Vanilla Gorilla: 2017 Power Wagon build

Mo4130

Adventurer
i havent seen any, and a quick search on google doesnt show anything. Like i said - im not interested in extending the oil changes out past 10k, i wanted to see the health of my engine.

Absolutely understand. But with an oil sample that doesn’t show any wear metals or dilution or a low base means you don’t have to change at 10k. If the oils clean you’re throwing away money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ttengineer

Adventurer
I regularly go 14k or so on my Cummins before i am at 0% on the EVIC. Just another data point.

Are you deleted?

I think the most mine has ever been was around 8k, and that was with 21k on the odometer.

I wonder what the parameters the computer uses to calculate the oil life are. Idle times probably have something to do with it too. I do tend to idle a fair amount at work, especially this past summer.

andy_b

I think Thuren modified the bumper a while back so the recovery gussets no longer interfered with the winch mount. At this point it is just bolt up. There is a PW specific version coming in the near future.

Yeah the PW thing is what I got hung up on. I forgot that was the truck in question and it comes with a winch from the factory. Duh...

FWIW, I spoke w/ Thuren about adapting their bumper for a winch on a Cummins truck and they said they didn't really have a lot of guidance. Bummer.

Explorerinil

Observer
Are you deleted?

I think the most mine has ever been was around 8k, and that was with 21k on the odometer.

I wonder what the parameters the computer uses to calculate the oil life are. Idle times probably have something to do with it too. I do tend to idle a fair amount at work, especially this past summer.

I just looked at my truck, for what it’s worth I got 4K on my oil change, reminder says oil life 98%.

Maby it’s that good rotella t and a fleetgaurd ?

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
Are you deleted?

Totally stock engine will all factory emissions equipment intact.

I just went and looked. 10620 miles since last oil change with 30% left.

My truck does lead an easy life. Commuting at 60mph and pulling a 22ft bay boat is about all it does. The big Lance camper it was bought for is long gone.

Mo4130

Adventurer
How reliable is the oil gauge? Does it measure resistance through the filter medium? If it just takes the percentage off the miles driven, it’s basically useless.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
How reliable is the oil gauge? Does it measure resistance through the filter medium? If it just takes the percentage off the miles driven, it’s basically useless.

I've had oil change messages in various vehicles for over 10 years now. None of them have been just a light at a specific mileage. They all vary significantly based on actual usage of the vehicle. Harder use equals quicker oil changes. Easier use gives you more time.

The reality is, the only people that advocate 3-5k change intervals are the people that sell you the oil. I've actually had vehicles before that specified changing the filter twice as often as the oil. What I've noticed over the years is that newer engines carry significantly more oil than older engines. That increased capacity plus the significantly better oils available today plus better materials being used to make cylinder walls and piston rings makes significantly longer intervals a reality.

How does this affect "overlanding?" I don't have to change the oil in my truck over the course of a 6000 mile trip. What a PITA that would be in the middle of nowhere Wyoming.

ttengineer

Adventurer
I just looked at my truck, for what it’s worth I got 4K on my oil change, reminder says oil life 98%.

Maby it’s that good rotella t and a fleetgaurd

Interesting. I use rotella synthetic too. The filter varies based on what’s in stock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven