w0mps WJ Build Thread

Ranger Steve

Adventurer
Nice looking WJ. I just bought mine earlier this week. I'm defiantly upgrading the interior lights like you did. It looks bright in there!

W0mps

Adventurer
Went and did a little trail riding today here in NJ in Stokes State Forest. It's the best time of the year to be there with the leaves changing. Tried getting some nice shots using my new Nikon 9600 point and shoot but for some reason I can't take a picture without it being blurry. It's brand new so the lense is clean so it must be a setting. They are 16 megapixel and look like they were taking with a flip phone. Any advice from you camera gurus? Anyway here's a nice HDR shot I did get -

W0mps

Adventurer
Well, unfortunately the third brake light has been back ordered until the end of January. I did get the tail lights in and am awaiting the LED bulbs for the reverse and turn signal. Here's some pictures -

W0mps

Adventurer
So after the LED install the only problem I really encountered was a hyper flash, which I didn't mind. I got the LED bulbs in on Saturday for the tail lights and popped them in. Well after buttoning everything back up, I went to test the blinkers and they didn't flash. They just stayed on solid. I guess when you get a hyper flash, it indicates that you have a bulb out. When it stays solid, it indicates no bulbs on that circuit were detected. So, I had to install a couple load resistors in the rear. A word of advice, never use the quick taps that are included with the resistors. They're unreliable and invite corrosion, ultimately causing all kinds of problems. Avoid those problems by cutting/soldering/heat shrinking your wiring.

I was weary of using the load resistors, mainly because I didn't want to cut into my main wiring harness. The tail lights I bought have their own wiring harness, then just plug into the stock wiring. This made it easier for me to pull the trigger on installing the resistors, not like I had much of a choice. I can now add a couple in the front and probably eliminate the hyper flash and be back to how it was with the incandescent bulbs. I'm still on the fence about it because that will require tapping into the main harness, not once for the 3157, but possibly twice for the smaller 194 bulbs (any input on this?). Also, remember to lube everything up (connectors, bulb bases) with dielectric grease to prevent any corrosion. Here's some pictures of the install -

I started out by de-soldering the stupid 4" leads the resistors came with to give myself a nice 12" tail.

Here's the final product -

So, I'm now wondering if I add another one of them resistors in series, back at the tail light, if it will add enough resistance in the circuit to bring my hyper flash back to normal. I'll leave that for another day...

dallen

Just have to say, love your build. I regards to LED issues look into a LED flasher relay.

A LED flasher relay unit is designed for applications where a standard flasher will not work. This LED unit is a solid state electronic device and is specifically designed for use on vehicles fitted with LED lights. The flasher is built to offset the low amperage draw that LEDs operate at and will not cause rapid flashing. Additionally, it has the unique ability to control the flash rate of vehicle LED directional indicators.

W0mps

Adventurer
Just have to say, love your build. I regards to LED issues look into a LED flasher relay.

A LED flasher relay unit is designed for applications where a standard flasher will not work. This LED unit is a solid state electronic device and is specifically designed for use on vehicles fitted with LED lights. The flasher is built to offset the low amperage draw that LEDs operate at and will not cause rapid flashing. Additionally, it has the unique ability to control the flash rate of vehicle LED directional indicators.

Thanks Dallen. Unfortunately, AFAIK, the way the wiring is in the WJ they do not make an "LED friendly" flasher for the Jeep. I've looked into it and have been unsuccessful along with others who did the conversion. If anyone knows of one, I'm interested!

W0mps

Adventurer
Here's a close up shot of the LED in the new tail light housings. Anyone who says LED doesn't put out a brighter, cleaner light is a straight up liar, or blind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy