Vibram Five Fingers

Five Fingers...Thumbs up or Thumbs down?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Van_Homan

Adventurer
I tried to purchase a pair of KSO Multisports (mostly for kayaking) from my local REI and was told that the company was having problems with supply.
They said it was nationwide and they (REI) weren't even taking back orders. I was very disappointed because a couple of people in my paddling group have been using them for a few months and have nothing but good things to say about them.
I settled for the Camaro Coral Sea Water Shoes and they're working great. I still find myself wanting a pair of the KSO's, if for no other reason than I can't have them.

redveloce

Adventurer
I tried on a pair at the local vendor and they actually felt great. I liked being able to feel and grip terrain with my feet instead of just standing on it. (Does that make sense?) I was able to curl my toes around rocks and tree branches and I could feel a difference in the muscles used in my feet/calves just from walking in them for a few minutes.

That makes perfect sense. My wife and I each got a pair two years ago, and I’ve used them off and on for trail running, and general wear around shoes. I was out running with my dog a few months back on some fairly muddy terrain through a wooded park, and decided on a whim to take off across a back trail at a sprint and give my dog a good run. I ended up switching trails several times and while making one sharp turn, maybe 150 degrees, I started to slide. While sliding I could feel my toes automatically start gripping the ground. I took several quick half steps, kept on my feet, and continued running. I would have been flat on my ******** had I been wearing my regular running shoes. I’ve never experienced anything that felt quite like it.

I now have two pairs. My wife bought me a pair of KSO Treks for my birthday in April! :wings:

Spur

Adventurer
I love my KSOs. My primary form of exercise these days is lifting weights and I prefer my Vibrams over anything else when I deadlift and squat. I've done a little bit of light running in them as well on treadmills and grass.

I've had a lot of foot and ankle injuries and I think they have helped in my rehab. My feet have never felt better. I used to wake up with crippling plantar fasciitis. It's still there, but much better.

My advice is to ease into them. You have to take it slow. Your muscles and tendons aren't used to being out of a big protective shoe. Go easy and you'll learn to love them.

For the trail, I've completely gotten rid of all my heavy shoes and boots. I finally took my old Zamberlans to Goodwill because I hadn't put them on in over 6 years. I guess I'm a Ray Jarrdine convert. http://www.rayjardine.com/ I never carry a pack that weighs more than 30 pounds, so my Keens are all I ever need. Maybe if I ever make it to one of the poles I'll get some heavy footwear again :)

DrMoab

Explorer
Well I just measured my feet to buy a pair and found out I have one foot that is almost 3/4 of an inch shorter than the other. :( Who knew???

Terrainist

Explorer
That's hideous, you should just stay in the house from now on.

If we all took measurements, we would find we are all not as symmetrical as we thought. Everyone is a little... off.

DrMoab

Explorer
LOL. The problem is they say if you have feet that are more than 1/16" off that you can't get a good fit. I sent them a message asking if I could get a set of two different sizes but no reply yet. :D

Terrainist

Explorer
If they are making them fit down to 1/16th, then those are some well fitted footwear. Guaranteed they will sell you two different sized sets. Don't know about separate sizes for a set.

Keep in mind, with something that fits that well, it's going to totally make your feet look goofy. 3/4 of an inch will stand out. I'm surprised you don't walk around in circles.

GroupSe7en

Adventurer
I've got 2 pairs of KSOs and my kids run in both KSOs and Flows. Love them.

What do you do about the stink? Man, taking them off at the end of the day is best done far from the house. My kids need to wash their feet 3 times after a long sweaty run ;o)

Cheers,
Mark

targa88

Explorer
Tried on a pair today. Problem is the shape of my toes. Last two fingers are too long.
Interesting idea - just not made for every shape of foot....

jerdog53

Explorer
I have a pair and have had them for about 4 years now, used to wear them a lot more in the past than I do now, I think because the uniqueness of them has been lost now that I see them everywhere. I like them and will wear them around the house and on vacation.

hatidua

They're not for me. My feet are one of the few items on me that I've not managed to mess up to date. I'm not going to attempt that feat by wearing a condom on each foot.

abeaudin1971

Adventurer
Bought a pair - I walk a bunch - but after about 15 miles in them (not all at once) they're going to go to the Sally Ann.

I much prefer my Ghurkees (Neptune model) and I can get three pairs of Ghurkees for the same price as the FiveFingers.

-a

Spur

Adventurer

What do you do about the stink? Man, taking them off at the end of the day is best done far from the house. My kids need to wash their feet 3 times after a long sweaty run ;o)

Cheers,
Mark

They're machine washable. I throw then in a cold cycle on gentle with a mild soap. Air dry. Works great.

scarysharkface

Explorer
I ordered a pair of five fingers earlier this week. NPR (or maybe it was Wisconsin Public Radio) ran a piece of barefoot running the Sunday before last, and it really got me thinking that these might help my chronically-aching back..

John

RepairmanSki

Observer

Cheers,
Mark

I wash mine in the regular wash (usually with jeans) and air-dry at least every other week. Also, every time I put them on I spray tea tree oil on my feet. I wear them almost every day.

My back and legs haven't felt this good since my early twenties. For me, it's the Vibrams daily and my Keen's if the weather forces me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WRL