Weekender expeditioner from colorado LJ Rubicon

whitecon

Observer
Another question for you. What type of rack system is supporting your RTT?
BTW nice setup! I've beeen trying to find pics of that exact setup on an LJ.

wardrow

Adventurer
:sombrero: Welcome, That looks like a very capable off-road setup

Evidentally, the rack supports you guys, OK ???

Have you driven that jeep during the summer, without engine/xmission temp. troubles???

I've never seen the storage of a jerry can right in front of the radiator, it wouldn't work in California/Nevada, where the ambiant temp can get to 115/120 deg

Kewl outfit-

:costumed-smiley-007:safari-rig::safari-rig: JIMBO

The rack is a Kargo master Congo cage and has held up quite well.

No problems with the jerry can here, but it is considerably cooler in CO. We would have a winch there, but our electric burned out earlier this year. SO...until we can afford a new winch, the can rides there.

wardrow

Adventurer
Wow, great set up you've got there. My dog is so jealous of the luxury your's has. I think she want's to go back to the pound and roll the dice on another owner.

Since we're playing twenty questions with you, where did those slim, blue Rubbermaid (coolers?) come from. They look great for tucking into some of those almost usable spaces. My pack outs are tight, these look like they could give me some flexability...do tell more.

Bought the coolers at REI a couple of years ago for about $20 each. They hold up well and fit perfectly on the tire carrier rack. We have definitely outgrown them, and will soon be stepping up to an Engel 35 for our longer trips.

wardrow

Adventurer
Very nice! Question... How has the weight of the tent affected the trail handling?

Dennis

We are running a stock suspension and the extra weight of the tent along with the rack and our heavy duty body armor has maxed it out. The next mod is a suspension upgrade.

wardrow

Adventurer
What do you think you will go with?

We've been looking at a Terra Flex Enduro LCG suspension with AEV progressive rate springs, Billstein 5100 shocks, Currie steering linkage upgrade, rear Currie anti-rock sway bar, front Terra Flex dual rate sway bar, and 255 85 R16 BFG KM2's.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
We've been looking at a Terra Flex Enduro LCG suspension with AEV progressive rate springs, Billstein 5100 shocks, Currie steering linkage upgrade, rear Currie anti-rock sway bar, front Terra Flex dual rate sway bar, and 255 85 R16 BFG KM2's.

That's a pretty significant upgrade. Seriously think about a tummy tuck while you're at it. I just recently upgraded to the AEV progressive springs in the rear of my LJ, and it's made a huge improvement.

wardrow

Adventurer
That's a pretty significant upgrade. Seriously think about a tummy tuck while you're at it. I just recently upgraded to the AEV progressive springs in the rear of my LJ, and it's made a huge improvement.
I for got to mention that I already have the terraflex belly up skid plate, and body lift, and motor mount lift. this cuts down on the price of the enduro lcg lift.

Thanks for all the replies, Great site here.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
Very nice set up.

Just thought I would chime in here.

Most in Colorado know this already, but others may not.

Raingler Nets
Rockhard4x4
and
Jeeperman bumpers

They are all one company. Anyhow, as I understand it they eventually sold out and the new folks stopped selling under the jeeperman name, but still sell all the same stuff. You can still find it all online. Never seen a bolt in cage before or since, but I sure like the idea...

ccarley

Adventurer

That sounds like a great suspension setup! I was hesitant about purchasing Bilstein 5125's for my Wagoneer, but I wouldn't go with anything else now.

That looks like an awesome overall setup you have. One of these days... I may get a RTT for my Wagoneer. I still don't mind sleeping on the ground, but my wife is wanting to "move up" to sleeping in the Jeep.

Good luck with your LJ, it looks great!

I think I've seen you on I-76 (near the hwy 85 exit) several times while heading into work from Brighton. If you had an lifted blue/purple XJ driving around you that was probably me checking out your setup. I gave you the thumbs up, but you were more focused on driving than me :snorkel:

QUESTION: Is having a RTT worth not being able to drop the top or flip up the "sunroof" ?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3