Update: Bought It - WTB: Land Rover LR3

dbrown

I've had a thing for the LR3 for a while and have tried others and they're just not for me. So, I'm in the market...

While I'm non-discriminatory, I do have a preference for the 05/06 models, especially with black interior. If yours is gray, black, green or white, that's even better. I'm willing to fly and drive if it's road worthy and a cannot beat deal.

Located in SoCal. Thanks!

Last edited:

gabrielef

I've had a thing for the LR3 for a while and have tried others and they're just not for me. So, I'm in the market...

While I'm non-discriminatory, I do have a preference for the 05/06 models, especially with black interior. If yours is gray, black, green or white, that's even better. I'm willing to fly and drive if it's road worthy and a cannot beat deal.

Located in SoCal. Thanks!

Any reason you specifically want an ‘05? I’d do an ‘06-‘08. Mine had 270K miles and they are such a great rig. I’ll keep my eye out in NorCal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OregonGX

Here is a well sorted one in Portland. The guy who dials these in is in the local LR club. My mechanic also might have one coming up for sale if you want a lower price point.

Paisano3352

Any reason you specifically want an ‘05? I’d do an ‘06-‘08. Mine had 270K miles and they are such a great rig. I’ll keep my eye out in NorCal!

Did it give up the ghost after the 270? I’ve wanted to grab one as well, but have too many cars right now as it is.

gabrielef

Did it give up the ghost after the 270? I’ve wanted to grab one as well, but have too many cars right now as it is.

3adce9869fa0cc37318c89255642f776.jpg

No, she’s still going strong! I just keep taking good care of her.

dbrown

I'm open to all years. I was under the impression that 05/06 was a Ford/Jaguar motor and may be easier in the long run. But I suppose at this point, if the car's still working, it's good! The only other thing I was thinking is that electronic e-brake that starts at 07. ?‍♀️

Thanks for keep a heads up! Stoked for when mine comes around.

BTW - I ❤ yours!

dbrown

Wow! That one does look nice! Unfortunately, it's well beyond my budget... LMK if your mechanic decides to sell.

Thank you so much!!

Here is a well sorted one in Portland. The guy who dials these in is in the local LR club. My mechanic also might have one coming up for sale if you want a lower price point.

gabrielef

I'm open to all years. I was under the impression that 05/06 was a Ford/Jaguar motor and may be easier in the long run. But I suppose at this point, if the car's still working, it's good! The only other thing I was thinking is that electronic e-brake that starts at 07.

BTW - I yours!

All years of the LR3 have the electronic ebrake, mine has it, and I don’t use it too often. I’ve heard the actuator box can mess up but mine has been fine since I bought it in Feb of 2012.

And thanks!!

gamaray

As far as I’m aware, they all have the same 4.4 engine (v8 version) and all have e-brakes (which is a pain). If anything, I’ve heard later model years being slightly more reliable. But mine is an 05 and has been absolutely reliable so if I were you I would be open to a well maintained truck from all model years.

I'm open to all years. I was under the impression that 05/06 was a Ford/Jaguar motor and may be easier in the long run. But I suppose at this point, if the car's still working, it's good! The only other thing I was thinking is that electronic e-brake that starts at 07. ?‍♀️

BTW - I ❤ yours!

gabrielef

As far as I’m aware, they all have the same 4.4 engine (v8 version) and all have e-brakes (which is a pain). If anything, I’ve heard later model years being slightly more reliable. But mine is an 05 and has been absolutely reliable so if I were you I would be open to a well maintained truck from all model years.

They also offered the V6 engine for awhile. But yes, the V8’s were the same from ‘05-‘09 (@300HP). In 2010 when it became the LR4 the engine changed but was still a V8 (@370HP). Honestly, if you can find a 2010-2013 LR4, I’d do that, with ‘12 and ‘13 being the best two years.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Couple things- study up on LR4 5.0 engine issues, primarily the engine timing chain/tensioner components, which typically is a $5k fix.

Next, I am considering parting with our '07 LR3, Stornaway Gray w/ 84k miles, 7-seater w/ cold weather package. We are the second owner, and completed a very thorough 75k mi service flushing all fluids from coolant to diffs to tranny/t-case and brakes, new belts (and tensioners) and hoses and coolant resovoir- including thermostat and housing, etc etc. Then did suspension with +2" OME coils/shocks with the ability to return to air if desired by simply flipping a switch and replacing air bags. New tires and LCAs, etc etc. And finally new SD rack, ARB bumper w/ winch. Was planning to replace the Defender or have it for our daughter, but neither is likely at this point, hence all the work on a low mile single owner vehicle...
Only pic I have (that isn't too large file) is below -used comparing 18" vs 20" tire/wheels- have both sets, your choice

v8gFaywUTcWc5RpsVhkIGA.jpg

gabrielef

Couple things- study up on LR4 5.0 engine issues, primarily the engine timing chain/tensioner components, which typically is a $5k fix.

Next, I am considering parting with our '07 LR3, Stornaway Gray w/ 84k miles, 7-seater w/ cold weather package. We are the second owner, and completed a very thorough 75k mi service flushing all fluids from coolant to diffs to tranny/t-case and brakes, new belts (and tensioners) and hoses and coolant resovoir- including thermostat and housing, etc etc. Then did suspension with +2" OME coils/shocks with the ability to return to air if desired by simply flipping a switch and replacing air bags. New tires and LCAs, etc etc. And finally new SD rack, ARB bumper w/ winch. Was planning to replace the Defender or have it for our daughter, but neither is likely at this point, hence all the work on a low mile single owner vehicle...
Only pic I have (that isn't too large file) is below -used comparing 18" vs 20" tire/wheels- have both sets, your choice

View attachment 634987

Yes, the timing chain will be interesting. I got my LR4 with 42K mikes so I’m hoping to avoid that repair until around 100K+.

And your rig looks like a great option. All the big ticket items are addressed. Do you still have the airbags?

dbrown

They also offered the V6 engine for awhile. But yes, the V8’s were the same from ‘05-‘09 (@300HP). In 2010 when it became the LR4 the engine changed but was still a V8 (@370HP). Honestly, if you can find a 2010-2013 LR4, I’d do that, with ‘12 and ‘13 being the best two years.

I know this is silly. I don't have the same crush on the LR4's at the most basic level. LR3 is the one. And now, with all of your advice, I've not a preference for years. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal