Weather proof Bulkhead connector for solar panels?

Seems like a majority of replies are touting Anderson connectors. First off I have nothing against ANderson connectors but they are not weather or water proof even using the sealing boot or cover. They carry no IP rating against water intrusion. For a roof mounted bulkhead connector I would recommend a minimum of IP67.

If your heart is really set on using Anderson connector then here is a 50 Amp sealed bulkhead connector. It does not carry an IP rating. I have not found a direct source here in the U.S. but is available for order from Australia. They also offer some nice mating connectors with a built in cable glad strain relief. Being 50 amp rating I am thinking SB50 would also be mating connector.
TV333820-50.jpg

TV333820-50.jpg

TV333820-50.jpg

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Seems like a majority of replies are touting Anderson connectors. First off I have nothing against ANderson connectors but they are not weather or water proof even using the sealing boot or cover. They carry no IP rating against water intrusion. For a roof mounted bulkhead connector I would recommend a minimum of IP67.

If your heart is really set on using Anderson connector then here is a 50 Amp sealed bulkhead connector. It does not carry an IP rating. I have not found a direct source here in the U.S. but is available for order from Australia. They also offer some nice mating connectors with a built in cable glad strain relief. Being 50 amp rating I am thinking SB50 would also be mating connector.
TV333820-50.jpg

TV333820-50.jpg

TV333820-50.jpg
Seems I keep coming across Trailer Vision and SB50 in Google searches for it. Might be a handy solution if there was U.S. distribution other than international eBay.

Seems I keep coming across Trailer Vision and SB50 in Google searches for it. Might be a handy solution if there was U.S. distribution other than international eBay.
Trailer Vision doesn't even have an active website to contact them about becoming a U.S. Distributor. I would entertain the idea if there was a way to reach out to them.

john61ct

Adventurer
I'm still plugging Deutsch, more so now

Deutsch DT, maybe use a mounting box if you want lots of sockets up to four I think, each can be up to 6-pair.

Super reliable, fully waterproof as designed no add-ons, proven in many heavy use industries, full ecosystem of mounting or inline options.

To save money if otherwise standardised on APP, just make up some pigtail adapters for your extension cords etc.

rayra

Expedition Leader
SB50 stuff (and the rest of the Anderson product line) is available via Powerwerx. I've ordered there many times, good prompt service, no connection whatsoever.

btw, an SB50 is a pretty large connector, physically, and way overkill for a vehicle solar setup. real nice connectors though. I'm using their SB175 with 1/0 cabling for my winch hookups

and be aware that the differently colored large / SB-series Anderson connectors are differently keyed. IIRC only the black and gray are keyed alike.

winch060 rear plug test fitted.jpg

Last edited:

Rando

Explorer
I am not sure why everyone is still suggesting Anderson Power Poles for this application? There is no good reason to use them, and they are clearly NOT the right connectors for this application (or really for most applications).

Alloy

I got to thinking about the generators we use to put together. Each leg of the 220VAC had single pole Camlock connector like this.

1582678967993.png

These are the bulkhead connectors with the caps

1582678720729.png

Late to this discussion, but I faced a similar dilemma with my truck camper that was pre-wired with an SAE connector on the roof as shown in the OP's original post.

I have two 100W panels mounted to the camper roof and two additional panels that I can deploy in a sunny location if needed. I simply made a short, SAE to MC4 adapter cable that serves to connect the two rooftop panels (series wired) to the rooftop SAE connector...works like a champ and if I remove the panels (rarely), the SAE to MC4 adapter cable can be totally removed and the weather cap is installed on the rooftop SAE connector. When in use, I have the SAE to MC4 adapter tie-wrapped to the frame I mount the panels to, so it doesn't flop around. With only 200W of panels on the roof, it's perfectly capable of handling the current, especially since I'm running them in series.

My camper is 12 years old and the SAE rooftop connector is in good condition and has never leaked. Overall, it's a solution that works and is simple to implement. K.I.S.S.

If I were to be removing the rooftop panels frequently, I'd replace the MC4 connectors on the panels with something else...maybe. I have the parts and tools to easily replace MC4 connectors if need be, so I'm not going to obsess over that issue. In your case, if you're regularly removing your panels to locate in the Sun, I'd likely make up a series wiring harness that ends in a single SAE connector to plug into your roof jack when on the roof and an adapter from the panels SAE connector to whatever you decide to use as an extension. This will create howls of "stupid", but I use standard 12GA AC extension cords of whatever length I need for my remote panels with an MC4 to Male AC plug adapter at the panels and a female AC cord end to Male Marinco 40A trolling motor plug to connect to a Marinco weatherproof female bulkhead mount receptacle on underside of the camper wing near the camper to truck wiring entrance point. I've installed a switch inside the camper to select Rooftop panels, Remote panels or Off before the panel feed goes into my MPPT controller. This is also very handy for disconnecting the panels from the controller if I want to disconnect the battery for some reason.

Cheers!

SBSYNCRO

This will create howls of "stupid", but I use standard 12GA AC extension cords of whatever length I need for my remote panels with an MC4 to Male AC plug adapter at the panels and a female AC cord end to Male Marinco 40A trolling motor plug to connect to a Marinco weatherproof female bulkhead mount receptacle on underside of the camper wing near the camper to truck wiring entrance point. I've installed a switch inside the camper to select Rooftop panels, Remote panels or Off before the panel feed goes into my MPPT controller. This is also very handy for disconnecting the panels from the controller if I want to disconnect the battery for some reason.

Sounds like a great setup - very flexible and modular. I suppose based on previous comments the only thing the purists will say "stupid" about is the SAE connector on the roof and the use of regular AC extension cords for carrying DC current. But copper is copper, right? :D . I have a spool of 10 AWG tinned marine wire leftover from a boat wiring project that I'm using as my extension, but honestly I love your extension cord idea. The single bundle, the thicker jacket, and the greater flexibility of the cord are all advantages in my book. Certainly won't hold up to a harsh marine environment, but for regular camping use, it should last many years.

My biggest question with your setup is the reliability of that SAE connector. It sounds like you are completely happy with it. It seems like the easiest/most natural solution but it seems that a lot of people are anti-SAE. I wonder if that is purely for aesthetic reasons or if there is a practical reason for the dislike for a "medium duty" application like this... The ubiquity of SAE connectors is an advantage as well, if I ever need a field repair in some far-flung place...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77