Unimog u500 For Sale

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
I asked my wife if we could sell the house and live in this. I'll keep working on her.

Interestingly, it would qualify as a mortgage with the tax benefits of a primary or secondary home ... if it has a full bath.

:wings:

I'd do it in a heart beat!!

D

dzzz

I know something about U500s from previous shopping/drooling. This is a BEAUTIFULLY-optioned truck, not missing a single thing you'd want. Full gears, CTIS, dual hydraulics, VarioPilot, even power windows. Somebody with a use for it, please buy it before I do something foolish. ;)

It does have the important expo camper things. Plus it's one owner, so the history is know. I almost bought one without CTIS. That would be a mistake.

The one thing I didn't see is auto transmission. But in my experience these loaded trucks always have it. (It's not auto like a car. The computer does clutch and gears pneumatically.)

The engine driven compressor on these trucks is something like 70 cfm at 120 psi. A really good 12v add on electric compressor is 3cfm at 120 psi. Many are 1 cfm at 120 psi.

The buyer registers the truck with unimog/mercedes. The support is excellent, both from the two U.S. unimog guys and mercedes specialty vehicle group in Germany. It's rather strange to buy a used truck and get much better support than any new truck I've purchased.

Some of the 180-odd North American U500's built have been re-exported back to Europe.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
It does have the important expo camper things. Plus it's one owner, so the history is know. I almost bought one without CTIS. That would be a mistake.

The one thing I didn't see is auto transmission. But in my experience these loaded trucks always have it. (It's not auto like a car. The computer does clutch and gears pneumatically.)

The engine driven compressor on these trucks is something like 70 cfm at 120 psi. A really good 12v add on electric compressor is 3cfm at 120 psi. Many are 1 cfm at 120 psi.

The buyer registers the truck with unimog/mercedes. The support is excellent, both from the two U.S. unimog guys and mercedes specialty vehicle group in Germany. It's rather strange to buy a used truck and get much better support than any new truck I've purchased.

Some of the 180-odd North American U500's built have been re-exported back to Europe.

From post #12 Option - G48 This is the auto shifting option. You can chose manual shifting and a clutch petal folds out or Auto where the clutch folds in and the shifting is automatic. The good thing is that transmission is a geared transmission that is shifted via the computer in the auto mode. I works really nice and I rarely use the manual mode.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
I know something about U500s from previous shopping/drooling. This is a BEAUTIFULLY-optioned truck, not missing a single thing you'd want. Full gears, CTIS, dual hydraulics, VarioPilot, even power windows. Somebody with a use for it, please buy it before I do something foolish. ;)

Buy it Mike and Yosh and i will live out of it and pay you rent :D

Esmi

Explorer

Mike,

You've been sort of quiet on the board for awhile, and now your posts keep popping up in this same thread.

My intuition tells me that you are getting ready to do something foolish. And I highly encourage you to do so. ;–)

dzzz

My intuition tells me that you are getting ready to do something foolish. And I highly encourage you to do so. ;–)

He does seem to be working himself up to a purchase. There were a couple of Canadian U500s for sale at lower cost. But those were beat to heck as snowplows.
On a more serious note, those in Cali need to be sure these can be titled in that state.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
He does seem to be working himself up to a purchase.
Well, I will admit that I'd probably have been right there if Dan had been selling six months ago. That'd have been before I'd bought the Tacoma and started turning the EarthRoamer Jeep into a specialized one-off version of indeterminate resale value. My thought is that with the combination of the fully-optioned U500 and the easy-to-finish-off cabin, this is about as cheap and easy a way to have a modern "big league" expedition truck as I'd expect to find.

And I must say that I appreciate the encouragement. My wife, maybe not quite so much. :)

On a more serious note, those in Cali need to be sure these can be titled in that state.
Indeed, the title/license matter warrants checking everywhere. This is the 33K GVWR version of the U500, as opposed to the 25,999 version, so it's a candidate for different problems in different states. Lots of states will let this be a recreational vehicle and get you out of a bunch of regulations, and some places will let you register at a lower GVWR, etc. But in the worst of cases, you might end up needing a CDL, keeping log books, etc., and having troubles with the insurance on a commercial vehicle. :(

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
If he can hide a Mog, I'll sign up for lessons:)
I spoke with Dan- super guy, and very helpful/accommidating. The lack of CC space is the limitting factor for me, sadly. I have wanted one of these for some time, and this is definately the one to get me thinks- great truck with a super price. But, with two small children, it just won't work, and the wife is all for it to boot!! Sorry Dan- and thanks again for your time and helpfulness. Cheers

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I've seen Mike's garage. He can hide a Mog in there.
Might be able to hide the Mog more easily than the missing $95,000 of the household's funds.

Still, I gotta thank you guys for all the support and ideas. You are true friends. PM me for details on where to send your donations. :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater