unURBAN Adventures - Alaska to Argentina to AFRICA!

Bergum

Adventurer
ey guys so I am 15 and life is ahead of me. I am an adventerous person and feel this urge to do strange things

Start saving all your money, buy yourself a good car to travle far in, and just do it.

You have time for everything els later :wings:

unURBAN

Adventurer
Northen Nicaragua

First stop in Nicaragua was in Somoto were we had hoped to have a look at the El Cañon de Somoto that sounded like a great place. After crossing the border earlier in the day, a quick lunch, and arranged for a place to camp, we drove out to have a look at the entrance or start of the canyon. As we passed what looked like the main entrance we saw all the local guys/guides jumping up and looking at our cars and waving their arms for us to come their way. One or two kilometers further down on the road was another sign for the Cañon Park, but as we talked to the people living in the houses next to it, we learned that the path was just for hiking and not for cars. As we talked to them one of the “guides” came up to us on a push bike . We told him that we did not need a guide just wanted some info about the park and then we would make a decision if we would come back in the morning. He said that we could get it information at the main entrance. At the entrance they still did not want to listen when we said we did not want a guide, but they did not want to back off. After about one hour we had had enough after a long day and decided that this Cañon was not worth all the hassle and we decided not to go.

5598749552_baf61721b1_b_d.jpg

The next day we moved on and drove up to the coffee capital of Nicaragua, Matagalpa, and further on up in to the highlands. The harvesting of coffee was done a while before we got there so it was not much to see, only coffee bushes and a beautiful landscape. After a few “no”s on our requests for camping, we got to Jinotega at Sunset. We stopped by one Hotel, Sollentuna Hem, that was listed in the Lonely Planet Guide with parking space, to ask if they would let us camp in their parking lot. It turned out that the friendly owner had lived in Stockholm for 20 years and that her mother had opened up the Hotel and named it after the barrio, Sollentuna, where they lived in Stockholm. Hem means “home” in Swedish.

5598749092_c5cd4c770f_b_d.jpg

Kind of weird to check into one place and be able to talk in Norwegian (Norwegian and Swedish is almost the same language) and see photos of the Swedish king and queen on the wall.

5598749298_354e0c8324_b_d.jpg

But we were lucky and had found our home for the night.
From Jinotega we continued south on some smaller roads east of the Pan-American Highway.

5598750402_53f58ede43_b_d.jpg

Found a perfect lunch spot down by the river. The river was well used by the locals who came down for a refreshing bath or for doing their laundry. The women were carrying or bringing their laundry on a horse, than standing in the middle of the river scrubbing and washing it before returning home to hang it up.

5598170021_b243a5a0e9_b_d.jpg

Seeing their hard work remained me that I should not complain when I have to do my laundry at home. I can just put it all into a machine, press a button and take it out when it is done, and all this without leaving my house.

Back along the Pan-Americana Highway the sides of the road was covered in plastic and other trash that people throw out of their windows while they drive. Nicaragua is the countries where we have seen the most trash been thrown out of windows so far and driving along the road towards Managua was not very nice. We had to drive close to Managua to get to the road that we wanted to take further south. As we got closer to the city there were several police check points. We were pulled over twice and the second time the police officer was not just happy to see our papers, he kept on talking about a “fraction”. When we are stopped by local police is our tactic not to speak any Spanish at all, not that we speak much anyway. But we figured that a “fraction” might be something wrong. Since we did not understand what we had done wrong and did not understand much at all, the police officer eventually gave up on us and we could keep on driving.

A couple of days later we were pulled over by the police again and he was not happy to only see the copies of our driver’s license, he wanted the ORIGINAL. So he got our international driver’s license. Again the police officer talked about the “fraction” and we realized it was a fault we had done, but we did not really understand what it was. Then he made a drawing of the “fraction”, and it turned out that I had crossed a line between two lanes where I was not allowed to. It was true that I had done this and probably had done the same two days earlier too. After almost five months on the roads south of the USA border we have started to adapt some of the local driving styles, but still it haven’t got so far as to overtake in curves. The police man wanted to give us a ticket of 20 USD. When we were able to communicate that we could pay the ticked in the bank, he said that he had to hold on to the driver’s license until we had done so. The officer never wrote a ticket, he just wanted us to pay him 20 USD so he could give us the license back. We did not want to do this and we just waited and he waited with my license and every now and again repeated that we had to pay the ticked. We said the BANK and he just looked down in the street. After half an hour he realized he would not make any money on us and gave us the license back, and gave us a warning saying that in Nicaragua when one got a ticked one had to pay it. Yes, when I have done something wrong, which I had done, I will pay my fine, but not into a police man’s pocket!

5598752458_eed13502aa_b_d.jpg

South off Managua we found Laguna de Apoyo, a beautiful lake in a volcano crater.

5598751082_d8afc594e5_b_d.jpg

At the lake we met Tom and Janet (www.adventurouspirits.com), and we had some good days and evenings camping at the lake. We also went exploring to Volcano Masaya, and in their museum we could all see where we are…

5598751192_c82cccd1e5_b_d.jpg

E&M

joy

Observer
birthday

Hi Aspen,

What a way to celabrate your birthday.
happy birthday and keep on doing what you're doing - have the best times.

Joy

Attachments

• 215010_1871036048933_1032070902_2142645_5307155_n.jpg
    215010_1871036048933_1032070902_2142645_5307155_n.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 143

unURBAN

Adventurer
Hi Aspen,
What a way to celabrate your birthday.
happy birthday and keep on doing what you're doing - have the best times.
Joy

Thanks, Joy!
And yes, it is... :) Must be about 30 degrees celsius in the sea. Nice!!

Nice pic by the way. Any chance this could be on my way home...? :-D

E

unURBAN

Adventurer
Border crossing - Nicaragua to Costa Rica

We'd heard that this crossing was going to be chaotic, and it was! However, it is so in a not too stressful way. So if you are going this way soon, here is a full description with directions and pictures of the relevant places and offices.

Border crossings at unURBAN.no

E&M

unURBAN

Adventurer
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua

5629710580_0d371e5ce9_b_d.jpg

Okay! According to our blog we are tecnically in Costa Rica, but I just had to post a few pics from the beach in Nicaragua. After a tight schedule from Mexico and south, we felt like taking a few days "offline". Vi toook a right from the Pan-Am and drove down to San Juan del Sur, not far from the Costa Rican border. Vi had a tip about camping possibilities just north of town at a nice beach resort.

5629710266_b946f3f020_b_d.jpg

San Juan del Sur

When we arrived we met our friends from Switserland, Franc & Isabelle, with their orange VW bus. A reallly nice surprise. Our friends from Laguana Apoyo (adventurouspirits.com and nordsued.ch)was also there, and we had some fun and social days on the beach. A couple of days later they alll left to different destinations, and we were alone on the camping area. We had a perfect break, and were laying in the hammock reading books for almost a week...

5598755124_5e75892a7f_b_d.jpg

Camp, just the right distance from the beach...

5629711828_6596bcdf83_b_d.jpg

Restaurant and bar...

5629130305_13fa4245de_b_d.jpg

Other guests relaxing at Camping Mathilda

5598174975_0a7e9dab2c_b_d.jpg

But, as they say in Matrix, everything that has a beginning has an end. We packed up a monday morning and headed for the border and Costa Rica. More about the crossing on unURBAN.no, and more about lazy days in Costa Rica soon!

E&M

Last edited:

unURBAN

Adventurer
Northern Costa Rica

We had read and heard that the roads in Costa Rica should be rougher and good for 4x4 driving. Not long after the border on our way to the Parque Nacional Rincón de la Vieja area the GPS told us to take a shortcut that was not in our map. We decided to give it a try. The road got more and more narrow, but it was a beautiful drive on small farm roads.

5629136627_036db7d14d_b_d.jpg

When the road took us past some mango trees with loads of ripe mangoes we just had to stop to pick some.

5629718816_db56e9063a_b_d.jpg

Next morning we had pancakes with mangos and honey for breakfast, and I do not know if we can have a better start on the day than this.
After breakfast we headed up to the Parque Nacional Rincón de la Vieja and

5629137903_61b6f7d519_b_d.jpg

hiked a trail in the park to have a closer look at

5629720348_a66037d12e_b_d.jpg

mud pools, boiling hot springs,

5629754586_e450c0a30a_b_d.jpg

(this is the steam from boiling hot springs in the trees)

5629173881_d1e3f570a2_b_d.jpg

and strangler figs.

From this National Park area we wanted to try some back roads to Arenal instead of driving back to the Highway. A couple of the roads we took was privately owned, and we had to pay 1, 50 USD per person to drive on these roads. Some of the roads turned out a lot better than we had expected, but that was because a windmill park had been put up in the area.

5629755998_3a85f6d54d_b_d.jpg

Still, we had a nice drive to Arenal even if we missed on one turn so that Espen had to drive the last bit on tarmac.

In Nuevo Arenal is Tom’s German bakery that we had heard rumors about up in Nicaragua. So when we were in the area, we made sure to stop. It was the best bread we’d had in a long, long time. We can actually not remember the last time we had so good bread, but it must have been in a special bakery in North America somewhere.

From what we read in the Lonely Planet, advertisement and signs along the road, we get the impression that we can zip line our way through all of Costa Rica. Since our budget does not include those amounts of money, we will continue to drive the Nissan Patrol across Costa Rica. Someone said the magic words “Not possible to drive” to Espen regarding the road on south side of Lago de Arenal, so we had to give it a try.

5629177553_d8ec5927b4_b_d.jpg

Coming from the East we had the biggest river crossing in the beginning of the drive, but it was no problem at all now in the dry season. We can imagine the crossing will be a little harder in the rainy season, but it is definitely a drivable road.

5654564076_9ccb6a042c_b_d.jpg

The rest of the drive was nice and smooth, and we had some great views of Vulcán Arenal.

From the volcano area we headed to the beaches on Nicoya Peninsula.

E&M

Last edited:

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
It is really cool to visit these trips reports and see people in the same places you have traveled in your truck. The random picture where I say to myself, hey I have been there! The interesting stories and reports from people about their experiences. It keeps bringing me back to this forum and checking up on these trip reports!

Great stuff E & M!!

When you get to Southern Costa Rica....I really recommend you go out on the Peninsula de Osa. It is one of the last really remote and undeveloped areas in Costa Rica. For the most part the jungle out on the peninsula has never been logged. It is really a great place for an overlander to explore in Costa Rica. It sees much less tourist traffic than the rest of the country, it is just not easy to access for the average tourist. As a result, I got a much different feel and experience here then anywhere else in Costa Rica.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal