Vanilla Gorilla: 2017 Power Wagon build

Explorerinil

Observer
I’m glad I did not pull the trigger on a exp 1 bumper... I hope those issues don’t persist, I won’t remove my back up cam and sensors... I like that option too much. Is your tailgate getting damaged from the tire carrier?

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
Agreed. The bumpers look great, but it needs to work with the heavy 37s everyone is running on these trucks. And with a 37 on the tailgate blocking your view you definitely need the camera and backup sensors to work correctly.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I like the 80's! I have the same SDHQ A-pillar brackets in the garage and I'll likely run the XL80's when I get around to putting them on.

Sorry to hear about your E1 bumper issues, that's a real bummer.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
in a bout of anger, i pulled the E1 bumper off today. To put the stock bumper back on i had to break out the Miller to get the ears of the hitch on

tacked

Untitled by Will Marshal, on Flickr

burned (i am not a welder, or a fabricator)

back to basics (FYI, backup sensors work seamlessly again)

On friday i ordered the BD foglight brackets. So i pulled the Squadrons off the mounts and put the XL80's on and built a harness for them. Im going to wire the Squadron Pro amber's up to the sPOD as auxiliary inclement weather lights, and then take the regular squadron's that i had set up for my reverse lights and set them up inline with the factory wiring for the fog lights.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
Just curious what are you going to do with the exp1 bumper? Are you voicing your concerns to them? I’m surprised they blame some of the issues on the “large” 37 inch tires... their ad had 40’s in the picture.

unsure. its sitting in my garage right now. They're well aware of my displeasure and issues with it. unless they want it back, i'll probably end up selling it for a heavy heavy discount so someone can make any alterations they want to it to bring it to spec and not be out gobs of money. its a great bumper, just not working for me.

Ravenmad

Observer
Just curious what are you going to do with the exp1 bumper? Are you voicing your concerns to them? I’m surprised they blame some of the issues on the “large” 37 inch tires... their ad had 40’s in the picture.

Owwwwwwwww, this is not good to hear. The tire and wheel combo on my truck weighs 168 pounds... I am like you guys, this is very unacceptable, if you have not sorted out your product that you charge a premium for then don't sell it... These companies are so eager to make money that they don't take the time to make sure their product is correct and thought out... Disgusting, really disgusting....

And yes, all their pics of the product have a 40 on it, perhaps they should put a stock 32 on it with a disclaimer that if you are running steel wheels the swing mechanism will be overloaded or, perhaps it should have a sticker on it that sess " not intended for use" ....

Sorry you guys are having these problems... Hard earned money ----- out the window

rehammer81

Super disappointed to hear about your E1 experience. I really thought that was going to be my solution when I go to 37s. Now I'm back to searching. :-(

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
Owwwwwwwww, this is not good to hear. The tire and wheel combo on my truck weighs 168 pounds... I am like you guys, this is very unacceptable, if you have not sorted out your product that you charge a premium for then don't sell it... These companies are so eager to make money that they don't take the time to make sure their product is correct and thought out... Disgusting, really disgusting....

And yes, all their pics of the product have a 40 on it, perhaps they should put a stock 32 on it with a disclaimer that if you are running steel wheels the swing mechanism will be overloaded or, perhaps it should have a sticker on it that sess " not intended for use" ....

Sorry you guys are having these problems... Hard earned money ----- out the window
Super disappointed to hear about your E1 experience. I really thought that was going to be my solution when I go to 37s. Now I'm back to searching. :-(

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

UPDATE

In the spirit of full disclosure, i Just received an email from E1 that says that they have addressed the issues above by spacing the bumper further away from the body slightly by 3/4- 1" and stiffened the arms. this will allow the inevitable flex, without contacting the body in any fashion. They're also removing the sensor option as they've gotten a 50/50 split on feedback from those saying that their sensors work or do not.

SO it looks like they've taken it to heart and honestly i regret saying anything, but i won't be deleting the comments to back out of it. If you guys were interested in the E1 bumper, i would say you are safe to place your order, being that the only complaints i had about it have now been fixed with the orders heading into production.

Kingsize24

Hmm... I wonder if they corrected mine before shipping out last week? I guess I need to make a call. Thank you for the update.
UPDATE

In the spirit of full disclosure, i Just received an email from E1 that says that they have addressed the issues above by spacing the bumper further away from the body slightly by 3/4- 1" and stiffened the arms. this will allow the inevitable flex, without contacting the body in any fashion. They're also removing the sensor option as they've gotten a 50/50 split on feedback from those saying that their sensors work or do not.

SO it looks like they've taken it to heart and honestly i regret saying anything, but i won't be deleting the comments to back out of it. If you guys were interested in the E1 bumper, i would say you are safe to place your order, being that the only complaints i had about it have now been fixed with the orders heading into production.

Ravenmad

Observer
UPDATE

I wonder if they will send out a spacer kit as a retro for the previous bumpers? I will be interested in hearing from anyone who buys the new and improved version to see if they have actually fixed the problem. The back up sensors are not a huge issue to me, so long as I have a camera I don't need the sensors...

Littlehouse

Adventurer
Why would you regret it? You bought an expensive bumper that didn’t live up to your expectations. Posts like yours keep businesses honest, and not only help the consumer, but the business as well through improved products.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
I didn’t buy it, I was sponsored - however I didn’t know, or atleast it wasn’t made clear to me that mine was a prototype build and not the actual production model. That’s why I regret it. I always preface that I’ll give honest feedback even if it’s free, but I regret not giving E1 more time to respond before I said what I said.

Why would you regret it? You bought an expensive bumper that didn’t live up to your expectations. Posts like yours keep businesses honest, and not only help the consumer, but the business as well through improved products.

Oilbrnr

Hmm, interesting. Bottomline, for the coin we're forking over, the ******** better work. I don't mind not having the D ring mounts as they are poser jeep points anyway and I bet they are causing the sensors to alert. That said, I want the sensors to work. And, if any of you RAM folks have researched, you'll know the camera wiring is a challenge. But, for 3k+, uh hello.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
Hmm, interesting. Bottomline, for the coin we're forking over, the **** better work. I don't mind not having the D ring mounts as they are poser jeep points anyway and I bet they are causing the sensors to alert. That said, I want the sensors to work. And, if any of you RAM folks have researched, you'll know the camera wiring is a challenge. But, for 3k+, uh hello.

So the good news is that the stock wiring harness is more than long enough to relocate the camera with the kit they include. If you look at my previous photos it’s relocated to the top of the license Plate with the same offset. This means the backup lines for the edge of the vehicle are in the correct place, but they’re about a foot too narrow now since you dropped he camera two feet from the top of the tailgate. You also don’t have quite as good of view since it’s lower, but more than ample for general backup.

Now, if you do in fact do this, you lose the power lock on the tailgate unless you chose to lengthen that portion of the harness. The upside to that though is that the split portion of the harness that runs to both the camera and the tailgate lock is a 7-8” long harness that plugs into the vehicle harness and can be easily replaced. I imagine that pigtail is probably 30 bucks from a parts retailer.

Ideally my feedback would be now that the spacing has been fixed, ask when you order yours for no d ring tabs. That would solve all of the hiccups. I’m going to explore cutting mine off, and lengthening the mount holes on the frame bracket and reinstalling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven