Wedge Camper Safety?

Vigilance777

I've been looking at purchasing a wedge style camper, it's between the GFC and the SuperPacific now.
I had a random thought, what is truly holding open the camper while it's up? Is it just the two gas struts or do these wedge campers also have a latch or something to "lock" it open?
I don't want to be in the camper and have a strut fail, to have it close on me while I'm sleeping in there. Also thinking that if the only thing holding these lids open are two struts, then are they safe to drive slowly while open?

Kind of like a floor jack (hydraulics) vs jack stands safety concern.

Any thoughts and info would be much appreciated. You can even tell me my worry is unfounded for some reason. Thanks.

Last edited:

Vigilance777

What does that security pole look like and where does it go? Can we confirm the GFC or the SuperPacific have it as well?
Also I would love to check out your DIY wedge, do you have a photo thread?

jadmt

ignore button user
I was in strong winds with my GFC and no way it is coming down. Once open it takes a lot of effort to get it back down. and say the worst happened and both struts failed at exactly the same time the top does not weigh much. but you have 10X better chance of winning the lottery than both shocks failing. there is no security pole on a GFC and it is not needed.

plh

Explorer
What does that security pole look like and where does it go? Can we confirm the GFC or the SuperPacific have it as well?
Also I would love to check out your DIY wedge, do you have a photo thread?

It looks a lot like a broom stick. I made brackets on the top and bottom of the widest open side of the wedge, and insert it there when open. I have no idea what GFC or SP are doing.

Instagram: @83mmax

mcjager

I've been looking at purchasing a wedge style camper, it's between the GFC and the SuperPacific now.
I had a random thought, what is truly holding open the camper while it's up? Is it just the two gas struts or do these wedge campers also have a latch or something to "lock" it open?
I don't want to be in the camper and have a strut fail, to have it close on me while I'm sleeping in there. Also thinking that if the only thing holding these lids open are two struts, then are they safe to drive slowly while open?

Any thoughts and info would be much appreciated. You can even tell me my worry is unfounded for some reason. Thanks.

On Enduro Campers there are safety locks. I would recommend checking out a pop top. Although it takes an extra few minutes to set up, it is still worth checking out.

Check out this Enduro Camper Pop Top.

Screen Shot 2022-02-14 at 4.30.07 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-02-14 at 4.31.58 PM.png

mcjager

Screen Shot 2022-02-14 at 4.32.08 PM.png

mkish

Adventurer
You can always stick a post in. I have one for my totally different lift system because I'm paranoid. It's cut just the right size to slide between the fridge cabinet and the roof. Just find 2 solid things and wedge a 2x4 between 'em.

And yes, I suspect our worry is unfounded. :) So what? A stick is easy.

tacollie

Glamper
I would worry about lightening before I worried about a strut failure. If it was an issue you would have heard about it at this point.

Snow load is real. Sweep the roof if a bunch of snow built up over night. I've heard of people cracking pop up frames trying to close them with fresh snow on the roof.

Mtpisgah

We have an AluCab canopy camper and it has a trap door at the back of the truck. We keep it up when we are sleeping so we can climb down to the bathroom in the middle of the night. In the unlikely event that both struts were to give at the same time, the trap door would catch the top allowing us to escape. I am not worried about it though.

As an experiment my wife had me gently close the camper on her while she was in it soon after we bought it, she just wants to see how much space there was. We had the mattress and sleeping bags in the camper at the time. She was pinned but not crushed. if she had tried she probably could have pushed the camper up on her own.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design