UJOR Build Thread

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Wire, wire, wire, wire. that's about all I've been doing! I did get the final mockup done on the rear skid system, so it's ready for the compressor, batteries & water tank. I wound up moving the air tank to the drivers side frame rail to free up some space. Tranny is back, so we'll be ready to measure for driveshafts Monday.

47399_1566781488002_1189359345_31613506_3008448_n.jpg

spencyg

This Space For Rent
Seriously, I'm only posting because I want my screen name on the first 4 threads on the van forum on a friday evening.

But while I'm here...

How about showing some love for the pre-92 owners in the house and make up a bracket kit for some front leaf springs? Yeah...there are only about 5 of us left, but if you price it right, you still might make a couple bucks.

Just a thought.

As usual, strong work. Love your stuff.

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
I hear ya - there was a nice pre 92 I found before buying mine with the straight 6 and manual trans that I would have loved to build, but the current kit offering demanded my 92+ purchase. I'm still very happy with it because of the 7.3, but would love to do a 5 speed manual conversion when I add a transfer case.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I do get calls/emails every now & then on this subject. To make early kits, I'd have to sit on a big investment that doesn't sell very fast. I could do it on a build to order basis, but I'd need a van to prototype.

dsw4x4

Adventurer
SpencyG,
The geometry on your suspension just goes to show that someone has to graduate at the bottom of class of every school. Seriously if you want to make a world of difference in your ride, articulation, handling, etc etc... Remove your track bar jack stand whatever you want to call it and put a real track bar on it with the right angle to it. And you will have whole new beast. If you want so help with it drop me a line. But basically look under a pre 80 ford half ton truck or bronco and set up a track bar like that and you will be set. I am going off of memory but I think you van still used factory ford control arms with a high pinion d44. If thats the case that silly track bar bushing set up is your only real flaw, ever see what a box style bronco is capable of?
Derek

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
SpencyG,
The geometry on your suspension just goes to show that someone has to graduate at the bottom of class of every school. Seriously if you want to make a world of difference in your ride, articulation, handling, etc etc... Remove your track bar jack stand whatever you want to call it and put a real track bar on it with the right angle to it. And you will have whole new beast. If you want so help with it drop me a line. But basically look under a pre 80 ford half ton truck or bronco and set up a track bar like that and you will be set. I am going off of memory but I think you van still used factory ford control arms with a high pinion d44. If thats the case that silly track bar bushing set up is your only real flaw, ever see what a box style bronco is capable of?
Derek

It should be said that this Quadravan "fix" has been discussed for many years, but I've yet to see anyone actually do it. When I had mine, I removed the drivers side trac bar for a while, and it loosened up the suspension quite a bit. It needed a sway bar BAD, but drove good. I also wouldn't recommend doing this because radius arm bushings aren't the best for a trac bar.

dsw4x4

Adventurer
SpencyG
I have no affiliation or experience with them but pathfinder-vans makes a do it yourself 4x4 kit for the pre 92 vans if you want to go with leaf springs in the front end.
Derek

spencyg

This Space For Rent
Don't really want to hijack this thread with a sidebar discussion. I will say that I do intend to remidy the pathetic Pathfinder front end in the near future, and the remidy will most likely not involve a conversion to leaf springs. Thanks for the info though.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Don't want you guys to think I've been slacking, cause I haven't!!!!

I've been working on a bunch of little things, wiring, plumbing, oil leaks, bad sensors, etc. Getting the van ready for delivery next week.

As if this van isn't enough work, I still have to prep my van for the x-country journey & build an axle for a customer in CA!!! 1 week left!!!!!

partsflyin

Adventurer
I do get calls/emails every now & then on this subject. To make early kits, I'd have to sit on a big investment that doesn't sell very fast. I could do it on a build to order basis, but I'd need a van to prototype.

cough cough... I know a guy a just a few hours North of you that has what would be an excellent prototype platform....cough cough. :sombrero:

el-cid

Observer
...I do intend to remedy the pathetic Pathfinder front end in the near future...

Be sure to document it when you do; my '78 E350 Pathfinder would appreciate it too!

Waiting with baited breath as this Ujoint build continues.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
cough cough... I know a guy a just a few hours North of you that has what would be an excellent prototype platform....cough cough. :sombrero:

Let's see what happens in the next 6 months..... I'll be in a bigger place and be able to take on projects like this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jay2thaC