Unimog u500 For Sale

dan johnson

Mike:
I think that you might have to re-think about this. I know that once you have owned a unimog the desire is always there. You did mention a possible trade. I do have some interest in a tacoma if it is the one I think it is. Send me some more info if you would like to think about this a little more. A partial trade may work out because the number of trucks would stay the same in the stable although you wife might still notice a difference. The other thing to think about is the EXPEDITION that you would have picking up the unimog. Since I live in the middle of Alaska there are many adventures here for your enjoyment. I have a empty apartment in my house that you and whoever you bring are welcome to use. I also have a shop that you are welcome to use to put a few finishing touches on the mog to make is a little more liveable. You can travel north up the Dalton highway to the northslope which is a great trip. I live about 2 hours form Denali National Park where you can visit Mt. Mckinley. I am 75 miles from the Yukon River and I have jet boat that draws 4 inches of water when on step. I is easy to put a few hundred miles on it in a few days. There are only about 10,000 miles of runable rivers available. We could head south to Prince Williams Sound where I have an ocean boat. We could set some shrimp pots which commonly yield 50-100 shrimp at a time. Placed on the grill with butter and garlic on the boat with a few beers life can't get much better than this. The humpback whales usually are around and sometimes we find some killer whales to watch. We can visit the sea lion rookery. We can visit the Columbia Glacier and pick up some million year old ice that is good in cocktails and keeps for a long time in the cooler. I am not the best Halibut fisherman but working on getting better. In late August the silver salmon come into the bay and I am pretty good at catching them. This is just a few things that you can do here in the summer I have a few more Alaska toy you are welcome to use canoes, kayak, four wheelers and snowmachines (have to go up on the glaciers in the summer).

So Mike this is not just about a truck it is about the EXPEDITION.

If Mike does not take the offer I would be happy to offer it to whoever buys the Truck.

Dan

Riptide

Explorer
Jeez Dan, now you have me checking the sofa for any loose change...

Now that's the way to sell a truck!!

Mike... you are powerless to resist...

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Dan should hire himself out to the Alaska tourism people. Sure makes it sound nice.

Of course, I've already got all these great places I supposed to be going in the lower 48 in my current fleet, so don't let the fact that Dan addressed the travelog to me keep anyone else from getting excited. It's a fine rig and a nice offer from a good guy.

bburgess39

Wishing...

Dan,

I spent 6 wonderful years in Fairbanks as an undergraduate with a Major in Geology and lived at 3.5 mile Goldstream Valley Road.(1970 to 1976) My wife and I were on the upper side of the road, with a near 30% grade to reach our trailer. Could have used the Mog then. But our trusty Blazer made it even with 150 gal of water in the back(purloined from the student union dock). We had no well, water being 600 ft deep and no one could afford a well as we were all poor college students.

This all being said I approach the wife with your deal... well it didn't go well...
Even with a month to tour she said no... I'll work on her. I even told her I had gotten plane tickets... She called my bluff lol.

The pictures look like your'e up on Chena ridge... Just where are you?

Thanks for the memories.

Bruce Burgess,
tbburgess39@hotmail.com

I will get a mog some day...

dan johnson

Dan,

I spent 6 wonderful years in Fairbanks as an undergraduate with a Major in Geology and lived at 3.5 mile Goldstream Valley Road.(1970 to 1976) My wife and I were on the upper side of the road, with a near 30% grade to reach our trailer. Could have used the Mog then. But our trusty Blazer made it even with 150 gal of water in the back(purloined from the student union dock). We had no well, water being 600 ft deep and no one could afford a well as we were all poor college students.

This all being said I approach the wife with your deal... well it didn't go well...
Even with a month to tour she said no... I'll work on her. I even told her I had gotten plane tickets... She called my bluff lol.

The pictures look like your'e up on Chena ridge... Just where are you?

Bruce
The pictures are from Farmers Loop. I went to the U of A from 1970 to 1974 but did not take any Geology courses. My sister Paula went a few years later and graduated with a geology degree. The u500 could haul a 1000 gal tank of water without a problem.
Take care
Dan

OTR

Adventurer
My wife is looking at me like I just had a stroke. You guys are killing with all the drooling on my keyboard. I know my laptop is going to die sooner than later.
On a side note: If anyone wants an independent account on this rig let me know. I live in Fairbanks and would LOVE to go and admire it on behave of someone else. I will also be driving down to the states in a few weeks and could even work out a delivery option:)

Last edited:

serialNSXer

I keep getting asked about the options so here is a list of the one on the 2005 U500. I was unable to determine what all the option codes were. Maybe someone who knows more can help fill in the blanks. These codes were taken off the Mercedes build card.

Thanks
Dan

U500 Options
A30 CTIS
A31 Other parts for CTIS
... complete list ... truncated for brevity

here is a more complete list of Option Codes

twinsprings

Observer
just now read the thread, congratulations on the sale...boy, I guess I'm relieved as your package deal with expedition sounded excellent.. somebody should be very happy.

giantiger

Sooooooooooooooo late to read this thread now. I am looking for a Unimog with automatic transmission, in the US, the 187 or 185 pieces U500(2004-2006) is the only option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater

Members online