UJOR Build Thread

I can't answer for Chris, but I'd imagine once the kit is developed the driveshafts are then a known quantity.

I'd suspect there may be differences between the 4" and 6" kits (and any other larger kits) but I don't think each kit would get a special driveshaft measurement.

There could be differences based on transmission cross member placements and even engine setback. But once the standard options are sorted. That'd be it.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
There are always variables so I prefer to measure each van before the shafts are built. Different lift heights, progressive vs non, transmissions, stock axle vs Sterling in the rear and the engine all create different dims. We do measure and keep track of every van that we build here.

I recently created a spread sheet of the different setups to find some averages so we could possible get them pre made. There are just too many variables, I would have to create a ton of part #s and stock all of them. Its much easier for my local shop to keep the generic shafts in stock, cut to length and balance in 1-2 days. If customers live in an area that doesn't have a driveline shop I refer them to a few of the good mail order vendors that can make the shafts and ship them.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Hope everyone had a good holiday, I'm happy to be back at work :) We're finalizing the design for the TX rig u-bolt plates and bumps, needed a dim for compression so lets twist up another van! This is the MD 5.4 rig, bumpers went off to be blasted today for powder and it will be going home next week.

AlphaVan's 7.3 has been ordered, hope to pick it up soon. I'll go there and watch it on the dyno and then bring it back with me. Super excited for that! I'll go into more details on why we chose what we did/etc later. For now I'll just tell you guys that it will be putting 425 to the wheels.

1935869_1099341373418423_7794637190132675190_n.jpg

tgreening

Expedition Leader
No idea. I imagine it will but testing it hasn't been a priority. I'm just liking the form factor of the standard vans these days

GNTY

Adventurer
There are always variables so I prefer to measure each van before the shafts are built. Different lift heights, progressive vs non, transmissions, stock axle vs Sterling in the rear and the engine all create different dims. We do measure and keep track of every van that we build here.

I recently created a spread sheet of the different setups to find some averages so we could possible get them pre made. There are just too many variables, I would have to create a ton of part #s and stock all of them. Its much easier for my local shop to keep the generic shafts in stock, cut to length and balance in 1-2 days. If customers live in an area that doesn't have a driveline shop I refer them to a few of the good mail order vendors that can make the shafts and ship them.

Thanks, i assumed thats kinda how it was. Way to many variables to have stock or pre order the drive shafts while the build is going on. Thats mainly what i was thinking as drive shafts for me would take a couple weeks and thought there might be a way to speed up the process...better safe than sorry and be patient and do it right.

GNTY

Adventurer
Chris, with your 6" kits, what is the main differences between your "normal" springs vs. the progressive? how does one decide which to go with when doing a build with you or ordering a kit? If it was ride quality wouldn't most if not all pick one over the other.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
What are you doing to alphavan's 7.3?? Whole new engine??

Yes. All bad dude stuff built for power & reliability.

Chris, with your 6" kits, what is the main differences between your "normal" springs vs. the progressive? how does one decide which to go with when doing a build with you or ordering a kit? If it was ride quality wouldn't most if not all pick one over the other.

All diesels get regular springs, no progressives. The gassers get progressive 80% of the time but it depends on how they'll be used and weight capacities.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Yes. All bad dude stuff built for power & reliability.

All diesels get regular springs, no progressives. The gassers get progressive 80% of the time but it depends on how they'll be used and weight capacities.

Just to be clear...that's because diesels themselves are Bad Dude stuff. That's why they get the regular Bader Duder springs instead of those wishy-washy sorta girlie "progressive" springs. ;)

tgreening

Expedition Leader
More serious note... Where are you going for your 7.3s Chris? Factory, reman, rebuilt salvage ? If factory, how far back are they available, all the way to the idi era? How do they come... long, short, all the way to fully dressed? And the bigee...iffen a guy was to head to the Ford stealership for say a standard long block typish, how far (approx) could he expect to be bent over for the service?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven