Weather proof Bulkhead connector for solar panels?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I suppose based on previous comments the only thing the purists will say "stupid" about is the SAE connector on the roof and the use of regular AC extension cords for carrying DC current. But copper is copper, right?
It's really only unwise to use IEC/UL type plugs if someone unknowingly plugs your solar controller or panels into a wall outlet at home.

From a technical standpoint the main difference in a connector designed for AC-only vs AC/DC is that a DC-safe plug will consider arcing. A plug only designed for AC doesn't have to deal in the same way with its contacts welding themselves as easily if the connection is made hot. AC crosses zero every half cycle so an arc will self extinguish while DC just continues to arc. This isn't a big concern with a low voltage 50W panel or two, but when the system grows (generally the cut off for low voltage DC is 50V) it could be something to think about.

The howls of stupid was meant about the use of AC extension cords...and the "potential" for someone (not me) inadvertently plugging something into an AC receptacle at some point. Since I'm using them in "reverse", with the male end of the extensions being "hot", the only damage that could be done would be frying the panels of someone plugged the hot end of the extension coming from the panels into a hot AC receptacle...quite unlikely in an off-grid environment! Plugging the panels into the extension is the last connection I make when setting up the remote system. As for power loss with 50' of extension in use, I'll see about a 2.7% loss at full output. That is based on the series wired output of two 100W panels at around 34V at 5.7A. I can live with that!

As for the SAE connector use, I'm completely happy with it. The connector fits very snugly in the rooftop receptacle and has never worked loose. The max current it will ever see in my installation with the 200 watts of panels is <6A, so plenty of capacity in that regard and in your case, with 2, 50W panels, you would likely be half that if wired in series.

SBSYNCRO

The howls of stupid was meant about the use of AC extension cords...and the "potential" for someone (not me) inadvertently plugging something into an AC receptacle at some point.

Ah - I assumed you'd cut off the ends and were using SAE connectors rather than the default AC prongs. lol

john61ct

Adventurer
I am not sure why everyone is still suggesting Anderson Power Poles for this application?
APP makes a good overall generic connection to standardize on.

Then when you have exceptions, like guests' devices with those horrible ciggie ports, or

an expensive proprietary trolling motor or Deutsch connector **as in this case**,

then making up pigtail adapters, various length extension cords etc

is a good combination solution

OP can take it or leave it of course

john61ct

Adventurer
Using AC connectors for any purpose other than the standard use is

**VERY** stupid, dangerous, and flat-out **illegal** - quite rightly so - in jurisdictions with civilised regulations

DaveInDenver

Using AC connectors for any purpose other than the standard use is

**VERY** stupid, dangerous, and flat-out **illegal** - quite rightly so - in jurisdictions with civilised regulations
What jurisdictions have adopted a standard or code that specify low voltage DC connectors legally?

Rando

Explorer
Ah - I assumed you'd cut off the ends and were using SAE connectors rather than the default AC prongs. lol

That would be my assumption as well - extension cords are not a bad way to get nice jacketed three conductor wire (although you only need 2 of them), but I would DEFINITELY cut the connectors off and use something more appropriate. One of my main gripes with the SAE connectors is that as far as I know they are all over molded and not field installable - so you have to buy pigtails and splice it on.

Rando

Explorer
APP makes a good overall generic connection to standardize on.

Then when you have exceptions, like guests' devices with those horrible ciggie ports, or

an expensive proprietary trolling motor or Deutsch connector **as in this case**,

then making up pigtail adapters, various length extension cords etc

is a good combination solution

OP can take it or leave it of course

I would disagree with this. The smaller APP are not good connectors for all the reasons discussed above, which is also why you rarely seem them used in professional use (with the exception of the high current versions). It is a pity that they appear to have become so popular in the DIY crowd as there are far better options out there.

john61ct

Adventurer
APP are an excellent standard for the 99.9% cases where "waterproofing" is not an issue.

Feel free to start a thread on that specific topic if you want to argue the point rather than diverting this one further.

DaveInDenver

Actually I said prohibiting using AC connectors for other purposes.

Pretty sure 'Murica is the only developed nation that has "freedom" that way.
Then what international jurisdiction has adopted such a code and which do they enforce? I'm aware of adopted standards that dictate proper use of plug and receptacles on branch circuits but I'm genuinely curious who tries to legally regulate misuse any differently than we do here.

Rando

Explorer
APP are an excellent standard for the 99.9% cases where "waterproofing" is not an issue.

Feel free to start a thread on that specific topic if you want to argue the point rather than diverting this one further.

Or strain relief, or latching, or robust keying, or crimps that capture the insulation or many of the other features that modern connectors have.....

This is pretty germane to this discussion - seems to me that they are still being recommended despite not being a good option.

john61ct

Adventurer
Then what international jurisdiction has adopted such a code and which do they enforce? I'm aware of adopted standards that dictate proper use of plug and receptacles on branch circuits but I'm genuinely curious who tries to legally regulate misuse any differently than we do here.
I'm just talking about normal national/provincial law/regs enforcement.

USA just uses local "codes" and enforces stuff with minor fines.

Other places you can be arrested and go to jail for creating safety hazards, unlicensed people working on mains systems etc.

Get a list of OECD nations, or the top 60 highest GDP per capita, remove the US and that's pretty much your list afaik.

Same as universal health care, decent protections for consumers and working people, stuff like that. . .

DaveInDenver

Or strain relief, or latching, or robust keying, or crimps that capture the insulation or many of the other features that modern connectors have.....

This is pretty germane to this discussion - seems to me that they are still being recommended despite not being a good option.
PowerPoles can be made plenty weatherproof, retained and have strain relief. Anderson, for example, produces the Powerpole Pak system. Anderson is part of Ideal, there's a whole ecosystem beyond the typical ham radio subset for their use in things like vehicles, solar and oil & gas.

CT1P16-15X_DSL.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77