Weather proof Bulkhead connector for solar panels?

john61ct

Adventurer
Indeed, DT connectors are very nice for inline connections or a bulkhead mount where you don't mind the connection standing straight up in the air (which is the deal killer for me)
As mentioned above, can use a junction box to give a horizontal profile.

Deutsch PCB enclosure is ready OTS

shade

Another approach would be very low cost to use DT connectors is to use a preset crimper that works over a narrow range of wire size like 14-18 AWG. Here is the best deal going. You can buy the whole kit with all 3 preset crimpers or buy them individually. I do vouch for this company. I buy some of my wiring supplies from and always top notch service.
Thanks. I'll look into those. I know I can Google for clones, but I don't like buying without recommendations, since quality can vary dramatically once moving past the top tier tools. I wish RC at Marine How To offered a DT crimper, since I know he tests tools thoroughly.

john61ct

Adventurer
As mentioned above, can use a junction box to give a horizontal profile.

Deutsch PCB enclosure is ready OTS

If you don't like that type of box
F7242557-01.jpg

adapt one of these
solarpanelbox1.jpg

or just a vanilla junction box
solarpanelbox2.jpg

Alloy

Last edited:

Alloy

well, I just measured and the Zamp unit won't fit under my crossbars (which would mean it might interfere with things mounted on them). Looks like I'm going with the raised profile unit you pictured. Which one is that? Its tough to find one in 14 AWG, which is what I'm building everything with (except for my extension cord, which is 10 AWG)

Oh oh back to 90 degree strain ( 1 hole to seal) relief and Andersons.;)

I just spent the last few days making a harness for this. Those two connectors are a size 14 shell and each has 37 pins that are 22 awg. Talk about crossed eyes. All of my electrical and electronics work is for pro level motorsport racing teams. So tier one suppliers are a necessity for me. No cutting corners or short cuts allowed. I have about a dozen that I buy from. Unfortunately there is no one supplier for everything I use.
20200303_185116.jpg

john61ct

Adventurer
I only use Deutsch connector for electronics (too delicate for electrical) so I don't used allot of them. This crimper I use.
I was only referring to DT, DTM and DTP

The latter go from size 20 contacts at 7A up to size 4 can handle 100A.

These connectors are milspec, aerospace & nuclear robust and widely used in mission-critical marine and offshore use cases by the petroleum industry

yes for power, not just electronic signaling.

I think you must be referring to a subset of gauges at the small end of that spectrum only? D-SUB is only what 4-5A for power?

The AF8 tool with TH474 turret will handle a larger range than that crimper

Alloy

I'm wondering when this thread will move toward recommending trailer plugs be high spec connectors.

dreadlocks

I'm wondering when this thread will move toward recommending trailer plugs be high spec connectors.

As soon as someone makes a pripotary expo trailer plug thats submersible to 90ft, Locking, with a 2awg power feed, air supply, camera lines and most importantly a swivel base so they can do barrel rolls with their fully articulating hitch you know this crowd is go nuts trying to give their money to em.

SBSYNCRO

If by "Trailer plugs" you mean SAE connectors, then I think we're already there. Thats what I'm going to be using on the roof top, but APP connectors everywhere else. I finally settled on that connector for a couple of reasons:

1. Low profile and unobtrusive
2. Ubiquitous in case a need arises on a trip - plugs available at pretty much any Walmart or AutoZone, or even down in Baja by stripping an old boat trailer.
3. Sufficiently weather proof
4. Does not require $300 specialized crimping tool to repair or replace
5. Will sustain many insertion/removal cycles (assuming good quality).

As soon as someone makes a pripotary expo trailer plug thats submersible to 90ft, Locking, with a 2awg power feed, air supply, camera lines and most importantly a swivel base so they can do barrel rolls with their fully articulating hitch you know this crowd is go nuts trying to give their money to em.

DEFINITELY the best answer yet on this thread! I nearly spit coffee out my nose reading it. :D

Last edited:

SBSYNCRO

SAE J560 ? Excellent connector !Not exactly waterproof but weatherproof if mounted vertically. Millions in use at any given moment and millions more ready to plug in and go.
I dont tolerate fiddlefucky low grade wiring connections so use them on all my trailers. Tractor too, connecting roof and implement lighting and such.
Nope, simpler and lower profile. Like this

1583344944460.png

SBSYNCRO

Oh, Back to lowgrade and fiddlefucky...

After 8 pages of this thread, it became apparent that there is no "perfect" solution to the initial problem I outlined in my original post. The issue with the J560 is that it is big and bulky (and ugly sticking up out of the roof) and won't fit under the 2" clearance of the roof rack. I held my nose and ordered the "fiddlefucky" SAE two pole bulkhead connector. If I find something better some day, the good news is that of all the options I looked at, this requires the smallest hole in the roof. Therefore I can always enlarge the hole to accommodate something better.

john61ct

Adventurer
To me the absolute deal breaker would be the ampacity rating, well above the highest current the connector will see.

And to trust the rating, you have to trust the manufacturer. For even top notch quality SAE bullet connectors, aka "universal 2-way flat molded", what d you think, 10A? 15A?

The other must-have is the **ability** to make up my own custom crimped extension / adapter cables / harnesses, and

just above we were shown perfectly good crimpers for Deutsch for under $50 delivered!

Those SAE are so generic, yes an advantage from one POV but when wanting to source good quality, no more so than anything else sold on Mouser Digi etc.

But anyway, if you are gonna go that way, TecMate / OptiMate and PowerWerx are decent vendors, seen some "weatherproof" bulkhead fittings.

Last edited:

SBSYNCRO

Back in the good old days when I was a young man we had to go to Radio shack and hope they had what we needed. If not, we'd pull out the old Heath Kit or Damark catalog, fill out an order form, go to the post office and get a money order, then stick it all into an envelope and send it off in the mail, hoping that within a few weeks we'd get what we ordered. Sometimes you got a postcard saying they were out of stock. Yea, those were the good old days....

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77