Vibram Five Fingers

Five Fingers...Thumbs up or Thumbs down?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

motochain

Wanderer
Hey there are other people out there that wear them!!!!

I've been wearing them and getting strange looks for a bit over a year now and haven't seen another person besides myself sporting them. I have managed to talk a coworker into buying a pair but he fell off the wagon and quit wearing them shortly after getting them.

I love them! Feels just like walking without shoes on minus having to worry about stepping on sharp objects.

BEWARE THOUGH!!!! You're feet will eventually start to stink!

7wt

Expedition Leader
Well I decided mine are not for me. After wearing them for a couple hours my feet start swelling making the toe pockets squeeze my little piggies a little more than is comfortable. They started hurting my toes so it seems that finger shoes aren't the way I will be shod from here on out.

photoman

Explorer
What happens if you step in poo?

A

Its easier to clean off Five Fingers than out of deep soles of hiking boots. :victory:

Like any shoe or tool there is no one boot fits every situation. hence the reason there are running shoes, wrestling shoes, soccer cleats, high tops, work boots, and hiking boots- to name just a few. In each of the categories there are several different concepts as well. These are just another category and they will not work for everyone or every situation.

I have a set of KSO and will probably get a pair of the KSO Treks to see how the new hard sole does on more jagged rocks. I would be leery of wearing my FF in an area of jagged rocks, cactus, and around old buildings where nails and other nasty stuff can do damage to your feet. Same is true in situations such as walking along long stretches of river rocks where twisting an ankle or having rocks roll out from under you or onto your feet are a concern. These however are great in sandy conditions and have provided much better feel when descending loose washout areas. On rock such as granite and sandstone they are simply awesome as you really feel the rock contours which improves your foot placement and overall balance. I am still interested to see how they do on wet rocks such as boulder hoping along oak creek but I have yet to try that out.

So while they are not the best shoe for every situation I am very pleased that I purchased them and as mentioned I plan to purchase a different model as well.

Oh yeah- these are a hell of a lot more comfortable to wear while driving than a pair of clunky hiking boots too. Just have to get use to your toes wrapping around the pedals.

6Pins

Adventurer
I'm thinking about getting a pair, they look pretty comfortable. I'm pretty much barefoot all day long at home and work standing up at my desk. I'm usually in some kind of un-constructed shoe when I have to wear shoes (mocs, Converse canvas shoes, etc. and I've been doing this since I was a kid.

I'm curious to know how much support the shoes give to the heel pad area? Since I've got some gnarly callous' on my feet, the only problem I really get is heel cracks, so if they can support that, I'm in.

djrez4

Adventurer
I've had a pair since they were first available in Boulder. I run in them. I've day-hiked in them. I've worn them around town.

I consider them to be another tool in my footwear arsenal. They have strengthened my feet and calves and improved my running speed and form.

When I head out with a heavy pack into unknown territory, however, you better believe I save them for camp shoes and strap on my full grain boots.

I agree that both modern shoes and modern surfaces have contributed to the destruction of our feet. When it comes to working toward a solution to foot problems, I think it's much easier to modify your shoes than it is to modify the surface of the planet.

IZZYDUSIT

Adventurer
I liked the idea since I love to kayak and regular water sandals are too big for my cockpit, problem was, I couldn't wear them past my bunions..lol

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
...was going to be backpacking with 50+ pounds off trail in the Grand Canyon...

I love being in the canyon but anyone who takes 50 pounds in:

europe_-2007.1198927140.dumb-dumb.jpg

Bhos

Adventurer
I've had a pair of these (KSO) for about a month now and love them. It's nice to have something this light airy to workout in. I do lifting, sprints, walks/light hikes, and heavy crossfit in them. Yes, they are "weird" looking, fiancee hates 'em, and are not for all terrain, but they do strengthen your feet. I have noticed that my foot strike has changed to include more of the front of my foot, rather than just heel and ball of big toe. That feels better to me. I'm looking forward to finding more places to use them. Very comfortable, but if you have overly flat feet, they may not be the best for you.

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
I've had a pair (KSO) for several weeks now and love them for the applications I use them for: a general daily shoe, massage therapy, and Tai Chi. They are very comfortable, I can get around the yard and such with them on and I've started recommending them to my students as an answer for those who want to massage barefoot but still need to meet school/OSHA regulations.

I would not consider using these for light hiking, but I'm about to try them out on our elliptical machine and see how they hold up. I've not experienced the foot stink that some have mentioned here. I would be interested in trying the KSO Trek for light hiking with the thicker sole, but I'm such a Keen-freak I'm not sure anything can ever replace those.

I did experience a large gash in the top of my right foot when I had to move a bicycle that was parked in the middle of my office (don't ask) and I ended up banging my foot into the kickstand. So, minimal protection.

I think these would also make great water/camp shoes as they are light, waterproof and easy to pack into a small space. I used to pack flip flops as camp shoes for backpacking because my Keens are just too heavy, so I think these will make a great alternative.

Beware, you will get a lot of people staring at your feet and many, many questions once they realize what they are. These are a definite icebreaker/conversation starter! Oh and also beware of your loved ones who do not buy into them making endless fun of you!

bucketosudz

Explorer
Can't be much worse than the chastisement that comes from wearing "Nothing's" or "Croc's". There is some real hate for those...:sombrero:

I really like wearing hard leather moccasins, but I intend to get a pair of the KSO's before summer's end.:victory:

YJake

Adventurer
I tried on a pair at the local vendor and they actually felt great. I liked being able to feel and grip terrain with my feet instead of just standing on it. (Does that make sense?) I was able to curl my toes around rocks and tree branches and I could feel a difference in the muscles used in my feet/calves just from walking in them for a few minutes.

To be honest, I like them. But the sticker price has me holding back for now. There are many other things I could use $80 on and my running shoes are only a year old at the moment.

Maybe someday, especially if they go on sale!

-Jake

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WRL

Members online