What did you do to your Expo Jeep today?

tom11919

I finished some long overdue repairs this morning.

The unhealthy sounds coming from the pull-a-part 8.8 had been gradually getting louder and louder ever since dragging the old M101A1 trailer full of stuff up the Alaska Highway last winter, so I decided to kill two birds with one stone and reset the pinion angle while I had the axle out for a rebuild. I originally swapped to the 8.8 when I had the factory leaves with an AAL and extended shackles so when I installed a set of deavers and shackle relocation brackets, I had to use shims to get the angle close enough to live with. Of course, as soon as I start unbolting the axle I notice a fresh set of cracks in the passenger side "frame rail" right at the front edge of the internal bumper supports (the rear bumper ties into the factory hitch mounting points inside the "frame rails"). I saw a very small one in the driver's side about a year ago but fixing it at the time would've meant pulling the fuel tank in the middle of winter in the driveway of the cabin I was then renting. Now that there was a much larger one and since I already had the axle out, I dropped the fuel tank and brought out the little MIG welder.

IMG_0461.jpg

I stop drilled and stitched the crack up with my handy-dandy mig welder (using the cutest little bottle of argon/co2 I rented for the occasion), then welded a piece of 18ga over the area for reinforcement. Ditto for the outside of the "frame rail" and a much smaller crack on the inside of the drivers side. After welding, everything got a coat of primer and rubberized undercoating.

IMG_0464.jpg

Once I got the axle home from the shop, I ingratiated myself with the neighbors by grinding the old spring perches off in the driveway. Then it was just a matter of reinstalling the axle with the new perches just resting on the cleaned up axle tubes and setting the pinion angle parallel to the driveshaft at normal ride height since I am running a double cardan joint at the transfer case. After switching the MIG back to flux core (and finding an outlet in the fiance's garage that would let me turn the amperage up without immediately tripping the breaker) I burned the perches in and buttoned it all back up.

IMG_0465.jpg

There's still a slight vibration from about 45 to 65 so I'm either still off on the pinion angle a tiny bit or need to look harder into the front axle. In any case, the rear end of the jeep feels more solid, there are no 'clunks' when shifting into gear, and its definitely quieter at highway speed, so I call it a win. :smiley_drive:

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
Finished my headliners! Super easy to make and they look good. Cost was right at $100 after I made the mistake of using standard spray tack. I had to get more fabric and use the high temp stuff. I'm sure I could have done it for around $60 with everything included.
IMG_0791_zps75897df5.jpg

Then, I installed a set of OME springs and shocks. These are the 618 and 619 coils. They were used, but I saved a bunch of $$ and they ride softer and don't sag like my stock springs did. I also added a set of Hella 500FF driving lights to the bull bar. It just looked naked without them.
IMG_0776_zpsd836a2c8.jpg

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Minor maintenance this weekend. Oil change, plugs and was going to do the rear diff, but it started raining. Plugs came out after about 10,000 KM looking like they were just put in. Had already bought a new set so I swapped them anyways. My tool box spares are like new now.

Off for a 250 KM drive to Botanical Beach and to check out Avatar Grove here on Vancouver Island. Old Growth Cedar trees as big as they get...ever...anywhere.

On my DD WK, I put on a set of 265/70/17 Hankook ATM rf10 tires and MAN do they look awesome. A bit of rub, so I will get the lift installed this week and do a pinch weld mod as soon as possible. Also ordered a set of Air Lift leveling air bags for the rear coils. Will make towing the trailer so much nicer.

:)

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Set up My bluetooth OBD transmitter and torque pro on my nav tablet. Its an awesome setup that keeps track of ALOT of stuff.

2000LJ

Observer
Built a platform to carry my arb fridge in the back of the 4 door wrangler. Pulled the 40 section of the rear seat out and made space for the fridge along with aux battery/inverter setup.

docwatson

Adventurer
Installed the lift on my XJ. 2.5" all around still have to install the tc drop to get rid of driveline vibes which will be done tomorrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal