Unlimited wrangler (LJ) Daily driver/expedition vehicle

kodiak1232003

Adventurer
rmarz said:
Kodiak,
Very cool! Congratulations. I have a 05 Rubicon LJ and am getting it geared for a drive to Alaska in 2008. I look forward to seeing your ride take shape with mods.

thanks!

what all are you doing to yours for the trip?

ox4mag

Explorer
Very awesome!! Congratulations to you as that is a great looking rig and your trip plans are going to be a blast!

rmarz

Adventurer
kodiak1232003 said:
thanks!

what all are you doing to yours for the trip?

Kodiak,
I am doing a lot of ‘un-doing’ it seems. Plan A for my Jeep was to make a fun ride for the family to go over the Rubicon with. We did that four times and now I am looking into making it more road trip friendly. Most of my first mods were for rock related driving: Long arm lift, gears and axles etc.

Current plans for the 08 AK trip include: smaller narrower tires (33’s) as I now have 35’s. Possibly manual hubs in front, I am looking into air bags to level out the Jeep with a trailer. Interior items such as more lighting, electrical outlets, storage for gear. Maybe a larger gas tank, but that seems less likely due to the suspension system I choose (Full Traction). It is kind of an endless project for me and the date of departure gets closer and closer.

Colorado Ron

Explorer
4Rescue said:
Thanks mom... Sometimes you're just so happy some expletives come out. It's just a word, it's not like he clubbed a bunch of baby seals.

Its great to see the original poster has alot better attitude than you have about this. I thought I posted it as nicely as I could figure a way to type it. Obviously you dont have kids or you might see things different.

Kodiak--Thanks very much for respecting others on the site. VERY cool attitude! Members like you is what makes this such a great site! Welcome and enjoy the ride!

Colorado Ron

Explorer
Kodiak,

Also if your interested, heres my crack at building a Jeep. Built in under a week, but sold it to find a bigger rig. Wheeled awsome!
http://www.offroad-adventure-travel.com/my-jeep-wrangler.html

Buena-Vista-2006-1.jpg

maximumrob

Adventurer
kodiak1232003 said:
great, thanks...

i did some research and i like clayton offroads belly skid, cuz apparently no mods are needed. ?

its not as flat/tucked, but i'm only going to put on an OME lift, and mebbe, mebbe a small body lift on.

My mods:
-Performance Accessories 1" body lift
-Teraflex Belly-up w/ locker relocation
-1" MML (no need to upgrade driveshaft, straightens out driveline after body lift and belly-up)
-Currie AntiRock swaybar
-Just bought a 2" ProComp kit with the adjustable shocks...may install it this weekend (should give me another 1" of height). Also picked up 3/4" coil spring spacers for the front to level 'er out.
Will get the 33's once I burn down the stock MTR's.

All these mods gets my belly almost 6" higher than stock without raising the vehicle very high. Total investment is less than $1,500 and I didn't screw with Jeep's engineering much at all!

Enjoy, sir!

kodiak1232003

Adventurer
well, i can say right now, that this truck won't be lifted enought to need cv driveshafts, motor mount lifts, etc.

limits me to about 2-3" suspension and 1" body.

easy to replace parts are like rule #1 on an Expedition vehicle, which i'm intent on creating with this vehicle.

:)

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I am running 255s on:

OME ZJ/LJ springs
JKS Upper and lower Control arms
Nth degree Tummy Tuck
Double Cardan Shaft (preemptive strict to avoid vibes)
JKS Body lift.

Rides great. Rides even better with a little cargo. As sit it sits in these pitures it is fully loaded for week long trip to the San Juans.

IMGP0097.jpg

IMGP0096.jpg

IMGP0100.jpg

Last edited:

kodiak1232003

Adventurer
Beowulf said:
I am running 255s on:

OME ZJ/LJ springs
JKS Upper and lower Control arms
Nth degree Tummy Tuck
Double Cardan Shaft (preemptive strict to advoid vibes)
JKS Body lift.

Rides great. Rides even better with a little cargo. As sit it sits in these pitures it is fully loaded for week long trip to the San Juans.

see, that is exactly the level that i think i'll stop at...VERY NICE!...it looks very capable without being much out of original specs at all.

what do 255's compute to? 31's? 32's? i'll have to go see.

what brand are your rock sliders? i'm in the market...

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
255/85R16's by BFG measure 33.2" X 10". The rocker guard is from AEV. So far this setup has been a great daily driver and it trail prowess has exceed all my needs so far.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
Brian,

Nice Jeep! I do my grocery shopping at Jacks Grocery in the first picture when I'm not in Vegas. I also spend quite a bit of time next door in Mom's Pie Shop:D

How was Corral Canyon? I haven't been there since the fire a few years ago.

kodiak1232003

Adventurer
update:)

NEW MODS....

1. Installed handheld (hardmount) Cobra CB radio
2. Installed Firestick Antenna on custom grill mount.
3. Installed ToughStuffProducts Hi-Lift Hood mount.

Pics Soon...:)

RunninRubicon

Adventurer
Your thoughts on keeping things close to stock are sound. You've done a good job of thinking your way through your modifications. Your choice of tire size is wise. The 33x12.50 shows more tire surface to the wind thus a poorer MPG number. This size exempts you from wider fender flares which savings on one more expense many of us stepped across. Unless your in alot of deep mud or sand you may never need the wider tire.

Cute mud flaps-are they required in Colorado? Is there a tire carrier in your future? I split/cracked a tail-gate on a YJ carrying that large tire in the stock location...may be something to consider though. Suppose you have heard this one before.

Nice, very nice. :arabia:

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
The mud flaps are there just to help keep mud and the winter Mag Chlor from being flung to far up the doors from the front tires. They work ok, but not great. Much better than nothing. The rears just seem to complete the look. No laws in CO that I know of.

Yes, a tire carrier is in my near future. I will be using the Shrockworks rear. This one was picked because it has an ultra low profile off the rear and has the wings that come up under the tub toward the rear tires. Makes it nice and easy to slide off of rocks without damaging the rear corners.

Unfortunately this was put on the back burner because I just bought a 30gal Safari tank and skid from Genright.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
__kmg__