"Vader's Chariot" Gen3 2001 XLS build shenanigans

eco1og

When researching Montero’s I remember reading “Yoshi”, “Rambo Penguin” and more cool builds in the past. Pretty stoked to add to the collections and thru our Montero passion bring their values up like $GME! Is it a coincidence that Mitsu logo is triple diamonds?

Went to the dark side by getting a black Montero & sold my little electric MiEV the next day that I had for 3 years prior. Great little car that required nothing and just worked, but the range was only 60 miles or so and 50 if AC was on (I'm in Florida so it's usually on).

Been on a lookout for a fun car (our main one is a Infiniti Q50 Hybrid Sport). Almost pulled a trigger on an Abarth 500 Cabrio - manual, turbo noises, straight pipe from factory, white with white rally wheels and red stripes/decals. But was too clapped out sadly and a too impractical. Considered 4Runners, Sequoias, Xterras, manual C5 corvettes and whatever else fun for under 8-10k. Little MiEV only had 7k miles put on it in 3 years of me having it so I just wanted something interesting and fun.

After 6 months finally found something within miles I was ok with and price range. 2001 XLS in meh shape with 120k miles. Mechanically it looked good (other than normal maintenance I'd need anyways). Interior/exterior could use some (a lot of I mean) freshening up.

I'll make the 2nd post all of the maintenance I can think of.

P.S. The "Vader's Chariot" is what my buddy called it once a lot of the exterior stuff was done. So we'll go with that for now.

Attachments

• montero1small.jpg
    montero1small.jpg
    616.4 KB · Views: 10
  • montero2small.jpg
    montero2small.jpg
    653.2 KB · Views: 12
  • montero3smallbumper.jpg
    montero3smallbumper.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:

eco1og

Next part wasn't too exciting and rather $$$, but let's see if I can remember everything that got done:

All new unless mentioned:
Timing belt & water pump OEM with timing belt adjuster and updated bolt
Transmission pan filter & gaskets
Spark plugs and new wires
All fluids: brakes, diff, oil, transfer case.
New brake pads front and rear.
New ignition coils & EGR valve
Proper injector cleaning
Crank angle sensor
Clock spring
Double din radio (moved AC/Heat controls down). Haven't gotten around to connecting backup camera yet (going to re-do the carpet in the interior anyhow so we'll do it then).
Dash & vents from a 01-02 limited with zero broken tabs.
Door panels with leather from 01-02 limited
New crossmember bushings

Probably missing something. Will update if I remember. Was meant to write everything down, have the receipts for big stuff, but wasn't too worried about the little things.

Removed 2nd and 3rd row seats as well. 2nd row had rivets put in for some reason, had to drill them out. Bottoms were threaded in - was able to get 6 out of 8 free'd up. One is still in each. Want to put quick release Honda Odyssey type seats in the rear eventually and then build the sleeping platform with that in mind.

P.S. The oddball tire pic is the 275/50 or 275/55R20 a friend had laying around - his wife FJ Cruiser got totalled and they had a set of almost new wheels. Way too heavy and gaudy but I figured I'd at least try. Yeah that was a no-go.

Attachments

• montero4small.jpg
    montero4small.jpg
    402.4 KB · Views: 19
  • montero5small.jpg
    montero5small.jpg
    408 KB · Views: 20
  • montero6small.jpg
    montero6small.jpg
    704.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

eco1og

Well while the truck was at friends I decided to doodle some signs. Been woodworking as a hobby for a couple years now.
I've done quite a few for friends, but been wanting to make something for my garage that's car related (I have a few Fallout Vault Boy & Nuka Cola type signs).

All cut with a jigsaw out of 3/4 inch plywood and 1/4 inch backing. Did Mitsu, Dakar, Shogun and Pajero.

Build video is here:

In the first pic you can also see the "new" carpets drying after being washed and pressure washed again.
Traded a Dakar and Mitsu signs for a new bumper (without the headlight spayers) and a spare cover.

Next project coming up is going to bedline all the gold trim (and red spare cap).

Attachments

• 1small1.jpg
    1small1.jpg
    591.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 1small4.jpg
    1small4.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
  • 1small2.jpg
    1small2.jpg
    437.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 1small3.jpg
    1small3.jpg
    378 KB · Views: 8
  • 1small5.jpg
    1small5.jpg
    278.1 KB · Views: 8

eco1og

Next up was the bedliner. Never used an air compressor before (other than for roofing gun, but someone else set it up back then) neither I've used a spray gun, but been wanting to try so bedliner seemed like the perfect choice to get into it. Chose Raptorliner for good reviews and it came with the spray gun in the kit.

Looked up some tutorials, bought some degreaser, adhesion promoter for plastics & self etching primer for metals.
Decided to try it on my spare grille, 2nd front bumper, bottom bash plate under it and the spare tire cover. Completely forgot the adhesion promoter and primer plus had some learning issues with the compressor and gun leaking air. Once everything was tightened up - spraying it was a joy.
Also cut the old bumper with a jigsaw - real easy to do actually.

Next day I prepped the good bumper, all the sides and rear bumper. Didn't forget the adhesion promoter or primer this time. Had to get everything done by the next day as it was Saturday and the Florida Montero guys were going to Hard Rock Offroad Park. So just a long day of prep and sanding and cleaning/degreasing/masking. Because I sprayed and fumbled a fair bit the day before - ran out of 1 bottle (kit that I bought comes with 4) - ran out and fortunately Autozone had last kit in stock. Finished spraying almost in the dark.

Up before 5 am and frantic putting the Monty back together. Done by about 10 or 11 and hit the road.

Overall if you're on the fence about bedlining - do it. Super fun, pretty easy to do (just clean the gun with acetone or that bedliner is real sticky and solidifies pretty quick) and lays down very evenly. Such a cool product. Even sprayed it on an extra Dakar sign for fun and it came out amazing!

I'll probably write up about the offroad in the next post, but the bedlining (and a very little offroad) is here in the video:

Attachments

• 1small6.jpg
    1small6.jpg
    590.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 1small7.jpg
    1small7.jpg
    874.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 1small8.jpg
    1small8.jpg
    570.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 1small9.jpg
    1small9.jpg