w0mps WJ Build Thread

W0mps

Adventurer
Yup, they are the JCR sliders, that's what happens after a year and a half of them waiting installation - I forget which one's they are :)

I plan on doing the low profile Protofab winch bumper and the Protofab rear bumper/tire carrier. Both will be powdercoated Stone White to match the Jeep.

Lecoq

Explorer
I plan on doing the low profile Protofab winch bumper and the Protofab rear bumper/tire carrier. Both will be powdercoated Stone White to match the Jeep.

I love my Protofab rear. Very well built and the fit is perfect. Weight is the only down side.

W0mps

Adventurer
Here's some pictures of the LED lighting upgrade on the Jeep. Sorry for the quality, I am not too good at night time photography.

The headlights are 9005 (low and high beam) and were purchased from offroadledbars.com. Customer service was great and the lamps seem like great quality. They are made of high grade aluminum with CREE LED's and have a small heatsink/cooling fan on the back of them, about the size of a half dollar and an inch or so deep. The LED driver is about half the size of a 9v battery and is connected to a whip off the cooling fan. This plugs directly into your stock lighting harness. I bought the low beams at an off road show and figured I'd give them a shot, and after a couple months I knew I wanted the high beams to match. They are a cool white color and super bright. The high beams combined with the low beams are insane and put out a nice flood pattern to light up almost 180* in front of you. I can also say that with the low beams on and a properly adjusted headlight, I haven't gotten any indication that they are a distraction to other drivers. Again, the pictures do NO JUSTICE.

Low Beam:

High Beam:

A few weeks prior, I had upgraded my interior lighting to 6000K Cool White LED's from superbrightleds.com. Again, the customer service is great and shipping was super fast. I ended up doing both map lights, front door lights, front floor lights, vanity mirrors, glove compartment, rear grab handles, and the rear cargo light. At the same time I did my two running lights and turn signal in each headlight. The turn signal is a constant white light and switches to amber when the signal is activated. I figured this would be a nice option during heavy snow, to keep my headlights off and just run the driving light. I can honestly say the light output is about 5x the output of the stock halogen bulbs.

As mentioned in a previous post, I've added some flood lighting to the hatch to illuminate the cargo compartment and behind the Jeep being that I've lost my rear cargo light due to my action packers.

And finally, a walkaround video:

http://youtu.be/MJI-iuOZDos

I plan on doing the tail lights and third brake light soon to complete my LED upgrade. Perhaps later on I will get into the micro-bulbs in the dash, but for now I will hold off.

jpat30

Adventurer
Thank you so much for posting this up with the accompanying pics. I was talking to a friend of mine just this saturday. He had recently upgraded his JK headlights to KC leds and they are awesome. I was bemoaning the fact there was nothing like this for WJs. I am so happy to see these. I am currently running aftermarket bulbs and am still unsatisfied with the output. I am going to have to give these a shot!

jpat30

Adventurer
Oh and I love the leds you installed in the hatch. I am going to have to steal that idea too:sombrero:

Lecoq

Explorer
Would you say the LED low beam has a "cutoff" or is it just scattered from the OEM projector?

W0mps

Adventurer
Would you say the LED low beam has a "cutoff" or is it just scattered from the OEM projector?

The best way I can describe it is it puts out the same pattern of light as OEM, but much brighter which throws the light further.

W0mps

Adventurer
Not much happening lately. Added a fire extinguisher today. There wasn't too many options on where to mount it. I wanted it somewhere where it wasn't going to be in the way but somewhere that is easily accessible in case of an emergency. I think this spot was the best.

Here's a preview of the rest of my build:

Phase 1:
LED Tail Lights

Phase 2:
Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier
Front Bumper/Winch

Phase 3:
Roof Rack Rails
Lighting Control Box/Switches
Offroad LED Lighting

Phase 4:
ARB 2000 Awning