What about Side x sides , UTV for expeditions section...

Bdk

So I've got a little more done on my trailer, and still a lot more to go. I finished up most of the critical stuff tho and actually hauled it about 400 miles round trip behind my wife's gmc terrain to haul all my kids Christmas stuff back from their grandparents. It actually did great, even at 75 mph on the interstate. I still need to add a spare tire, 20lb propane tank, and I'm thinking of adding some kind of rack up top that I can put kayaks, a roof basket, or car top luggage box on for additional storage. Pillows and sleeping bags take up a lot of space and don't weigh much so I think it would be a good place for them. Here are a few pics of it currently.
evu5a3u3.jpg
qe3yzama.jpg
aduremu5.jpg

On our way to the grandparents
ejy8u5a4.jpg
2a8aqape.jpg
7a8avaja.jpg

Barely fits on my 18' trailer
Any suggestions on additions or design changes would be appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

easyshell

We have a 2010 rzr 4image.jpg
image.jpg
It's great to take the whole family and be able to explore a lot more areas and cover rougher ground in comfort
Only problem is storage is at a premium but that is in the works for a change along with a boat rack or trailer

Bdk

I hear you on the storage issue. With my 2 seat Teryx I could carry enough for 2 people if I packed carefully but there's no way to carry enough gear for 4 people on any of the sportier 4 seat utv's.

I took my revised trailer out for a trial run at the local ORV park a couple days ago and it worked great. I loaded it as if I was taking the family camping for a weekend and there was no extra room for sure but it pulled great over and thru everything I could imagine encountering on the trail.

y6yvu3ed.jpg

jyhaqyta.jpg

PA Slammer

Observer
So I've got a little more done on my trailer, and still a lot more to go. I finished up most of the critical stuff tho and actually hauled it about 400 miles round trip behind my wife's gmc terrain to haul all my kids Christmas stuff back from their grandparents. It actually did great, even at 75 mph on the interstate. I still need to add a spare tire, 20lb propane tank, and I'm thinking of adding some kind of rack up top that I can put kayaks, a roof basket, or car top luggage box on for additional storage. Pillows and sleeping bags take up a lot of space and don't weigh much so I think it would be a good place for them. Here are a few pics of it currently.
evu5a3u3.jpg
qe3yzama.jpg
aduremu5.jpg

On our way to the grandparents
ejy8u5a4.jpg
2a8aqape.jpg
7a8avaja.jpg

Barely fits on my 18' trailer
Any suggestions on additions or design changes would be appreciated!

Wheel chocks for trailer and put tongue under rzr...

PA Slammer

4x4v8

Observer
Wheel chocks for trailer and put tongue under rzr...

PA Slammer

I have found that when I put the tongue under the quad that the trailer moves around quite a bit. I end up using a lot of straps to hold it down and it still swings. Leaving it hooked on to then quad makes it more stable with a single axle trailer. Small single axle trailers with "balloon"ish tires swing around in the trailer all the time.

How do you get the trailer to be stable with the tongue under the sxs or ATV?

Bdk

I also prefer to leave the trailer hooked up and since I my trailer is long enough that's what I usually do. I have put the tongue under the Teryx tho and it works just as well, and has better weight distribution, but is more trouble to load and unload. I back the trailer on and then take a strap around the axle and pull it all the way forward against the front rail. I then turn around and pull the Teryx on forward and strap it down as usual. I don't have any pics of it like that but it keeps the majority of the weight over the axles and off the tongue. If I haul more than just a few miles that's how I'll do it from now on. If your small trailer has a solid axle I highly recommend strapping it down by going around the axle. I have taken mine down some pretty rough roads like that and it has never moved.

4x4v8

Observer
I also prefer to leave the trailer hooked up and since I my trailer is long enough that's what I usually do. I have put the tongue under the Teryx tho and it works just as well, and has better weight distribution, but is more trouble to load and unload. I back the trailer on and then take a strap around the axle and pull it all the way forward against the front rail. I then turn around and pull the Teryx on forward and strap it down as usual. I don't have any pics of it like that but it keeps the majority of the weight over the axles and off the tongue. If I haul more than just a few miles that's how I'll do it from now on. If your small trailer has a solid axle I highly recommend strapping it down by going around the axle. I have taken mine down some pretty rough roads like that and it has never moved.

Thanks. Good advice. I always think about strapping on the outside of the load. Never considered strapping down the axles. I've had a brushcutter swing around but my wood chipper seems to be fine.

On another note, did you build that trailer? How big is that deck? I really like that size. I'm looking for something similar. If the atv fit on the trailer that would be even better. It looks smmall behind your sxs but a fair size behind your Terrain. Hahaha.

Bdk

Haha, I'm pretty sure my sxs is bigger than the terrain. The track width is almost identical tho, 62". I might as well have built the trailer, but it started life as a cheap harbor freight trailer. The deck is 40" x 48" and it's rated for 1190 lbs it think. I added a steel floor, 32x10.75 fenders, the front cargo rack and poly tool boxes from tractor supply. The axles come with a 4 on 4.00 bolt pattern (same as a golf cart) so I bought some 2+5 offset 12x7" wheels and put some atv tires on it. I also replaced the tongue with a longer one made from 2.5" 3/16 square tubing. I will probably replace the axle at some point too as this little project has expanded greatly since it's conception lol. You can certainly build one cheap but I if ur looking at doing something like mine I would recommend starting from scratch, itll probably turn out cheaper in the long run. PM if u have any other questions. I've had a lot of fun building this but learned a few things to do different next time.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater