12508977_1104138376272056_562095306567480930_n.jpg

This afternoon:

12512585_1104275629591664_7006829303952692336_n.jpg

Atlas 4 speed installed!

12509911_1104185542934006_9099004010484579547_n.jpg

DzlToy

Explorer
Hey Chris,

If you still have that body off tomorrow, could you take a few measurements for me, please sir?

Valve cover (or highest point of engine) from the ground

Rear most point of engine to front of radiator

Widest point of engine (turbos, exhaust, etc.) overall width

Outside measurement of shock towers, springs or whatever the next widest item is.

Hope all of that makes sense, trying to get an idea of the space that a complete engine takes up in the doghouse and how much room is need to sit down into the frame, clear suspension, etc.

Thanks in advance, I owe you a beer if you make it to Expo West this year.

Excellent choice on the four speed, they are top notch pieces. I figured final drive ratios with a ZF-6 and wound up with a range of 3:1 in 6th gear 4WD high (10.34 case) to 250:1 in low low first. That should cover about every situation that a van would encounter.

To give you guys an idea of the speed range at only 750 RPM, 6th gear in 4WD high, results in about 25 MPH, perfect for a washboard dirt road, down to approximately five inches per second in low low first, also at 750 rpm.

Here is a video of a Toyota truck with Marlin's Dual Ultimate case setup, which is 223:1, so the configuration above would be slightly slower:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5bvQJ7S3us&hd=1

What ratios did you (or the customer) select for the four speed?

Last edited:

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Hey Chris,

If you still have that body off tomorrow, could you take a few measurements for me, please sir?

Outside measurement of shock towers, springs or whatever the next widest item is.

Hope all of that makes sense, trying to get an idea of the space that a complete engine takes up in the doghouse and how much room is need to sit down into the frame, clear suspension, etc.

Thanks in advance, I owe you a beer if you make it to Expo West this year.

Excellent choice on the four speed, they are top notch pieces. I figured final drive ratios with a ZF-6 and wound up with a range of 3:1 in 6th gear 4WD high (10.34 case) to 250:1 in low low first. That should cover about every situation that a van would encounter.

To give you guys an idea of the speed range at only 750 RPM, 6th gear in 4WD high, results in about 25 MPH, perfect for a washboard dirt road, down to approximately five inches per second in low low first, also at 750 rpm.

Here is a video of a Toyota truck with Marlin's Dual Ultimate case setup, which is 223:1, so the configuration above would be slightly slower:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5bvQJ7S3us&hd=1

What ratios did you (or the customer) select for the four speed?

I'll see what I can still measure, we've got it torn down quite a bit now.

Just realized that this Atlas is so long my fuel tank won't fit!

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Hey Chris,

Given the variation in ride height/tire size/weight, etc... from van to van, wouldn't a better measurement be from top of frame rail to top of engine?

You can get back of engine to back of radiator pretty easily just by taking the doghouse off...

Same as above

This will get you close... If you need another measurement from the frame, let me know.

What engine are you planning on putting in a van? You're obviously scheming something here. :)

DzlToy

Explorer
Yes MG, I am 'scheming' (if that is a word).

On the 750 rpm, example, it's probably not useful in high range. Just trying to give an idea of what you can do with a four speed Atlas and ZF-6. "Idling along at 750rpm" gives you that speed range.

I may have put my hands on a..... (sorry, it's a secret for now :)

Edit: dont have a van to measure, hence the request.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Yes MG, I am 'scheming' (if that is a word).

It is a word...quite appropriate here too. :)

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=scheming definition

I may have put my hands on a..... (sorry, it's a secret for now :).

If by chance you got your hands on a 6.7L Powerstroke... bad news, it probably won't fit without body mods. Before I bought the Cummins, I had a chance to buy a virtually new '13 Powerstroke drivetrain. When I went to get it, it was much larger than I thought it would be. Much. Larger.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Ha, yes. The fill is the worst part of figuring that out! I've done a few on the rear skid but that damn fill is always the tough part. On VivaLaVida were having it painted so cut a factory fuel fill into the body. On others we've put the fill in the wheel well but this limits how high the tank can be. If you can get the fill higher you can gain a lot of capacity.

The other option of course is to use a factory style tank that sits below the frame quite a bit. Still have to find a good place for the fill though.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
All of the parts are available from Ford... except for the hole in the body for the fill tube, the solution already exists. Just look at cutaway vans. It's all right there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven