What did you do to your Expo Jeep today?

F40

Adventurer
Busy busy!

Yep! Had to get the sand moose ready for summer. For some reason the 195 degree Stant Super stat had it running at around 220, burped it some more and released some tension off the serpentine belt as it was a little too tight. Ran at 210 or just under for about 500 miles this weekend, even in 100 degree heat with the AC on. For some reason this 195 opens much later than the vato zone one I had in it previously.

F40

Adventurer
I also discovered a couple driveshaft issues at full droop. The stock rear shaft binds at the slip yoke u-joint, and the front shaft limits droop as its fully compressed at the slip joint in this photo.
20160525_153620_zpsrp3jqhvt.jpg

mtbxj87

Adventurer
I also discovered a couple driveshaft issues at full droop. The stock rear shaft binds at the slip yoke u-joint, and the front shaft limits droop as its fully compressed at the slip joint in this photo.
20160525_153620_zpsrp3jqhvt.jpg

Mine almost does that with the front driveshaft. I might put a shorter one in, I have it. Is the rear shinmmed at all?

F40

Adventurer
Mine almost does that with the front driveshaft. I might put a shorter one in, I have it. Is the rear shinmmed at all?
No shims, pinion angle is OK. 1" tcase drop. SYE is in the works. I just had the front DS rebuilt a few months ago, wish I would've known so I could've had it shortened.

Serg5000

Adventurer
This setup looks great. I too have an SPOD and have been considering doing something similar. Do you have a specific write up that you used? I'm curious how the LED's were wired together and then to the power source.

No write up. It's really not that high tech.
I ran one in front and in the rear. Then i ran one LED on each corner along the chassis directly under the fender well. I then ran one in the middle of the two doors on each side for a total of eight. All the wires were ran inside the frame. When they all can out on the side of the sPod. I soldered the two separate wires colors to one large wire that plugged into the sPod. And that's about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JJS2

'15 JKU Sport-S 2 1/2" Teraflex lift

On Friday (finishing Sat. AM), I installed a 2 1/2" Teraflex coil lift kit. I used the adjustable Rancho (RS9000XL) shocks, which I am still tuning-in. No change to the steering wheel position; no alignment needed. Because the borrowed floor jack was broken, I did this with the Jeep's scissor-jack, another from a previous car, and of course jack stands, while working on the garage floor. Not being particularly strong, I had to use ingenuity rather than force to get the front coils into their pockets. Other than that delay, the install went well.

I was really leaning towards the 2.5 AEV, but I've seen several posts about the Bilstein shocks in their kit having oil leaks. AEV's advertising speaks to their special shocks as an integral element, so I didn't bother approaching them about substitute shocks. Also, the two local 4WD shops I talked with (one affiliated with my dealership - which used to sell AEVs) both said to forget AEV and go with Teraflex. So far, I am pleased, with only on-pavement driving, so far.

brad908

Went and looked at a "used" 2016 Wrangler Unlimited Sport. Asking $29k and 400 miles. Guy bought it for his daughter and returned it after a couple weeks because she didn't want a Wrangler.

I am also considering a 2014 Grand Cherokee Loredo with 4x4. $27k and 19k miles.

We currently have a 2011 FDII Limited Compass with 69k miles. While the Compass has never had any issues in the last 5 years, we did experience over heating on the way back from Yosemite this past weekend. This led to my wife googling around and finding all the issues with the Compass between transmission and suspension. We are thinking of trading it in before we start running into real issues.

We like the styles of both, I prefer the Wrangler and my wife prefers the Grand. What is everyone's opinion here? We don't do anything crazy, just want something more reliable than everything we have read on the Compass. Also considering the Trailhawk Cherokee.

bama jeep 2 by Brad Baldwin Photography, on Flickr

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Went and looked at a "used" 2016 Wrangler Unlimited Sport. Asking $29k and 400 miles. Guy bought it for his daughter and returned it after a couple weeks because she didn't want a Wrangler.

I am also considering a 2014 Grand Cherokee Loredo with 4x4. $27k and 19k miles.

We currently have a 2011 FDII Limited Compass with 69k miles. While the Compass has never had any issues in the last 5 years, we did experience over heating on the way back from Yosemite this past weekend. This led to my wife googling around and finding all the issues with the Compass between transmission and suspension. We are thinking of trading it in before we start running into real issues.

We like the styles of both, I prefer the Wrangler and my wife prefers the Grand. What is everyone's opinion here? We don't do anything crazy, just want something more reliable than everything we have read on the Compass. Also considering the Trailhawk Cherokee.

bama jeep 2 by Brad Baldwin Photography, on Flickr

You like the Wrangler, and your wife likes the Grand Cherokee. I'd recommend a compromise...
Get the Grand Cherokee. :elkgrin:
Hey, happy wife = happy life!

Then add a bit of a lift, some aggressive all terrain tires, some rock sliders - under armor, and a recessed winch.
That will get you into and out of all kinds of fun! :beer:
She chooses the vehicle, and you make sure it is competent for you both to really enjoy.

It is a very competent vehicle, and there is so much of California you can explore. All you'd be missing is a convertible, so make sure to get a moon roof. :)

Just my opinion, which when added to $5 will buy a cup of coffee at a Starbucks.

Zeiderman

Adventurer
X1 for the Wrangler, I'd scratch/dent it and wear it as a badge of honor. Do the same to the GC, and I'd never recover, and you won't get the wave.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Stu2029

Matt Nooblander
Finally got a chance to install my new Summit Series RTT from CVT.
First impressions are great. I'll do a more detailed write up in the RTT section when I've had more time to get hands on with it.

IMG_0027.jpg

XJSuperman

OhIOWAn
Been trying to get my shocks installed. Im painting them first cause I hate white body shocks, but its slow when dodging rain clouds and workdays.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WRL