Unknown Noise

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Nope, been down that road already. If it makes you feel any better, TOD buys you a 2.48:1 low compared with the 2:1 low in the non-TOD models, giving you a 30.5:1 crawl -- probably a pretty good match for mild trails.

AZTrooper

Adventurer
So after I talked to a local transmission man about my 4L30-E tranny, he told me it's probably about time for a rebuild anyway. The trooper has 164,000 miles on the stock tranny. Maybe I'll just get it overhauled. The dent in the pan is only about 1/2" deep and 6-8 inches long. I'm wondering how deep a dent has to be to bust a solenoid or something. Any thoughts?

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
If you plan on continuing to wheel trails in the Smilely Rock range, then a oil pan/tranny skid would be a good idea. Lots of options for building your own - but I wouldn't go less than 1/8" steel or 3/8" nylon sheet backed up by some tubing.

Also, if you don't get a skid, carring a spill kit should be mandatory.

And, I'd recommend getting some of the oil (hydrocarbon) activated epoxy to use for a pan patch if needed. We've made do with the plastic from a milk jug and a ton of duct tape by cleaning everything with brake parts cleaner first, but it's not a real good setup. I'vegot a buddy who used the epoxy to fix an oil pan 4 years ago, and it's still there...

Scott Brady

Founder
AZTrooper said:
So after I talked to a local transmission man about my 4L30-E tranny, he told me it's probably about time for a rebuild anyway. The trooper has 164,000 miles on the stock tranny. Maybe I'll just get it overhauled. The dent in the pan is only about 1/2" deep and 6-8 inches long. I'm wondering how deep a dent has to be to bust a solenoid or something. Any thoughts?

Fix the pan would be my recommendation.

AZTrooper

Adventurer
Taking the pan off and pounding out the dent is what I would like to do. Does anyone know if there is anything breakable within the half inch that it dented? The pan is about 3 inches deep. If there's nothing between the bottom of the pan and where it bolts to the transmission, I just might leave it alone and fabricate a removeable skid plate.

Scott Brady

Founder
Your best bet is to remove the pan and inspect the valve body for damage. Easy job and you can change the fluid at the same time. I would replace the pan as opposed to hammering it out.

AZTrooper

Adventurer
So the valve body is within an inch and a half from the bottom of the pan huh?!? Kinda seems like not such a good design. Oh well... I'll have to unbolt the cross beam so that I can get to the bolts.

Scott Brady

Founder
AZTrooper said:
So the valve body is within an inch and a half from the bottom of the pan huh?!? Kinda seems like not such a good design. Oh well... I'll have to unbolt the cross beam so that I can get to the bolts.

All automatics for passenger vehicles are designed that way :) You just need a skid plate :box:

AZTrooper

Adventurer
So I have an appointment for a local tranny shop to check things out. Tomorrow a buddy and I are gonna make a few custom skid plates for the trooper.

Hey Scott, I have money for the air compressor. How do you propose I go about getting it?

AZTrooper

Adventurer
So... $86 later, it turns out that the noise was coming from the pump in the tranny starving for fluid. The metal container that holds the filter about 1/2" from the bottom of the pan got crunched a little and was pinching the filter itself. This was restricting flow for the pump. So overall, not a bad diagnosis. They replaced the filter and changed fluid. Since there was a lot of metal particles on the magnet, he suggests I rebuild the tranny. I told him it shifts beautifully and I wasn't interested in a $2,000 rebuild. But for now all is well and I'm glad it turned out to be a small problem.

AZTrooper

Adventurer
AZTrooper said:
So I have an appointment for a local tranny shop to check things out. Tomorrow a buddy and I are gonna make a few custom skid plates for the trooper.

Hey Scott, I have money for the air compressor. How do you propose I go about getting it?

Scott, I still want that air compressor. How can we make the transaction? I bought one of those fancy deflators too!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal