Volvo XC70 All Terrain

edgear

aventurero, Overland Certified OC0012
Check out this new concept vehicle from Volvo:

VolvoXC70AT-1.jpg

VolvoXC70AT-2.jpg

http://www.swedespeed.com/news/publish/Volvo_News/article_679.html

:26_7_2:

edit: nevermind about it being new -- just noticed that the date is form 2005, not 2006

Last edited:

CLynn85

Explorer
I think that was shown at sema a year ago. Very neat proof of concept vehicle. I always get evil thoughts now when I pass the volvo dealership.

flywgn

Explorer
We've had Diana's XC70 on some interesting dirt roads, including this one below outside Sedona, AZ. It was amusing to see the expressions on the faces of the Pink Jeep Tours guides, not to mention their customers, as they drove by.

She won't let me take it to Pta Bufeo, though. :(

Allen R

(Hey, I just noticed all the new smilies! Swell!)

kcowyo

ExPo Original
They can use the Hi Lift with the Lift Mate -

ph_liftmate_large.jpg

For a vehicle with any kind of increased wheel travel modifications, this is a much better option than using a slider or custom bumper as a jack point anyway. Too easy to max out the jack on a lifted vehicle.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
One thing that bothers me about the concept vehicle (and many others) are the "wagon wheels." I mean, what are those things, 19"? 20?" Do you really need "dubs" to drive off-road? :rolleyes:

It just seems like a purely appearance-driven fashion accessory. If you really go off road, wouldn't you want a big sidewall so you can air down and get a bigger footprint? Except for my very first 4x4 (1957 International Travelall) that had oddball 17.5" wheels, my Toyota's 16" are the biggest wheels I've ever had. And honestly, If I could find some inexpensive 15" rims I might consider swapping, just because (1) bigger sidewall = bigger footprint off road and (2) 15" tires are noticeably less expensive than 16s.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Martinjmpr said:
One thing that bothers me about the concept vehicle (and many others) are the "wagon wheels." I mean, what are those things, 19"? 20?" Do you really need "dubs" to drive off-road?
One argument for larger wheels is bigger brakes, one thing that can get really worked on an OHV. But in general, I've always wondered the same thing.

As far as the Hi-Lift, I think anyone who travels beyond pavement could benefit from a Hi-Lift. Heck, even on roads, a flat in snow or mud or rolling too far off a soft shoulder would be a great time to have a Hi-Lift, either so that you don't have to crawl around in the muck to place a bottle jack or as a hasty come-along.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Ah, didn't think about the brakes. But still, aren't 16's or at most, 17's adequate for all but the raciest of brakes?

Otherwise, I like the XC70 pictured. In fact, I've been a big fan of the XC for some time, I think it's one of the best looking wagons out there, and way better looking than the porky XC-90.

I have heard rumors (unverified) that Volvo quality has diminished since they started falling under the Ford banner. Don't know if that's objective truth or just bias, though. Unfortunately, Volvos still command premium prices, 5-10k more than a even a 6-cyl Subaru Outback.

A gorgeous as the XC-70 is, if I were in the position to get a "macho wagon" I'd probably get the Outback (having had experience with Subaru) and spend the extra $$ modifying it with off-road parts (a surprising number of which are available, most come from Australia.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal