UJOR Build Thread

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Rob stopped by the shop with his new rig, a super nice 05 V10. We swapped some parts from his old van, and gave it a good general checkup. Now he's back in NY!

IMG_1369.JPG

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Vanaconda is long overdue for some TLC. With the east coast expo event coming up soon, and the van getting close to 100K, now is the time. So.... here's the menu---- Turbo removal & cleaning, EGR cooler delete, new programmer from DP Tuner (80hp eco) EGT gauge, belt, new shocks, frame & axle cleaning & fuel filters! This should keep me busy for a few days :D

IMG_1377.JPG

Fun Fun Fun
IMG_1380.JPG

I planned to have someone else do this job, but I'd rather learn & do it myself for a few reasons. This is one.... When I was pulling the turbo, I couldn't find the 3rd bolt holding it in. Cause it wasn't there! My turbo was out once before at a dealership (~30K) so maybe he left it out? Or it was never there from the factory? Who knows.

IMG_1378.JPG

Toolman

Explorer
I bet the factory left it out.

I was having trouble with my gas gauge and with some helpful troubleshooting from NELY. I found a ground harness that was partially installed with a cross threaded bolt under the dash.. the terminal ring was loosely hanging on with more than half of the threads of the bolt exposed. Just enough contact for it to work intermittently.

"Built Ford Tough"

FEAR THE UNDER PAID TECH AT THE DEALERSHIPS

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I hear ya, find stuff all the time. I once worked at a Ford dealer, I was the guy that inspected & received all of the cars when they came off the carrier. I found all sorts of stuff! Interior pieces missing, a Ford Taurus with a Mercury steering wheel, Rangers with Mazda keys, etc. I always wondered how the vehicle made it all the way to the dealership & a 22 yr old kid found the ********!

Sheep Shagger

Adventurer
Vanaconda is long overdue for some TLC. With the east coast expo event coming up soon, and the van getting close to 100K, now is the time. So.... here's the menu---- Turbo removal & cleaning, EGR cooler delete, new programmer from DP Tuner (80hp eco) EGT gauge, belt, new shocks, frame & axle cleaning & fuel filters! This should keep me busy for a few days :D

I'll be interested to see where and how you placed your EGT sensor. On the EGR cooler delete, how are you doing this? Are you welding up the exhaust inlet into the EGR cooler, or pulling it out completely.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I'll be interested to see where and how you placed your EGT sensor. On the EGR cooler delete, how are you doing this? Are you welding up the exhaust inlet into the EGR cooler, or pulling it out completely.

Here's a shot of the EGT sensor. Hopefully it's clear enough. I drilled & tapped the drivers side manifold. For the cooler, I'm welding the exhaust port up, and blocking the inlet to the intake. Coolant will still circulate thru the cooler. I had my turbo rebuilt last night, there was enough carbon buildup to freeze up the ring. Can't wait to see how good it runs when I'm done!

IMG_1395.JPG

And here's what a 6.0 looks like with everything removed from the intake up!

IMG_1394.JPG

Today I'm going back & forth between Vanaconda & BVan. Drill Drill Drill.

IMG_1397.JPG

Sheep Shagger

Adventurer
Here's a shot of the EGT sensor. Hopefully it's clear enough. I drilled & tapped the drivers side manifold.

Thanks, perfectly clear. I have read this is the best way to do it, but considering the down pipe (well it doesn't actually go down on the PSD) is so easy to get to in the van, I was wondering if you were going to weld a bung into that.

For the cooler, I'm welding the exhaust port up, and blocking the inlet to the intake. Coolant will still circulate thru the cooler. I had my turbo rebuilt last night, there was enough carbon buildup to freeze up the ring. Can't wait to see how good it runs when I'm done!

Cleaning my Turbo made a big difference, about 10psi. max 12~17psi prior and max 27psi after. That's ECU reading, I still need to add a real gauge for an accurate reading, but the ECU reading was enough to show about a 30% gain.
I have read that blocking up the cooler is a good way to go if it hasn't failed yet, my local PSD shop charges $400 for this, and since my warranty has just expired I was thinking about it. If you monitor MPG I'd be interested to see if you see a loss, apparently you loose about 1mpg doing this in the truck, but since the van is ~90hp down I'm wondering it it makes any MPG change at all.

Today I'm going back & forth between Vanaconda & BVan. Drill Drill Drill.
IMG_1397.JPG

Holey *********g crap! What size are those tires?

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I'm pretty confident it will run a LOT better. Losing MPG's is no good, so we'll see. I don't keep a detailed log anymore, but I do check occasionally. Hopefully the new tune will help.

I'm also replacing the fuel regulator spring, and I removed the oil cooler tonight to replace the screen & clean it up. My screen was cracked in several places. Tomorrow start to re assemble!

37/13.50/18 Toyo MT's on XD Addict Wheels. This van is gonna look good!

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Busy busy busy. The parts for BVan's axle came yesterday, so it's time to build a Dana 60!
IMG_1403.JPG

Still working on my van, putting the engine back together & adding some goodies. The new shocks went on today, lookin good.
IMG_1401.JPG

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Vanaconda lives!!!! Finally! What a PITA, I hate engine work. Just have to install the new tuner tomorrow & everything is good.

Here's a motor home running my kit, the guys @ G&M Auto just got it on the road today. I've talked to a ton of people over the years about converting a Class C, glad that these guys pulled the trigger.

600_G_M_1.jpg

Here's another recent build, Mike's 06 6.0 with a 6" lift has been a long term project, glad to see it on the road!

600_Mike_Ritz_1.jpg

And now that my turd is off the lift, it's time for some BVAN love....

600_IMG_1430.JPG

D

Deleted member 9101

Vanaconda lives!!!! Finally! What a PITA, I hate engine work. Just have to install the new tuner tomorrow & everything is good.

Here's a motor home running my kit, the guys @ G&M Auto just got it on the road today. I've talked to a ton of people over the years about converting a Class C, glad that these guys pulled the trigger.

600_G_M_1.jpg

When it comes time for me to upgrade from my Jumping Jack, something liek that would be perfect!

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Super productive day today! BVAN received it's front axle, and I went ahead & tackled the rear so I can get the shocks in transit. This is my favorite part of every build, when everything starts to take shape.

BVAN%252520f%252520axle%252520in.JPG

For the rear, we used a stock D60 rear with a factory posi & 4.10's. This axle actually came from StanVan.

BVAN%252520rear%252520installed.JPG

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Work continues on BVAN while we're waiting for some parts. Will be on the ground Friday! Then just shocks....

364_BVAN_.JPG

And what is this?!?!? I'm not going to say much because the build isn't finalized, but I have some ideas. :D

Transit.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater