Waking up a 360?

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I just bought a 2000 Dodge 2500 with the 5.9 gasser. I am not totally awed by the power when compared my 5.9 diesel. It is nice, however to be able to have a conversation with the truck running.:sombrero: I would like to have a bit more in the power dept. It has a built auto with shift kit and 60s at both ends with 4.10s and 285-75R16s. It should do better. I am thinking cat delete, flowmaster, air filter / intake and maybe a throttle body spacer. Anybody done these mods to their 360? Butt dyno results?

Thanks, James

Explorer
I had an older 318 which is similar.

I ended up purchasing a mopar performance cam that put the peak torque right at my cruising rpm. It didn't add tons of power, but the mileage was vastly improved.

D

Deleted member 9101

Throttle body spacer are useless in my experience. How about a remapped ECM, Cam, Headers, and intake?

angusdevil

Adventurer
Dump all of the exhaust that you can get away with, throw in a cam, seafoam the truck and put on an intake. A tuner wouldn't be a bad idea either. A superchips 3815 or 3865 would be a nice compliment to all of the mods.

chasespeed

Explorer
Throttle body spacer.... dont waste your time or money.

Mopar Cam, and airflow mods headers, hi flow cat, etc... It'll put the meat where you want it...

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I've never been a fan of throttle spacers either, but thought I would throw it out there. I was hoping to avoid doing a cam but y'all seem to agree it is the way to go. Intake and exhaust won't do much alone? Maybe I'll just find a 12valve motor and swap it in. Where I live this would be a $15k truck with a diesel in it!

chasespeed

Explorer
Guess that depends on how that 12v is built.......:victory:

Cant argue with 18-20mpg avg either, let alone enough power to embarrass most cars.....

Chase

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
408 stroker! Your 12v will be the one sitting in the driveway after that.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmm, not likely...:costumed-smiley-007

I am liking the quiet for daily driving, but when it comes to power, having a "massaged" 12 valve is a beautiful thing. If only I had a six speed:(

chasespeed

Explorer
You know, for 98% of everything, I prefer my 5spd.(that and the fact it already had billet shafts, and all). The only time I would like a 6spd, is towing heavy, in a crawl, just because I can find a gear in the middle, and get the revs down a little...

Chase

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I had a NV4500 in my 94 318 powered truck. I have only driven the six speed in an 05. I think the best one was the 2000 24 valve I test drove. Too bad it had been owned by a logging company for 300 of it's 330,000 miles! It drove like a dream (steered a bit loose), but you could have driven across the country with ten gallons of water in the box and never lost a drop! I have never seen a bed floor so pounded! Must have been carting around an excavator bucket or somthing for about 250,000 offroad miles. Sure made nice power though...

Airaid air filter and catback exhaust...forgot the brand. Made a difference, but not a huge difference. But she's still running after 212k miles. :sombrero:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Anyone have an idea how much work it would be to put a 12v into a gas powered 2500? And, if it isn't stupid expensive to do, would a D60 rear stand up to the torque? I would guess stronger shafts and gears are needed. If one found a V10 truck the swap might be easier? Stronger drive train from the start? Did the V10 come with the NV4500? If so, same bell housing as 12v?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepaltourism