Weather proof Bulkhead connector for solar panels?

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I'll always recommend anderson connectors.

In this instance, a flush mount anderson port seems perfect.

powerwerx-panelpole-panel-mount-housing-for-two-powerpole-connectors-with-a-weather-resistant-cover__5766_580.jpg

powerwerx-panelpole-panel-mount-housing-for-two-powerpole-connectors-with-a-weather-resistant-cover__7182_580.jpg

john61ct

Adventurer
Deutsch DT, maybe use a mounting box if you want lots of sockets up to four I think, each can be up to 6-pair

Or go with one of the proprietary trolling motor connectors.

Rando

Explorer
I'll always recommend anderson connectors.

In this instance, a flush mount anderson port seems perfect.

powerwerx-panelpole-panel-mount-housing-for-two-powerpole-connectors-with-a-weather-resistant-cover__5766_580.jpg

powerwerx-panelpole-panel-mount-housing-for-two-powerpole-connectors-with-a-weather-resistant-cover__7182_580.jpg

Are these actually sealed in anyway when connected? It doesn't look like they are, so if the OP were to mount this to his roof (presumably on a horizontal surface), water could pour in when the panels are connected.

Objectively, Anderson connectors are pretty crappy connectors, they have no strain relief, no ingress protection, are not latching and are not well keyed. There are a ton of circular connectors made for this application that have bulkhead mates, are weather proof, have strain relief and dust caps, for example:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I use Anderson PowerPole for a lot of things but their only real advantage is ubiquity within ham radio circles. There are worse connectors (like the SAE) but in this application there are certainly better options. I use the Tyco CPC personally and probably would for this but it's just another option amongst the others suitable ones presented. I like the Deutsch (or similar Delphi, Sumitomo, Yazaki) types, too.

Alloy

Are these actually sealed in anyway when connected? It doesn't look like they are, so if the OP were to mount this to his roof (presumably on a horizontal surface), water could pour in when the panels are connected.

Objectively, Anderson connectors are pretty crappy connectors, they have no strain relief, no ingress protection, are not latching and are not well keyed. There are a ton of circular connectors made for this application that have bulkhead mates, are weather proof, have strain relief and dust caps, for example:

Rubber boots are available Anderson plugs but I don't use them. Any connection mounted with the receptacle facing up is going to get water in it unless it is covered or in the desert.

I have 8 sets of Andersons that latch on my panels. They lay on the ground in rain/snow and the best part is the ease of use in any (dark) conditions. There is no issues with bending pins or wearing (mating cycles) the socket out due to misalignment.

SBSYNCRO

Lots of good ideas so far. The marinco trolling motor connector looks sufficiently weatherproof and fairly low profile.

However many of these connectors have a flaw (including the Marinco): they aren’t part of a mix & match ecosystem.

Here’s the practical implication of what I am talking about:

When I remove the panel from the roof rack, I’ll obviously unplug the connector. The remaining female socket must have a weather proof connector (many of the options listed have this). However when I set the panel up in camp 30’ away so it’s in the sun, I need to be able to take the male end of the connector (on the panel) and attach it easily to an extension cable (which right now has mc4 connectors).

Having another bulkhead-mount socket on the end of the 30’ extension doesn’t make much sense. But unless there is a “cable end” type female connector that mates up with the male connector (that came with the bulkhead mount), that’s the only option.

As far as I can tell, the Marinco and WF28 (and similar) connectors are for bulkhead attachments only and lack a weatherized cable end option like SAE, DT, or Anderson (sorta) do.

Rando

Explorer
Rubber boots are available Anderson plugs but I don't use them. Any connection mounted with the receptacle facing up is going to get water in it unless it is covered or in the desert.

I have 8 sets of Andersons that latch on my panels. They lay on the ground in rain/snow and the best part is the ease of use in any (dark) conditions. There is no issues with bending pins or wearing (mating cycles) the socket out due to misalignment.

I am not sure the boots would be the whole solution it this case - it appears the Anderson connectors are just pressed into a plastic housing and water would flow around the connector into the voids. Many of the circular connectors suggested above are IP67 - which means they are water tight, even to immersion.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Why stick with MC4? Pick a system and just use it everywhere in your outfit. Or make an adapter. There's nothing magical about MC4 and they aren't a great choice if you're making and breaking connections often. They are intended to be left undisturbed mainly.

Rando

Explorer
Lots of good ideas so far. The marinco trolling motor connector looks sufficiently weatherproof and fairly low profile.

However many of these connectors have a flaw (including the Marinco): they aren’t part of a mix & match ecosystem.

Here’s the practical implication of what I am talking about:

When I remove the panel from the roof rack, I’ll obviously unplug the connector. The remaining female socket must have a weather proof connector (many of the options listed have this). However when I set the panel up in camp 30’ away so it’s in the sun, I need to be able to take the male end of the connector (on the panel) and attach it easily to an extension cable (which right now has mc4 connectors).

Having another bulkhead-mount socket on the end of the 30’ extension doesn’t make much sense. But unless there is a “cable end” type female connector that mates up with the male connector (that came with the bulkhead mount), that’s the only option.

As far as I can tell, the Marinco and WF28 (and similar) connectors are for bulkhead attachments only and lack a weatherized cable end option like SAE, DT, or Anderson (sorta) do.

Many pf the circular connectors above have both panel mount and inline connector options. For example the Bulgin 900 series:

Alloy

Those look promising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You want a plug that can be used outside rain or sun.....dropped in the dirt and keeps going. These are mine.

Attachments

• 20200225_083946.jpg
    20200225_083946.jpg
    848.7 KB · Views: 86

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77