Watches.......the other type!

Montucky

Director of Post Ride Beverages
I've been using the Apple Watch Ultra and I really like it. Even took it diving recently.

nickw

Adventurer
So if we were to equate watches to something we can all relate too....VEHICLES, how would you guys do it?

I.E.
Patek = Mclaren
Omega = Lambo
Rolex = Defender 110

What watch would a LC 70 Series be? I think folks would tend to err towards Seiko due to Japanese roots but what other watches are mid tier price wise, function over form, and put field reliability over all?

Tiglentty

I get the appeal of watches – they're not just for telling time; they're a whole statement. If you're into those bold, classic designs, I’d suggest checking out **Panerai** watches. They’ve got a unique look, especially with those oversized dials. But, if you’re not looking to spend a ton, some replica panerai options give you that same style for way less. Of course, it’s not precisely the same as the real thing, but sometimes it’s more about the look and feel. Anyway, I just thought I’d share that since you seem to appreciate the vibe they give off!

Last edited:

tirod3

There are a lot of interesting things going on behind the scenes in watch manufacture, and the sudden rise in quality of Chinese watches reflects their sponsors who buy cases, bracelets, and have upgraded their operations to meet higher standards.

Not that either side would admit where those parts are being shipped.

As for the rest of the watch wearing public, the common denominator for a purchase is financial - the individual usually spends about a day's wages for a watch. That standard was established decades ago, it's where an individual is comfortable with his discretionary income while living within his means. There are outliers, of course, I buy - or bought - popular watches direct, such as a Seiko Orange Monster from Singapore, then added the factory bracelet purchased preowned from a watch forum member. These days, I have pretty much kept it to EcoDrives and have purchased them on A Famous Auction site pre owned - and gotten some great bargains. That was mostly pre 2022 and things have gone sky high since. I was able to resell a Citizen Dive watch used for more than i paid for it - literally out of a flea market booth. High demand watches are being pursued by money is no object buyers, altho now, inflation is slowing things even for them.

My current watch is a Citizen BU2055 using a current GI coyote nylon strap, which doesn't dig and has no extra rings or things. Simplicity. It keeps good time, so far, under a minute a year - 365 days - slow. I have other Citizens which are less than 30 seconds a year fast - Citizen doesn't regulate their quartz yet it's far better than Seiko automatics which in my experience were at best one minute a week fast.

Which makes the quarts 52x more accurate, if that is something important. Rolex created that accuracy by going to quartz timers for Olympic use, and it was the Japanese who were able to put it into mass production. I had a Seiko "file folder" digital in the day, with the first of it's kind gold on stainless plating. Great dress watch. Citizen added solar charging in the 90s and my oldest, circa 2001 or so, is still running on it's original power cell. The secret trick is to keep them in sunlight. The growing use of solar panels on RV's is finally enlightening watch users of that need, which will eventually cut into my bargain hunting. I snapped up the ones "not running - needs a battery" and simply charge them in full sun for a few days, and they turn out fine every time. Don't put solar watches in a drawer, enjoy them.

As for changing pins in bands etc, a watch fan can and should learn how. An inexpensive kit with pin tools to work on bands and bracelets can save a trip, even allow changing batteries on NON solar models easily.

I keep in mind that a watch that appears to be more than someone's daily pay is likely not just a timepiece, it's the polite way of communicating power and wealth. I've gotten over it since most of those watches, especially autos, and certainly Dive models which can submerge far deeper than their owners, are show pieces, not working time keepers. There is a difference in having a watch for utility and having a watch for it's social presence, which, I hear, is much the same for certain earth roaming RV's.

To someone who is buying a time keeper, jot down a list of what you need it to do, then selectively search for what models accomplish it. Keep Brand out of it, work thru Features only, and your selection will likely be a longer kept and more appreciated choice. It may well completely surprise you, too, but some say a man makes the watch. It certainly can reflect his integrity.

Trail Talk

Posted this in the other thread on Swiss Army Knives but it seems appropriate here too. This is a useful tool for minor tinkering with watch cases and bracelets, the Wenger Watchmaker.

Wenger Watchmaker.jpeg

ricoisme26

There are a lot of interesting things going on behind the scenes in watch manufacture, and the sudden rise in quality of Chinese watches reflects their sponsors who buy cases, bracelets, and have upgraded their operations to meet higher standards.

As for the rest of the watch wearing public, the common denominator for a purchase is financial - the individual usually spends about a day's wages for a watch. That standard was established decades ago, it's where an individual is comfortable with his discretionary income while living within his means. There are outliers, of course, I buy - or bought - popular watches direct, such as a Seiko Orange Monster from Singapore, then added the factory bracelet purchased preowned from a watch forum member. These days, I have pretty much kept it to EcoDrives and have purchased them on A Famous Auction site pre owned - and gotten some great bargains. That was mostly pre 2022 and things have gone sky high since. I was able to resell a Citizen Dive watch used for more than i paid for it - literally out of a flea market booth. High demand watches are being pursued by money is no object buyers, altho now, inflation is slowing things even for them.

My current watch is a Citizen BU2055 using a current GI coyote nylon strap, which doesn't dig and has no extra rings or things. Simplicity. It keeps good time, so far, under a minute a year - 365 days - slow. I have other Citizens which are less than 30 seconds a year fast - Citizen doesn't regulate their quartz yet it's far better than Seiko automatics which in my experience were at best one minute a week fast.

Which makes the quarts 52x more accurate, if that is something important. Rolex created that accuracy by going to quartz timers for Olympic use, and it was the Japanese who were able to put it into mass production. I had a Seiko "file folder" digital in the day, with the first of it's kind gold on stainless plating. Great dress watch. Citizen added solar charging in the 90s and my oldest, circa 2001 or so, is still running on it's original power cell. The secret trick is to keep them in sunlight. The growing use of solar panels on RV's is finally enlightening watch users of that need, which will eventually cut into my bargain hunting. I snapped up the ones "not running - needs a battery" and simply charge them in full sun for a few days, and they turn out fine every time. Don't put solar watches in a drawer, enjoy them.

As for changing pins in bands etc, a watch fan can and should learn how. An inexpensive kit with pin tools to work on bands and bracelets can save a trip, even allow changing batteries on NON solar models easily.

I keep in mind that a watch that appears to be more than someone's daily pay is likely not just a timepiece, it's the polite way of communicating power and wealth. I've gotten over it since most of those watches, especially autos, and certainly Dive models which can submerge far deeper than their owners, are show pieces, not working time keepers. There is a difference in having a watch for utility and having a watch for it's social presence, which, I hear, is much the same for certain earth roaming RV's.

To someone who is buying a time keeper, jot down a list of what you need it to do, then selectively search for what models accomplish it. Keep Brand out of it, work thru Features only, and your selection will likely be a longer kept and more appreciated choice. It may well completely surprise you, too, but some say a man makes the watch. It certainly can reflect his integrity.
Great take on what watches mean to the people that wear them. A piece you might have missed is a watch being a sentimental piece, and something that initially piqued my interest in them in the first place. I currently only own one watch, a nice Oris that my wife got me as a wedding gift, while well above a days wages I don't believe it is so expensive that anyone takes it as a power move when on my wrist.

That has been my daily wear until i recently broke one of the pins which has me shopping for a replacement pin but had me thinking about getting a less sentimental piece to wear daily. I was looking at Seiko's initially but have always thought of Citizens as a very smart option. Searching their catalog after reading your post I was reading details on a model I liked. Turns out its a BU2055 as well, similar tastes! Now to find a days wages I can part with.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Still Looking for that Perfect Pricey Timepiece?

Get your checkbooks out…

Tom Brady to put his watch collection up for sale at Sotheby's​

(all of which have a unique, special two minute warning countdown feature)

Lotsa bling bling coming your way soon 😁

(And there might still be some of his curly dark wrist hairs stuck in those metal watch bands, so bonus, this’d make a really cool Christmas gift from you to one of your sports fan besties 🤣)

tirod3

The stuff that collects in the nooks and crannies of watches and bands is called swarf. I've been trying to remember that word for months. For those wearing nylon webbing bands or the like, skin cells build up in the fabric and bacteria grow in them. Stainless will do the same but not nearly as much, yet a sensitive nose can pick up the odiferous scent. In the day, large OD nylon and velcro bands were popular while out in the field, and they would get rank by August if not cleaned regularly.

So far the best I've found is Dawn Platinum dish soap, and a soft bristle brush knocks a lot off of it. If I need to dress it up I have a Perpetual Ecodrive Chronograph that I bought years ago and it's still on the correct date, leap year notwithstanding. It's a fun watch to set as the hand driving motors will operate it backwards when necessary to reduce power consumption. 30 year old movement yet relatively ignored on the market.

I found the BU2055 was a two step stem operated watch, first notch sets the correct day, second hacks the works to set the time. I've got it about 20 seconds fast now, which will get it about spot on by the first of the year. I only need to correct the day four times a year with this one and no manual is needed, unlike the G Shocks and Casio's I previously wore. That got annoying figuring out A, B, C, D buttons in what order by what different menu, much less DST, etc.

Random thought, if we did the same as Mumbai, just set our watches 30 minutes fast, we wouldn't need DST etc and most of America would have balanced hour zones instead of the offset GMT that the founders of Greenwich applied. Think about it.

givemethewillys

Jonathan Chouinard

It really surprised me to think that the iwatch and similar fall well above the daily pay of most Americans, and are considered disposable commodities. I'm curious if that ratio has shifted over the years. I know most of the watches on my "almost out of consideration, but really want" range were around 2 days pay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jay2thaC