Unlimited wrangler (LJ) Daily driver/expedition vehicle

kodiak1232003

Adventurer
2004 Unlimited D.D./expedition vehicle (New mods)

hey all,
I'm freakin' stoked. just picked up my dream vehicle!!

Here you go....visiting Julian for some pie and camping.

newjeep1stTrip053.jpg

and yes thats a grocery next to my grocery getter...lol...:safari-rig:

its a 2004 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4x4...auto, D44 rear/D30 front.

Last edited:

kodiak1232003

Adventurer
trips planned

1. big bear
2. big sur
3. seattle/mt. ranier area
4. British columbia
5. In Our Dreams...alaska, niagra falls,
virginia wheeling/washington, d.c. sightseeing

mods planned

1. cobra CB/antenna mountDONE!~:)
2. simple/strong front winch bumper (tow points, winch mount, light mount, plate steel-not the "baja type")
3. rear tire/can carrier/storage
4. rock sliders, steering guard, engine skid
5. BFG AT's in the 31"-32" flavor
6. hi lift mount DONE!~:)
7. rear door holder-opener. :)
8..etc..

Last edited:

tjbliley

Observer
You live my dream and I will live some of yours.(At least for a little while) I am from VA and run around DC quite a bit. I would love to do some or your Weekend Wheeling just once. A buddy of mine's Sister-in-law and neice just moved here from Vegas and to see her dauhgters face when we wheeled in the Blue Ridge Mountains was better than Christmas(Or UPS Delivery). She had never been wheeling where there were so many trees and green stuff in her life. Granted she is only 16 but that was still great to see. Looks like you have a good plan for your ride and I hope to either see you on my trails or yours soon.

rmarz

Adventurer
Kodiak,
Very cool! Congratulations. I have a 05 Rubicon LJ and am getting it geared for a drive to Alaska in 2008. I look forward to seeing your ride take shape with mods.

maximumrob

Adventurer
Nice rig. Don't forget to do a 1" body lift so you can get a belly-up skid on that bad boy. If you add a decent skidplate, rear locker, and some mud treads, you'll be unstoppable on anything less than gnarly trails.

The mud tires aren't as loud as you think if you keep them balanced. The wife and I drove my Rubicon with 31" MTR's from Dallas to Ouray (19 hrs) and determined the soft top was the reason for our temporary deafness, not the mud tires. ;)

I'll be going to 255/85-16 BFG MT's next, as they're nearly an all-terrain since the tread is so tight compared to MTR's and other, meatier mud treads.

kodiak1232003

Adventurer
maximumrob said:
Nice rig. Don't forget to do a 1" body lift so you can get a belly-up skid on that bad boy. If you add a decent skidplate, rear locker, and some mud treads, you'll be unstoppable on anything less than gnarly trails.

The mud tires aren't as loud as you think if you keep them balanced. The wife and I drove my Rubicon with 31" MTR's from Dallas to Ouray (19 hrs) and determined the soft top was the reason for our temporary deafness, not the mud tires. ;)

I'll be going to 255/85-16 BFG MT's next, as they're nearly an all-terrain since the tread is so tight compared to MTR's and other, meatier mud treads.

great info, thanks!

i'll put a body lift on the list.... any mfgr. recommendations?

also for the belly-up..can i just google that?

muds are definitely on the list, though my wife likes the bfg AT's with a passion...marriage is all about compromise..ahaha. (i'm just happy she likes to wheel.:D...)

Colorado Ron

Explorer
Im happy for you, but I just have to say this.....

Do you really need to cuss to express your happiness? Ive always thought of this as a family server and my kids often read over my shoulders and are excited to see all the cool pics here, so if you dont mind, could you please refrain. Thanks

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
That is a nice platform to start on, I really think they missed the ball by not offering a LWB 2dr this time around. I relaize that they (Jeep) are selling the new 4dr faster than they can make the things, but I think the the LJ was the perfect wheelbase for the majority of wheeling terrain. Not to mention that IMO the new JK is butt ugly and the decision to dump the I6 for a V-6 was absurd (I don't know if I will ever forgive Jeep for this). The only way I think Jeep will win ME back is if the build the JT and put the CRD diesel in it. WHo knows maybe they'll come to their sences and make another LJ like rig.

Cheers

Dave

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Colorado Ron said:
Im happy for you, but I just have to say this.....

Do you really need to cuss to express your happiness? Ive always thought of this as a family server and my kids often read over my shoulders and are excited to see all the cool pics here, so if you dont mind, could you please refrain. Thanks
Thanks mom... Sometimes you're just so happy some expletives come out. It's just a word, it's not like he clubbed a bunch of baby seals.

RunninRubicon

Adventurer
Belly-up Pans

Teraflex makes a very good belly-up pan. $350. Gives you about 2 more inches under your belly/transfer case. Requires a CV-driveshaft. Teraflex offers these too. $350 also. Both are available via Quadratec or 4WD.com. Some manufacturers recommend a 1" body lift if you run an automatic tranny.
If you already have a 4" lift, this is the equivelent of running a 6" but using 33" tires instead. Stock lift can use the same and run your stock tires. But will give you the belly clearance of a 2" lift. Nice addition-keep your center of gravity low and your rig more stable. Unlimited's and four door JK are well served by this modification as they tend to drag their belly on most everything in stock format. In a "normal" Wrangler of standard length really shine with this mod and it will pay in dividends on every challenging trail.
* the Rubicon models have their locker compressors mounted on the belly pan.
These will require an simple mode to keep them secured.

kodiak1232003

Adventurer
4Rescue said:
Thanks mom... Sometimes you're just so happy some expletives come out. It's just a word, it's not like he clubbed a bunch of baby seals.

no, no... its o.k. :)

edited for the young bucks...

:camping:

kodiak1232003

Adventurer
RunninRubicon said:
Teraflex makes a very good belly-up pan. $350. Gives you about 2 more inches under your belly/transfer case. Requires a CV-driveshaft. Teraflex offers these too. $350 also. Both are available via Quadratec or 4WD.com. Some manufacturers recommend a 1" body lift if you run an automatic tranny.
If you already have a 4" lift, this is the equivelent of running a 6" but using 33" tires instead. Stock lift can use the same and run your stock tires. But will give you the belly clearance of a 2" lift. Nice addition-keep your center of gravity low and your rig more stable. Unlimited's and four door JK are well served by this modification as they tend to drag their belly on most everything in stock format. In a "normal" Wrangler of standard length really shine with this mod and it will pay in dividends on every challenging trail.
* the Rubicon models have their locker compressors mounted on the belly pan.
These will require an simple mode to keep them secured.

great, thanks...

i did some research and i like clayton offroads belly skid, cuz apparently no mods are needed. ?

its not as flat/tucked, but i'm only going to put on an OME lift, and mebbe, mebbe a small body lift on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
__kmg__