Well I passed!!!!

Took my Tech exam today, 10min and 100%...think I studied WAY too much!. Anyway guess I have to wait for my license to show up on the database, well that and until I decided on what radio to start with.

Handheld or Mobile? Feel free to offer any advise.

loren85022

Explorer
Took my Tech exam today, 10min and 100%...think I studied WAY too much!. Anyway guess I have to wait for my license to show up on the database, well that and until I decided on what radio to start with.

Congrats. I'm studying now. How did you prepare?

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Congrats! First radio i would suggest is a HT so you can take it with you and learn as you go. Multiple vehicles, hikes, break at work etc.

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Congrats to the world of ham radio. Use it well and it will treat you well also.Learn what you can it can only help you. Rich KI6IGN

Expedition Leader
Congratulations on your ticket!

A mobile radio has 10x the power of an HT, but HT's are handy and fun. You'll eventually have both so it doesn't matter too much which one you get first. :) Amateur radio is like 4WD and overlanding; there's always something more to spend your money on.

xtatik

Explorer
Congratulations!....and get both if you can. If not, get you're mobile first. HT's are great and offer some specific (and obvious) utility, but they are not as powerful.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader

congrats, dude. Personally I'd go with a handheld, so that I could easily stow it at my house, when I knew i wouldn't need it, or on the strap of a backpack while hiking, etc...

When my LJ got stolen I lost a lot of gear, including the CB radio that I've had for ever, and a HAM is something that I don't want to be buying twice, ya' know?!

:)

jeffjeeptj

Adventurer
Congratulations. Looks like you over-studied by 9 questions. I am facing the same dliemma as you, which radio first?
Again, congratulations

xtatik

Explorer
http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?t=247613&highlight=mobile+OR+handheld

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?t=232053&highlight=mobile+OR+handheld&page=2

It might be good to read through the threads I've cross-posted here.
I think you'll ultimately be dissatisfied with an HT as a first or main radio. Most hams view HT's as an "accessory" means of communicating. They work very well for this purpose. Mine gets packed into my fishing vest and it's great for this purpose. But, I wouldn't have bought it as a first radio because the bulk of my outdoor time is spent in or near my truck. You will eventually find out that an HT is physically (as in physics) compromised by comparison to a mobile radio. Most who buy them (and actually use them often) as a first radio soon become dissatisfied due to the comparative underperfomance and ultimately end up buying a mobile.

Last edited:
I am leaning towards the mobile route for a few reasons not the least of which is to be used while overlanding. Now the next question which one? I am already studying for my General and wonder if it would be more advantages to buy a mobile that will cover not only VHF/UHF but also the HF band. Or, would it be a case of Jack-of-all, Master-of-none?

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Took my Tech exam today, 10min and 100%...
Awesome! Congrats!

A mobile is a must and you can live without an HT, not that you will want to.
I have been watching the "Cheap Chinese HT" thread and thinking about one of those. Might be a good way to get the feet wet while you decide on a mobile?

I REALLY like my Yaesu FT8800R. Dual band is the only way to go. I use it every day, I can not say the same about my VX-7R HT. It only sees exploration duty.

I don't know if the HF will be a big advantage for your mobile. I always kind of thought of those as more of a "Shack" radio. They add a significant price to the radio too.

Expedition Leader
I am leaning towards the mobile route for a few reasons not the least of which is to be used while overlanding. Now the next question which one? I am already studying for my General and wonder if it would be more advantages to buy a mobile that will cover not only VHF/UHF but also the HF band. Or, would it be a case of Jack-of-all, Master-of-none?

Only a matter of your budget and imagination. With a multi-band including HF radio, you will have to have either multiple antennas or a relatively large and bulky tunable antenna. Unless you want to talk hundreds or thousands of miles back home, a good 2M mobile is the most useful trail radio IMO. You can spend anywhere from about $150 for a basic 75-watt Yaesu FT-2900, or $500+ for a really nice dual-band Kenwood or Yaesu. You have a lot greater antenna selection (for clearance, range, mounting options, etc.) with a 2M or dual-band also.

matt s

Explorer
Definitely go dual band. I would go with a mobile unit. I would have bought the tri-band unit but was not prepared to shell out that kind of cash while just getting into HAM. So I bought a pretty nice dual band mobile at the HAM swap (Anchorage one should be coming up this spring).

I don't talk much but listen most days while driving. It's really nice to be able to monitor 2m and 70cm.

xtatik

Explorer

This changes everything in what I'd recommend. If you're serious about the General upgrade, completely ignore any suggestions towards an FM only rig. Do yourself and your wallet the favor of buying a multimode/multiband radio now. Don't put yourself through the inevitable process of buying a series of radios that won't serve your General privileges. A multimode/multiband radio is not a "jack of all, master of none". Simply put, it is a far more capable radio and "masters" all bands and modes available to the appropriately licensed amateur. If you upgrade, it will probably be the only type of radio you'll own for mobile purposes from that point forward. The fact that you reside (and recreate, I assume) in Alaska, a multimode/multiband will also have the 60m Alaskan emergency frequency/channel which is shared with the Alaska Private Fixed Service. It is monitored 24 hours a day. This is an amateur band (for us amateurs) that is dedicated for emergency use only in or within 93kms of the state of Alaska.
I've owned a number of different radios and wished that someone had given me this advice. Of course, at that time I had no idea that I would upgrade as I did. No doubt, it is a bigger expense on the front end to buy one of these radios...but, if I were to add up the money spent on all the "intermediate" radios purchased and sold at a loss along the way, I'm certain I would have saved both money and "install time" if I had just bought the multiband in the beginning.
As for installation, these radios really don't require much more consideration than an FM rig. Most will have remote mount/removable faceplate capability. Antennas run the gamut, and I wouldn't get too caught up in which works best. They will all amount to a compromise when mounted on a vehicle. Some will work better than others, but worldwide contacts have been made on simple $30.00 "Hamsticks". Screwdriver types are my recommendation if they fit the budget, and they come in all sizes. They vary from massive units requiring massive mounts to smaller units that can utilize the smaller commercially available mounts used for 2m antennas. And yes, they hold up just fine offroad.
I run a Yaesu FT-857d and an ATAS-120a antenna. The radio is mounted under the passenger seat and the antenna is mounted on a Diamond K400 series lip mount. It has been through thousands of offroad miles without a single problem. With a duplexer attached at the radio input I get both FM and HF with the push of a button. Unfortunately, the ATAS won't tune 60m (Alaska Emergency), so for your purposes, I would look to the smaller unit from Tarheel Antennas.
http://www.tarheelantennas.com/little_tarheel_ii
It will tune 60m, but won't work on FM (2m/70cm), but in Alaska... you're either near a repeater or you ain't! I would simply buy a small cheap dualband antenna and mount it in another spot.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk