Ursa Minor Pop-Top Jeep JK

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Relatively warm, yeah. I mean it is still a tent after all. But with a warm sleeping bag it's cozy and the inside temp is definitely higher than outside. Actually I woke up sweating on mount hood last week and didn't have a problem getting out from the sleeping bag to get dressed. It retains more heat than sleeping in my old VW van at least!
My wife has been comfortable in it when it's cold, though she is always colder than I (I'm a warm sleeper).

We have been using a Teton sports mammoth queen sized sleeping bag rated at 0 degrees. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000F38YHI/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?pc_redir=1385444895

The bag is massive, so I have unzipped it and usually only bring the larger half to cover up with. It is very warm. Underneath we use two cheap fleece sleeping bags that I bought at dicks that zip together to make a queen sized fleece bag, that unzips on each side. So far this has worked really well for us. It allows some flexibility if its too hot or cold, whether I'm solo or my wife is with me, and it isn't confining like mummy bags. The full bag really takes a ton of space if you carry it, and is nearly impossible to stuff back into the sack in a confined area. Even one side is too thick to close in the top.

Sounds like you had a great summer! I spent 4-5 weeks out at one point, but once I had to come back home to fly to work it became a pain to get too far away again in my normal time off.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Not that big heavy sleeping bag. I leave a (lighter) pillow and the fleece sleeping bags up there all the time. I could leave two pillows up there but it's a little trickier to lower the top and drop the panel back in place when you have more stuff up there.
A smaller stuff bag (or two) will close up in the top just fine too, I just don't like using the small confining mummy bags if I have another choice.

I would estimate there is about 4" of dead space when closed, or 2" on top of the foam pads. Then you need to leave a bit of room for the soft sides to fold in.

jeepovich

Explorer
Today I got the tour of J30 for the first time but it felt like I knew the product very well already due to this thread. Thanks guys. John showed me the shop and there was one unit getting wiring done. I can appreciate to see the camper structure in the nude since I'm a gear head. Attention to detail says it all. Any ways .... I'm now a future owner of J30!!! Should be ready before February!!!

jeepovich

Explorer
Thanks Brian. Do you think it is possible to heat the " upstairs " with one panel removed and heater on (engine running)? I currently have a sleeping deck inside the jeep and often utilize vehicle heater.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Thanks Brian. Do you think it is possible to heat the " upstairs " with one panel removed and heater on (engine running)? I currently have a sleeping deck inside the jeep and often utilize vehicle heater.

Absolutely. When it's cold out, I'll preheat the top this way when I set up. I have crawled down and cranked up the engine in the morning for the same reason. (An auto with remote start would be sweet).
The JK is surprisingly air tight. With the heat on and the windows up you'll see the soft sides of the camper bulge out. Just unzip one of the window a fair amount and the old air will purge out and the top will fill with heat (likewise for a/c).

I haven't bothered with trying to "plumb" heat up there. I simply pre heat it when it's really cold, climb into my sleeping bag and stay nice and warm.

I suspect that, if you wanted heat with both panels in, you could just as easily cut out a small hole in the "floor" somewhere and modify one of the cushions. The air is going to take the easiest path out of the jeep when it's pressurized so it should work all the same. Though I would consult John before drilling anywhere that might compromise structural integrity. Personally I don't see the need though.

Last edited:

bikemanx2

Observer
Does anyone with one of these reside in the Denver area of along the front range I would love to check one out in person

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

JDaPP

Adventurer
Does anyone with one of these reside in the Denver area of along the front range I would love to check one out in person

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Sorry not in Denver, but if any one in the Tampa area wants to see it I am willing to show the top off

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach