shooter, but landscapes are very patient with me.:)

We were supremely blessed with good weather this week and I was able to capture some decent sunrise/sunset offerings. The UP blows me away every time.

973372655_szNf8-L.jpg

973367893_ELX6L-L.jpg

973366377_zi7Bs-L.jpg

A typically friendly local had snagged this snapper at the mouth of the Huron, and offered me the chance to take it - "makes nice soup" he says. I was scared sh@3$less. He then reached down cut the line and we watched it swim away, hook in mouth. While he paddled off into the lake I got a couple of shots and later found his canoe conveniently posing for me as the day ended.

973376844_rWqJc-L.jpg

973369499_5htHo-XL.jpg

973371025_b7emc-XL.jpg

UP waterfalls.

973378322_8eDBw-XL.jpg

973380029_bDTCq-XL.jpg

Sunset and Sunrise at the secret seclude.

973382181_62Dxu-XL.jpg

973375000_9BT4k-XL.jpg

Awsome pics,looks like your pics are better then real life.

taco2go

Explorer
Thanks man. I feel I just scrape the tip of the iceberg, in capturing what I see in beautiful locations/lighting. I left my circular polarizer at home- would have helped attenuate reflection, like some off of the pool in that last picture.:)
(My opinion: So much of landscape photography is perspective, and the challenge of being able to contain the dynamic range in tricky lighting. In other words- trying to close the gap between what the human eye can do so easily, and what we have come to expect to see in a photograph. At this point, I prefer ND grads and polarizers to HDR and merging expossures on the computer)

High Center

Adventurer
Simply fantastic. The beauty of the UP and the "good vibe" of your group poured through the photos. Well Done.

I found myself wishing for a similar trip here in Georgia-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk