Utah: The Maze District - A Family Affair

Willman

Utah: The Maze

What a fun and very pretty place. Nothing like driving over 175 miles of sweet red rock and dirt roads! The weather was great!

Note to Self/Things learned:

• Sportsmobiles are once again very cool.
  • Cleaning up-chuck is not fun - smelly too!
  • Switch-back tight turns don't scare me!
  • Hiking in sand is quite the workout!
  • Having great friends that go that extra mile are priceless!
  • Adventure is about getting out with a full tank of gas and a fridge full of food!
  • The women in the group were awesome!
  • Nothing like cooking dutch oven dinner out in the back country

Moody and i drove down and met KC at the Goblin Valley turn-off and camped there for the night. We woke up to tractors starting up getting ready for their day of work.

DSC_0011.jpg

Horseshoe Canyon....Great hike with some awesome history!

DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0043.jpg

DSC_0048.jpg

We camped at the Horseshoe parking lot. Not a bad place to camp either. Great views. We were able to meet up with a fellow ExPo'er with their Sportmobile. All of the women were wishing they too own a great rig like that....I think the heater thing was the tip of the iceberg....

The next morning we headed off to the Maze...

DSC_0060.jpg

The views kept getting better and better!

DSC_0070.jpg

DSC_0086.jpg

DSC_0079.jpg

DSC_0088.jpg

The Moody Fam!

DSC_0101.jpg

Cond....

Last edited:

Willman

More..

We camped at the Wall for the first night.....I think this was my favorite campsite so far!

DSC_0125.jpg

My little one....boy do they sure grow up fast!!

DSC_0137.jpg

DSC_0127.jpg

DSC_0152.jpg

DSC_0178.jpg

Then we headed off to the Doll house for lunch and then off to the Teapot rock.

DSC_0222.jpg

DSC_0210.jpg

DSC_0209.jpg

Then we camped at the Teapot rocks and headed home Sunday.....Going to Hite..

DSC_0269.jpg

Overall......What a killler trip! Great food, great friends, and a ton of great memories! Thanks Guys!

:sombrero:

durango_60

Explorer
Looks fantastic, so bummed that I could not make it. Maybe you'll take me sometime now that you know the neighborhood...

jim65wagon

Thanks for the pics. Looks like a great trip! Looks like I'm adding another cool place to my "Places to Visit" folder!

luk4mud

Explorer
Must ... not ... look .. at... cool... backcountry ... pictures ... while ... at... work. Not ... good ... motivational ... material ....

Willman

Must ... not ... look .. at... cool... backcountry ... pictures ... while ... at... work. Not ... good ... motivational ... material ....

I'm having a hard time getting back into working myself.....:ylsmoke:

I heart the Maze. Did you guys hike to the Spanish Bottoms at the Dollhouse?

We were tight on time....We did stop for lunch there. What's the hike like Kurt?

Next time!

:snorkel:

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
We were tight on time....We did stop for lunch there. What's the hike like Kurt?

Next time!

:snorkel:

Down its a breeze, its the climb back up that is bit of a chore. When you do get down there next time give yourself time for a swim in the Colorado, a refreshing reward for the upcoming hike back to the Dollhouse sites. There is a neat granary not far from the Dollhouse sites that you can pair up with the Spanish Bottom for a nice days worth of exploring.

Did you go in and out at Hans Flat or did you exit through Hite or Poison Springs. If the latter how was the Poison Springs crossing of the Dirty Devil? Usually pretty low this time of year but with all that wet weather we've had it might have been running fast. Any issues crossing?

Lichen

Explorer
Someday those cute kids will realize how lucky they have been to do trips like this. I haven't heard the word "up-chuck" in quite some time.

Moody

Needs to get out more
After a sub-freezing night on the side of the road near Goblin Valley SP, we awoke to diesel motors and trucks being moved around. We quickly tore down our makeshift camp and went South to Hanksville to gas up.

We stopped at the beginning of the trail to remove some air from the tires, ensuring our dental work stayed intact.

The adults:

dsc0408v.jpg

Trucks:
dsc0411lk.jpg

The Warning:

dsc0413.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater