Weather proof Bulkhead connector for solar panels?

Alloy

Late to this discussion, but I faced a similar dilemma with my truck camper that was pre-wired with an SAE connector on the roof as shown in the OP's original post.

I have two 100W panels mounted to the camper roof and two additional panels that I can deploy in a sunny location if needed. I simply made a short, SAE to MC4 adapter cable that serves to connect the two rooftop panels (series wired) to the rooftop SAE connector...works like a champ and if I remove the panels (rarely), the SAE to MC4 adapter cable can be totally removed and the weather cap is installed on the rooftop SAE connector. When in use, I have the SAE to MC4 adapter tie-wrapped to the frame I mount the panels to, so it doesn't flop around. With only 200W of panels on the roof, it's perfectly capable of handling the current, especially since I'm running them in series.

My camper is 12 years old and the SAE rooftop connector is in good condition and has never leaked. Overall, it's a solution that works and is simple to implement. K.I.S.S.

If I were to be removing the rooftop panels frequently, I'd replace the MC4 connectors on the panels with something else...maybe. I have the parts and tools to easily replace MC4 connectors if need be, so I'm not going to obsess over that issue. In your case, if you're regularly removing your panels to locate in the Sun, I'd likely make up a series wiring harness that ends in a single SAE connector to plug into your roof jack when on the roof and an adapter from the panels SAE connector to whatever you decide to use as an extension. This will create howls of "stupid", but I use standard 12GA AC extension cords of whatever length I need for my remote panels with an MC4 to Male AC plug adapter at the panels and a female AC cord end to Male Marinco 40A trolling motor plug to connect to a Marinco weatherproof female bulkhead mount receptacle on underside of the camper wing near the camper to truck wiring entrance point. I've installed a switch inside the camper to select Rooftop panels, Remote panels or Off before the panel feed goes into my MPPT controller. This is also very handy for disconnecting the panels from the controller if I want to disconnect the battery for some reason.

Cheers!
I've had the female side of an SAE connector fail many times that I'd use on a regular bassis. The socket expands then I'd try to squeeze it down but it would be out of round.......

SBSYNCRO

I've had the female side of an SAE connector fail many times that I'd use on a regular bassis. The socket expands then I'd try to squeeze it down but it would be out of round.......

That seems like the weakness of SAE connectors - poor protection against side-loading within the connection itself

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I'm just talking about normal national/provincial law/regs enforcement.

USA just uses local "codes" and enforces stuff with minor fines.

Other places you can be arrested and go to jail for creating safety hazards, unlicensed people working on mains systems etc.

Get a list of OECD nations, or the top 60 highest GDP per capita, remove the US and that's pretty much your list afaik.

Same as universal health care, decent protections for consumers and working people, stuff like that. . .
So there's none you can cite specifically then. The U.S. has plenty of enforceable regulations that can land you in financial trouble or even prison. Just go shopping for professional E&O coverage, insurance company lawyers seem to live to explain it in great detail.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Yes the US relies more on torts and insurance for "enforcement"
Requiring the professional to adhere to "best and accepted practices," which means whatever a prosecutor decides to argue it means. That's what I'm trying to figure out. I'm aware of standards such as IEC 60884-2-4 and 60906-3 that I suppose could dictate this w.r.t SELV/PELV use. So I wonder what jurisdictions you're referring to that might adopt these (or another similar standard) that have assigned some sort of criminal or civil penalty so I can figure out what connectors they use and how they're marked. I'm not familiar with International law to know how a directive (such as the E.U. Low Voltage Directive for for >50VAC/75VDC or Australian rules for >120VDC or 50VAC ) or IEC 60364 carries legal weight (at least how it differs from the NEC and the authority its adoption grants). I simply don't see how low voltage DC is regulated here any differently.

Last edited:

Alloy

Sounds like a great setup - very flexible and modular. I suppose based on previous comments the only thing the purists will say "stupid" about is the SAE connector on the roof and the use of regular AC extension cords for carrying DC current. But copper is copper, right? :D . I have a spool of 10 AWG tinned marine wire leftover from a boat wiring project that I'm using as my extension, but honestly I love your extension cord idea. The single bundle, the thicker jacket, and the greater flexibility of the cord are all advantages in my book. Certainly won't hold up to a harsh marine environment, but for regular camping use, it should last many years.

My biggest question with your setup is the reliability of that SAE connector. It sounds like you are completely happy with it. It seems like the easiest/most natural solution but it seems that a lot of people are anti-SAE. I wonder if that is purely for aesthetic reasons or if there is a practical reason for the dislike for a "medium duty" application like this... The ubiquity of SAE connectors is an advantage as well, if I ever need a field repair in some far-flung place...

I consider AC cords but on that end of the system I wanted the least amount of loss.....AC wire is not tinned, cord ends have screw connections and I wanted 8ga wire for 100' runs.......if we didn't use so much power we wouldn't have to worry about the loss though.

shade

The SmartPlug system may be useful.

Using AC connectors for any purpose other than the standard use is

**VERY** stupid, dangerous, and flat-out **illegal** - quite rightly so - in jurisdictions with civilised regulations

John,

I'm fully aware of need for codes and regulations when it comes to safety and reliability of engineered systems, but I'm also capable of making an informed "engineering" decision to arrive at a cost effective, flexible solution for a very specific situation using readily available materials/components.

Using standard extension cables/connectors as I am might seem, AND BE, *VERY* stupid and dangerous for you...so don't do it! In my case, for my usage, I assure you, it isn't and I take ownership of that responsibility seriously. As I mentioned, in the places I might set out my remote panels, there are no hot AC receptacles for anyone, myself included, to plug into. Oh, I suppose I could sit my portable generator down in front of the solar panels and plug them into it, just to see how much smoke is really bottled up inside them, but that would only be after way to many shots of tequila and I'd only do it once...I promise! I would hope that the OP would be smart enough to consider the possibilities in his usage scenario and take another approach if he deems that appropriate.

As for the "legality" of using said extension cords as I am, I could really give a rat's a** when I'm out boondocking in the middle of nowhere...call me an anarchist, ok? And I'm not likely to have the county electrical inspector show up to check out my wiring, am I?

Cheers!

Ah - I assumed you'd cut off the ends and were using SAE connectors rather than the default AC prongs. lol

No, my goal was to not have to carry extra extension cords. I sometimes stop overnight at a friend's place or at a "Boondockers Welcome" host when traveling cross-country and like to have at least 100' of extension cords with me to reach an outlet. I carry a 50' 10ga and 2 25', 12ga cords...the hardwired AC cable in the camper has a 120V 30A TT-30P plug on it, so I use an adapter to convert to standard 120V 20A plug if not plugging directly into a 30A RV receptacle. I would never be setting out the panels and connecting to AC at the same time.

john61ct

Adventurer
I recognize your "right" to leave live landmines scattered around

and believe that you are unlikely to set them off yourself.

But they could well land in the hands of others one day,

So please, just consider, as your rig evolves,

coming to an alternative solution.

Last edited:

Alloy

SB50s are not for solar

Why is that?

I recognize your "right" to leave live landmines scattered around

and believe that you are unlikely to set them off yourself.

But they could well land in the hands of others one day,

So please, just consider, as your rig evolves,

coming to an alternative solution.

What are the landmines if a NEMA 5-15R (female receptacle) is used for DC?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77