Unlimited wrangler (LJ) Daily driver/expedition vehicle

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I definitely think that a lot of people need to get some good old fashion seat time, get stuck, get broke, and learn to recover. I can say that some of the best times I ever had off-road where in an almost bone stock TJ. The only additions it had where a set of disconnects in front, tool bag behind the seat, tow strap, shovel, axe, and a hi-lift. I went more places in that thing! I lucked out and had a great factory combo. This was before the Rubicon editions, but I loved the 3spd auto,trac-loc, and 3.73 gears with 30" tires. I took that thing all over the place and back. I swear I spent at least 3-4 evenings and most weekends doing something off-road or driving somewhere. I was lucky that I lived in an area where quality trails where literately only 10 minutes away.

I would also suggest that people stay away from the bolt-on jeep catalogs till they get a good deal of seat time first.

I had someone really wise tell me once that the FIRST thing you should do is bolt on a winch. This old codger had been 'wheeling since the 50s uranium booms. He said, and I quote 'All that stuff will only get you stuck farther from home, what you need is a winch on the front of that thing'. He had a very valid point. The more and more you build up the capability of a vehicle it has to be balanced out with your recovery skills, ability, and mechanical knowledge. Those locking differentials, bigger tires, alloy axles, fancy suspensions, etc all let you press you vehicle farther into the back country and farther from other people. You may be able to 'go anywhere' but your going to get stuck someday.....

OKRCON

Beowulf said:
o Broken zerk could still happen, but upgrade to Currie steering

I took one of the needle type zerk fittings out of a disfunctional set of u-joints and replaced the standard zerk after I broke mine off. It will be very difficult to break it off now! I have to grease my CTM's with the needle fitting periodically so it isn't an inconvienience at all.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
That is a great idea. I know sooner or later I'm going to snap the zerk off my Currie system as well. After all it is in the same spot as OEM.

OKRCON

Beowulf said:
That is a great idea. I know sooner or later I'm going to snap the zerk off my Currie system as well. After all it is in the same spot as OEM.

I can vouch for that. I have Currie setup and mine did break off.

ging

Great advice, "build to get you back". I'll be adding control arm skids and winch to the list.....

I know what your saying about enjoying the jeep as is. My first jeep was an 89 wrangler with 31's I bought in 93. Had a blast hunting and fishing and wheeling in it stock...great pride in concuring trails with a "little" jeep.

Then in 99 I added Mopar fuel injection and the black diamond coil over kit. If I had to do it again I definaitely would have done the injection but skipped the coil over. "high COG" made wheelin spooky.

sold it in 03....now back with the LJ :)

can't wait to get out and stretch the LJ's legs a bit...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
__kmg__