Weather proof Bulkhead connector for solar panels?

john61ct

Adventurer
Why is that?
Well in a situation different from the OP's, if you have a solar powered current in a single pair over 45A then sure.

> What are the landmines if a NEMA 5-15R (female receptacle) is used for DC?

So far I've thought you to be of reasonable intelligence. Does not take much imagination to come up with scenarios involving ignorant / inexperienced / subnormal people hurting themselves, does it?

Alloy

Well in a situation different from the OP's, if you have a solar powered current in a single pair over 45A then sure.

> What are the landmines if a NEMA 5-15R (female receptacle) is used for DC?

So far I've thought you to be of reasonable intelligence. Does not take much imagination to come up with scenarios involving ignorant / inexperienced / subnormal people hurting themselves, does it?
Sorry I can't think of it...the only way I can think of it being dangerous is if someone was using a cord they made with male cord ends at both ends.

Alloy

The only danger scenario I can think of...
One is using L and N as their DC current carrying condutors, AND its accidentially plugged into 120VAC. Their solar array probably suffer major burn up and possibly their metallic frames become energised.

Avoided by simply following one of the wiring scenarios some ************** written up on post nr. 71.
Or just dont use NEMA 5-15/20 connectors on DC Solar...

OK I was stuck in the way I set up. Pluging into the DC then unreeling the cord over to the panels. Wasn't thinking of the panels being plugged into 110VAC which I can see being done. My 100th brain fart so far this year.

rayra

Expedition Leader
It doesn't cost much nor take much room to give your deployable panel some inexpensive and dedicated wiring that can't be accidentally plugged into 120VAC. And still have some wiring adapters for other connection types.

solarpanelmount23.jpg
solarpanelmount06.jpg

john61ct

Adventurer
Bingo!

No matter what fancy waterproof connector system you choose for where you need them, including the "usual" mounted location for your topside solar panels

Your "lingua franca" choice for serial/parallel junction boxes, spooled or shorter extension cabling, pigtail adapters for USB chargers, portable powerpaks, guest's ciggie port devices etc etc

should be a standard that is relatively cheap, very commonly available, reliable long-lived trouble-free etc etc.

That principle can of course be implemented with a standard other than Anderson if you have a different preference.

Alloy

The Anderson plugs spent 3 days in the snow this weekend. On of the nice features is the lock is more of a detente. When sliding the panels into place the plug separates rather than breaking something.
20200301_142249A.jpg20200301_142306A.jpg

SBSYNCRO

Thanks everyone. I think I'm probably going to go with something like this for the top mount (assuming it will clear underneath the panel):

ZS-1B-CAP(3-4)2.png

The advantage of this direction is that I can make the install very clean on the inside of the roof (without having a bulkhead connector sticking down through the roof. But the top-side unit is quite large (3-3/8"L x 2-3/8"W x 2-1/4"H)

Or this for an even lower profile on the rear vertical edge of the roof (facing rear-ward):

31Al88VBmKL.jpg

There simply don't seem to be any other commonly available weather-resistant bulkhead mounts for this sort of application.

Last edited:

john61ct

Adventurer
Again, Deutsch DT bulkhead or panel mount connectors will be **much** better than any SAE or what's that other, MC4?

Available up to six pair per plug.DSCF0024.jpg

Alloy

Thanks everyone. I think I'm probably going to go with something like this for the top mount (assuming it will clear underneath the panel):

View attachment 570886

The advantage of this direction is that I can make the install very clean on the inside of the roof (without having a bulkhead connector sticking down through the roof. But the top-side unit is quite large (3-3/8"L x 2-3/8"W x 2-1/4"H)

Or this for an even lower profile on the roof:

31Al88VBmKL.jpg

There simply don't seem to be any other commonly available weather-resistant bulkhead mounts for this sort of application.

The vertical socket of the Zamp would be my choice but if you're looking for low profile something with a raised profile will help to keep water/dirt out.

1583181424878.png

SBSYNCRO

well, I just measured and the Zamp unit won't fit under my crossbars (which would mean it might interfere with things mounted on them). Looks like I'm going with the raised profile unit you pictured. Which one is that? Its tough to find one in 14 AWG, which is what I'm building everything with (except for my extension cord, which is 10 AWG)

shade

That video seems legit.
Who makes a good crimper? I like nice tools, but $300 for a Deutsch is a bit much for as little as I'll use it.

SBSYNCRO

That video seems legit.
Who makes a good crimper? I like nice tools, but $300 for a Deutsch is a bit much for as little as I'll use it.

Indeed, DT connectors are very nice for inline connections or a bulkhead mount where you don't mind the connection standing straight up in the air (which is the deal killer for me).

Here's some crimpers on Amazon:

The AFM8 crimper can be had from various online tool houses. Yes the true blue crimper is expensive. It is made by DMC Tooling. Top of the line crimper.
Just Google AFM8 crimper should be up a lot of source for the original and clone crimpers.

Another approach would be very low cost to use DT connectors is to use a preset crimper that works over a narrow range of wire size like 14-18 AWG. Here is the best deal going. You can buy the whole kit with all 3 preset crimpers or buy them individually. I do vouch for this company. I buy some of my wiring supplies from and always top notch service.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepaltourism