What did you do to your Expo Jeep today?

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I paid for it today...

1984 CJ-7 with 52,000 original miles. I got the original sales contract, owners manual, warranty booklet and service records with it too.

image.jpg2_zpsfcfybd9t.jpg

image.jpg3_zpsuzy5wg9k.jpg

image.jpg1_zpsrm3wy3pp.jpg

This will hopefully end up as the tow behind the truck camper rig, with a rack for my Jonboat on it. I am going to try and NOT mod the crap out of this one, mainly because my wife doesn't think I can leave anything alone. Ever. All I have done so far is order a $29 Bikini top for it, and I'm contemplating some soft half doors. I might bolt my KC Daylighters on (late 80s vintage!), but that's about it. It has decent Maxxis MTs on it, and a bunch of fresh electrical parts. It's the 2.5 litre 5 speed trans model, and other than being flat towed all over, it will spend the vast majority of its life with me in low range.

Last edited:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
They work fine, but seem to want to stop there. That and the horn not working are the big "problems". I was actually shopping for a Samurai and had found two good ones and then my brother in law mentioned he was looking for a CJ-5 so I added "CJ" to my search and this popped up. I couldn't resist! :elkgrin:

Lucky j

Explorer
For the wipers, easy to adust. Linkage to to motor is not set wright. Just remove the arms befor cycling for testing.

Lucky j

Explorer
But I'm pretty sure you can set them so they will stop at a lower position. But hey, it is you jeep.

Witch is still nice!

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
If I set them lower, they will "wipe" the windshield frame and then only part of the windshield. Right now they go from side to side as they should, but then when you shut them off, they do another half wipe. There is something more going on than just where they are set on the linkage. I've owned more than 40 4x4s in my life, many of them needed a lot of work. I'm sure I'll be able to sort it out.

It is not at my shop yet so I haven't had a chance to look into it. And thank you, I think it is pretty cool too!

Last edited:

ReconZJ

Observer
Bought a 2015 grand Cherokee with 9k miles yesterday :) [/url]

Nice; which trim line and engine? Pics or it doesn't exist...:D

What is the lowest profile roof rack option for my RTT?

I was looking at the RRO rack system, but looks like the top isn't flat. Does anyone know if a RTT can be mounted on it?
http://www.rocky-road.com/jeep-cherokee-kl-roof-rack.html

The link you provided is for a Cherokee (KL); I don't know whether the Cherokee (KL) and Grand Cherokee (WK2) have the same distance between the frame rails, as the Cherokee is generally smaller.

RRO's website shows a version for the "WK 2005 and up". You should ask RRO if that one will fit a WK2, and if a RTT can be mounted to it.

Oh, and enjoy your new purchase. The WK2 actually performs well off road, and is a pleasure to drive getting there.

To keep this on topic, I began packing my WK2 today as I'm leaving for Grand Slam West in Moab on Tuesday (unfortunately, the ZJ didn't get repaired for this trip).

furbucket

Observer
Bought a 2015 grand Cherokee with 9k miles yesterday :)

What is the lowest profile roof rack option for my RTT?

I was looking at the RRO rack system, but looks like the top isn't flat. Does anyone know if a RTT can be mounted on it?
http://www.rocky-road.com/jeep-cherokee-kl-roof-rack.html

I have the RRO roof rails on my WK2 and they are great
47fc911b528c5c83fb934aeb3182f0fa.jpg

http://www.rocky-road.com/wk2-rails.html

Didn't like their rack system though (it's not flat on top) so I made my own. Uni-strut, expanded metal mesh, some u-bolts - welded it up and even had it powder coated...
4511f2eab9e43731bef5b98c182f1023.jpg

6931073086a33e7badb8874dc0330c5d.jpg

Keeping on topic - the Jeep got new shoes! BFG KO2's 265/65r18 x5
ae6c1c9aa068eb65b1bdf22d7586702a.jpg

Sent from the fridge using Tapatalk

Zeiderman

Adventurer

http://www.rocky-road.com/wk2-rails.html

Didn't like their rack system though (it's not flat on top) so I made my own. Uni-strut, expanded metal mesh, some u-bolts - welded it up and even had it powder coated...
4511f2eab9e43731bef5b98c182f1023.jpg

6931073086a33e7badb8874dc0330c5d.jpg

Keeping on topic - the Jeep got new shoes! BFG KO2's 265/65r18 x5
ae6c1c9aa068eb65b1bdf22d7586702a.jpg

How did you connect the 2 parallel pieces of unistrut to the 2 that are u-bolted? I've been designing one in my head, like your's alot.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

furbucket

Observer
How did you connect the 2 parallel pieces of unistrut to the 2 that are u-bolted? I've been designing one in my head, like your's alot.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Thanks- that back section is all welded together. I'm not a welder- but my buddy who is decided it was the perfect project for me to start learning, good thing I know how to use a grinder... Here's a before pic
5e9a49182111163ebb06308029db7e1c.jpg

brad908

Nice; which trim line and engine? Pics or it doesn't exist...:D

The link you provided is for a Cherokee (KL); I don't know whether the Cherokee (KL) and Grand Cherokee (WK2) have the same distance between the frame rails, as the Cherokee is generally smaller.

RRO's website shows a version for the "WK 2005 and up". You should ask RRO if that one will fit a WK2, and if a RTT can be mounted to it.

Oh, and enjoy your new purchase. The WK2 actually performs well off road, and is a pleasure to drive getting there.

To keep this on topic, I began packing my WK2 today as I'm leaving for Grand Slam West in Moab on Tuesday (unfortunately, the ZJ didn't get repaired for this trip).

Thanks! I will post some pictures up tonight. Thanks for the heads up on the link, I realized after posting I pasted the wrong one but wasn't able to go back and edit.

Thanks for the pics. Which cross rails did you use? Looking for the lowest profile set up possible. I wasn't happy with the way the RTT sat so high on my compass, and it is looking like the GC will be similar profile.

Bullseye240

Adventurer
I paid for it today...

1984 CJ-7 with 52,000 original miles. I got the original sales contract, owners manual, warranty booklet and service records with it too.

image.jpg3_zpsuzy5wg9k.jpg

Not sure if you know this or not, but that mirror is in the wrong position. In it's current position when you put a door on it you won't be able to see it and the door will move it as soon as you open it. You should have to look through the lower corner of the windshield to see it. It also needs the actual mirror to be turned 180 degrees so the pivot is at the bottom. Sorry if you already knew this.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Yeah, I know about the mirrors. It is still at the previous owners house as I can't bring it to my shop until thursday. I took those pics before I owned it, so I haven't done anything to it yet. I will be giving it the full once over, and fix the few little things like mirrors, horn, and wipers as soon as I get it home.

I bought a bikini top for it (it currently has no top or doors) and will probably buy some doors of some sort and possibly a full top at some point. I think I will also limit things to a 2.5" lift and 31" or 32" tires since the whole 105 hp thing is going to be somewhat underwhelming. It should have 4.10 gears, which I will confirm so it will be ok for what I'm after.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shazpete