UJOR Build Thread

carbon60

Explorer
I'd be willing to bet that on the last big welding job I did I personaly burned up more welding rod than everybody on this forum will, put together, for life.... ;). Probably a couple forums. :D

It involved a couple chunks of steel, about 250 tons a pc, that were cracked in half and needed to be one solid piece again.

But your reasoning is sound regardless. I just had to toss that out there and see who bites. Hehe.

Pics or it didn't happen? :coffee:

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I hesitate to clutter up Chris's thread with my nonsense, but I'll stick it in here for now. Chris, if you'd rather not just say so and it's gone...

Under the white ceramic blanket is a chunk of steel somewhere between 200-250 ton. The crack that split it in half is fairly apparent. I had to preheat this thing to about 700 deg. before we started welding.

IMG_2289_zpszqgpaz2u.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Approximately a 25% chunk of the crack cut out to weld. We did it in quarters. One quarter, 2nd quarter, roll the whole mess over and then 3rd quarter and 4th quarter. Everything inside that pocket is weld.

IMG_2331.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

A couple minutes prior to this picture, everything you see that is pink was liquid metal. It's not your average weld process, and yet it was mostly done with stick electrode. Electrodes that weighed approximately 7 lbs a piece.

IMG_2334_zpsrjgzheee.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This is slag in my hand. That's about how thick she would get before I couldn't burn through it anymore and it would have to be hammered out. Most of the time we wouldnt have to do that till we finished a pass. Start at the bottom of the pocket and get a big puddle going, and then just walk it up to the top. Anyway, that is a very condensed version of what happens. There is much torching, much gouging, a metric ******k ton of welding, and a cubic ***-load of stick electrode involved. As I recall on this job we burned up 27,000 lbs of electrode, half of that on my watch thank you. :) The job just prior to this one we burned up 33,000 lbs of stick electrode. Good times had by all. :/

IMG_2786_zpspssuto8o.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I guess it did happen. Hehe.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
We were supposed to get a decent amount of snow, didn't happen as usual. Some ice, sleet, snow, etc. Just enough to mess up the roads and have a bit of fun.

11002597_929405647078664_8119226676018283843_n.jpg

7.3 wagon is mobile, lookin good and just needs a few parts to be finished up. Headed to CO in May.

10982692_930261336993095_9157031921146287637_n.jpg

350outrage

Adventurer
We were supposed to get a decent amount of snow, didn't happen as usual. Some ice, sleet, snow, etc. Just enough to mess up the roads and have a bit of fun.

Looks like about what we got. Used the 4wd on ice glazed roads and drives; may not have been necessary though :-/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl