Unlimited wrangler (LJ) Daily driver/expedition vehicle

86cj

Explorer
kodiak 1232003,

I have a 04' LJ and have many of the same things in mind. I use mine for summer DD and long trips camping.
I run 3" BDS springs (air lift bags in rr) w/ JKS arms and use their 1.25" BL ,1" MML combo. It clears 285-75-16 MT/Rs on AEV wheels easily with no vibes on the stock shaft. I also ran 33x10.50x15 BFG A/t's on stock rims with a BB and the BL,MML combo for a couple thousand miles.
The LJ works great, I drove 1700 miles to MOAB and scared my self with its abilities and it's not locked yet. I went 849 miles the first day in a softtop without falling out the door when we stopped, that to me is its biggest accomplishment, but I have done 500 miles in our CJ so Im easily impressed.

I think your (don't go big) plan is a great one and easily accomplished.
If you put the MML on at the same time as your BL it actually makes engine and body go up 1" together and makes for a great combo and easy install. (if you do a OME lift and a tummy tuck you will need the help with vibes a MML provides). I get a little vibe if I am empty w/ no top and have to much air in my bags .

I also recommend looking at the 33x10.50-15 BFG A/T or M/T tires on your stock wheels. My LJ loved the B load range lightweight tires compared to my E load range MT/R's. The ride, power, handling, steering kickback, MPG, braking are all very good with that size tire. The sidewalls really took the horrible road conditions here and soaked them up nicely. Discount tire stocks them here, the 33x9.50-15 is special order. The 10.50" width will also clear your coil buckets on the rear springs, a wider tire needs spacers or wheels with more B/S for clearance. (some people get by with a 32x11.50 on stock wheels).

The load range is a C not B....My bad....I can tell you their alot easier to put on the rear tire carrier than my other tires and wheels.....

Good luck with your build up..............

Hey Beowulf,

Great setup looks good...I am still looking for that extra $1000, let us know how the tank install goes...........

Last edited:

DevEmp

I also have an LJ, doing a slow build up, and gearing it more for expedition rather than rock crawling. I bought it new just under a year ago, and I've learned a few things:

Brakes. It seems the TJs and LJs have an issue with the brakes, some get lucky and don't have the problem, most eventually do. Adding the weight of camping equipment, roof racks, trailers, etc only speeds up the process. My brakes became troublesome right at 11.9k miles - still under warranty, but the dealer only masked the problem by turning the rotors. I'm now just shy of 20k miles and the problem is starting again (I can feel the pulsing). While lifts and tires and roof racks are needed, your brakes are quite important, too. Most people don't even consider the brakes when making the laundry list of upgrades... something to think about.

SYE and Tummy Tucks. From the small amount of research I've done, you'll need an SYE to fit a proper tummy tuck.

Body Lift and Motor Mount Lift. My BL/MML is happening this month, so I don't have the first hand knowledge to back it up, but everywhere that I've read you either need to raise the motor mounts by and inch or mess with the radiator shroud and shift linkage. For the minimal effort it takes to lift the motor mounts it's probably worth it in the long run.

While my build plan is calling for larger tires (35" - mainly due to the size of the rocks around here), it's still to essentially keep everything simple and easy to replace (no exotic or hybrid specialty items). To date I've done the rear bumper and tire + jerry can carrier (Jeeperman, just before they went from bad to really bad), dual overhead console from Tuffy, and 31" BFG ATs. Next on my list are the 1" BL/MML, the Genright 30 gallon tank, Vanco's 15" Jeep brake kit, SYE, Tummy Tuck, rocker and corner armor, a roll cage, and 2 or 3" lift. My build plan also includes my Canadian M101, but that's only if I don't go on day trips on the weekends.

DevEmp

Beowulf said:
You will not need a SYE. The LJ has a fixed yoke.

I thought that only the Rubicons had the NV241 with the fixed yoke and the TJs and LJs had the NV231 with the slip yoke? Guess I'll need to crawl under and verify...

DevEmp

And verify I did:

dsc00957a.JPG

Last edited:

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I have confirmed that you will indeed need a SYE for the 231. I tend to forget that not all jeeps have the 241.

kodiak1232003

Adventurer
Well,
The next mod is well on its way...

picked up a milemarker winch plate....

and i'm going after work today to get my
$300.00 Chicago electric winch.

-some may disagree with the H.F. winch route, but i've heard enough good things about it that i've come to a few conclusions

1. its a perm. magnet motor and will draw remarkably less power than a series wound winch.
2. i can probably expect 2-3 years of solid "couple time a year" use.
3. it pulls slow, but it pulls hard.
4. H.F.'s warranty is just fine and will cover me if i need it. if it breaks in the field, i'm confident in my ability to use my sand ladders and hi lift jack to recover myself (i've been doing that up until now....lol).
5. it leaves me $$$ to put into things like skid plates or my rack system

i'll post some pics as soon as i have them :)

kodiak1232003

Adventurer
Well,
didn't do much yesterday, but i did get a chance to mount the winch to the winch channel.

both my wife and i were impressed at how nice it looks. Its Very nicely packaged and came with good instructions and VERY beefy grade 8 hardware.

The Solonoid(sp?) mounting bracket is well thought out and went on easily(mounts to the left of the winch drum, using the bolts that hold the spreader bars on, as well as with a man-sized zip tie around the body of the winch motor) .

Also, all bolt holes lined up (winch and fairlead) with the Milemarker mounting plate i bought.

(A note on the mounting plate: I didn't even try the stock chicago electric "comes with the winch" plate, due to numerous accounts that it takes some drilling to fit to my LJ Wrang1ler (TJ's too). For 70.00 @ 4Wheelparts, I am pretty confident that it will now "bolt right on"...well worth it")

included
1. winch
2. 100-ish feet of rope
3. solonoid bracket
4. hawse fairlead(it'll do for now, until i get my synth. line)
5. grade 8 hardware
6. solonoid pack with nice motor/battery terminal cables
7. good instructions
8. very big/beefy winch line hook, twice as big as the one that came with my old ramsey.

kodiak1232003

Adventurer
So, I've got a bit of a budget and am planning on adding a few things:

here's some idea's

1. nth degree engine skid
2. skid row control arm skids
3. diff armor
4. steering box skid
5. limb risers
6. some sort of cargo barrier, to keep my family and my load separate.
7. minimal roof rack (hard top mounted) for lightweight bulky stuff (campchairs, screentent, etc.)
Also, should i get a better battery than stock? or will my factory one work o.k. for the limited winch use that this rig will endure?

any other necessities? my mods are limited to making the truck more reliable on long trips into the desert/wilderness....and i'm also committed to leaving factory drivetrain alone. Just like the camel trophy rigs....all this jeep will get is some great tires and some heavier rate springs to handle the load.

DevEmp

kodiak1232003 said:
So, I've got a bit of a budget and am planning on adding a few things: 1. nth degree engine skid
Are you buying this used? I didn't see anything on AEV's product list that says they're selling Nth stuff yet.

2. skid row control arm skids
3. diff armor
4. steering box skid
While armor is never a bad thing, have you been hitting the steering box and control arms on rocks already? If you hit them often enough, maybe a lift with taller tires might be in order. Definately not cheaper than armor, but if you're constantly banging these 3 areas, lifting can only help.

A gas tank skid might be in order, too, especially if you're constantly dragging your underside. My new tank seems to be a magnet for big rocks.

5. limb risers
Limb as in tree limb? I've seen windshield pillar armor as well as some sort of steel cable that runs from the top of the windshield down to either side of the hood. If you're adding a roof rack, you might also want to extend it to protect the rack, as well, especially if you're mounting it just to the fiberglass. Also if you're spending the bulk of your time in the desert, will this mod be worth it's price?

6. some sort of cargo barrier, to keep my family and my load separate.
7. minimal roof rack (hard top mounted) for lightweight bulky stuff (campchairs, screentent, etc.)
After taking an LJ top off and watching it flex while 4 people carried it around, I'm kind of leery about mounting stuff directly to it. Sure it's more stable and rigid when bolted to the body, but watching it bow and flex didn't inspire a lot of confidence. I looked at either getting a roof rack or pulling a trailer and opted for the trailer. They both have their pros/cons, but for me it came down to having 2 torn and repaired rotator cuffs, not to mention wanting to lift the Jeep another 3 to 6 inches - a rack is more work than a trailer for me.

Also, should i get a better battery than stock? or will my factory one work o.k. for the limited winch use that this rig will endure?
I bought a new battery less than a year after I purchased the Jeep. Batteries (average generic battery, not the high end kind) in the Vegas heat typically don't last longer than 2 summers. If you plan on winching frequently you might want to consider a high grade battery, or even a dual battery set up. For emergency use only (once, twice a year?) you're probably ok. I'll be adding the dual batteries some time next year, not really for winching but just for the insurance of being able to start the Jeep in the desert heat.

any other necessities? my mods are limited to making the truck more reliable on long trips into the desert/wilderness....and i'm also committed to leaving factory drivetrain alone. Just like the camel trophy rigs....all this jeep will get is some great tires and some heavier rate springs to handle the load.
I can understand your wanting to keep the drivetrain stock, but I think a selectable locker in the rear might be worth considering. It all depends on where you're planning to go. For me in the southwest, there's a lot of rocks, loose sand, and possibly some snow. I've hit the tranny skid more than anything so far, so a SYE/CV shaft/tummy tuck are pretty high on my list, same with a few inches of suspension so I can fit larger tires (31" now, target is 35") and move my longer frame higher. If your trips involve a lot of desert time, increasing water capacity (either jerry can mounts on the back, or jugs inside) would rate high on my list, and possibly a pull pal to go with the winch. You said you already have a Hi Lift jack, it's a universal tool good for more than just changing tires.

kodiak1232003

Adventurer
DevEmp said:
Are you buying this used? I didn't see anything on AEV's product list that says they're selling Nth stuff yet.Their stuff is listed in a 4wdhardware catolog...wasn't sure on availability.

While armor is never a bad thing, have you been hitting the steering box and control arms on rocks already? If you hit them often enough, maybe a lift with taller tires might be in order. Definately not cheaper than armor, but if you're constantly banging these 3 areas, lifting can only help. I've only drug the control arm mounts a bit, i spotted my wife through the rest and came way unscathed...probably not going to lift it other that mebbe a coil puck in the rear to level out the ride and give a bit more room

A gas tank skid might be in order, too, especially if you're constantly dragging your underside. My new tank seems to be a magnet for big rocks. not a problem so far

Limb as in tree limb? I've seen windshield pillar armor as well as some sort of steel cable that runs from the top of the windshield down to either side of the hood. If you're adding a roof rack, you might also want to extend it to protect the rack, as well, especially if you're mounting it just to the fiberglass. Also if you're spending the bulk of your time in the desert, will this mod be worth it's price?you'd be surprised how narrow the trails are in anza-borrego/pinevalley. All my past rigs had desert pinstriping by the time i was done with them

After taking an LJ top off and watching it flex while 4 people carried it around, I'm kind of leery about mounting stuff directly to it. Sure it's more stable and rigid when bolted to the body, but watching it bow and flex didn't inspire a lot of confidence. I looked at either getting a roof rack or pulling a trailer and opted for the trailer. They both have their pros/cons, but for me it came down to having 2 torn and repaired rotator cuffs, not to mention wanting to lift the Jeep another 3 to 6 inches - a rack is more work than a trailer for me.i agree. I bought a congo cage today:wings: ...heavy duty here i come. lumber/xmas tree's/sand ladders/rooftop viewing/oddsandends...beware...i've got you in my sights. No room for trailers @ our apartment unfortunately. We looked @ a 101
trailer locally, but were like"ok, but where do we park it?"...lol...

I bought a new battery less than a year after I purchased the Jeep. Batteries (average generic battery, not the high end kind) in the Vegas heat typically don't last longer than 2 summers. If you plan on winching frequently you might want to consider a high grade battery, or even a dual battery set up. For emergency use only (once, twice a year?) you're probably ok. I'll be adding the dual batteries some time next year, not really for winching but just for the insurance of being able to start the Jeep in the desert heat. groovy

I can understand your wanting to keep the drivetrain stock, but I think a selectable locker in the rear might be worth considering. It all depends on where you're planning to go. For me in the southwest, there's a lot of rocks, loose sand, and possibly some snow. I've hit the tranny skid more than anything so far, so a SYE/CV shaft/tummy tuck are pretty high on my list, same with a few inches of suspension so I can fit larger tires (31" now, target is 35") and move my longer frame higher. If your trips involve a lot of desert time, increasing water capacity (either jerry can mounts on the back, or jugs inside) would rate high on my list, and possibly a pull pal to go with the winch. You said you already have a Hi Lift jack, it's a universal tool good for more than just changing tires.I go to the desert a lot, so watercans and pullpal...on the short list...check, check....thanks!

:D

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
__kmg__