What did you do to your Expo Jeep today?

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Very nice! R u doing a gear change as well?

Not at the moment. I've been running 33" and am happy with the tire size and the only place where I am hating the current gears is up above 8,000 feet. If I jumped to 35" a gear change to 4.56 would be a must. My wife is only 4'11'' so I really can't get the Jeep any higher than it is right now. I might go to 4.10 but for now I'll maintain the status quo.

Last edited:

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
Family summer vacation, road trip, adventure, whatever you want to call it prep took place last weekend for me. With a roughly 3,000 mile trip nearing, I wanted to completely go through the Jeep, inspecting as much as I could. It may be a bit OCD, but after my experiences with my motorcycles, I felt it necessary to at least do a once over. And in fact, I found a ground that was missing a nut in the engine compartment and the Jeep only has 10k on it. Tires were rotated, pressures, fluids, and electrical connections checked, brakes inspected...I literally spent a complete day with the Jeep looking everything over. A synthetic oil change was performed about 1k miles ago, so I didn't feel it was necessary prior to the trip. It will be changed once I get back.

You may recall my post from last fall, where I discussed spraying Fluid Film on the undercarriage. This stuff provides a barrier for rust and corrosion and I feel its almost a necessity for those of us in the rust belt or those who live near a body of saltwater. I was very surprised when I pulled a wheel off and could tell EXACTLY where I sprayed and didn't spray. I'm grateful for a friend who turned me on to Fluid Film.

Before spraying, I took the power washer to the undercarriage, spraying everything I could. I didn't use any cleaners because I didn't want to remove the film that was left from the last coating. High pressure water did a great job cleaning, and I figured it's how we cleaned vehicles in the Marine Corps, why not my own. It then air dried for several hours. (basically, I sprayed first, then checked the vehicle over, applying Fluid Film last)

One can will do an entire frame, axles and undercarriage but leaves you with nothing left. Having 2 cans on hand probably isn't a bad idea, but I only needed one can each time I coated the Jeep. In the fall, I will do another coat but also spray the floor pans and such from underneath, so two cans will be necessary. I found that several light coats is best, as a thick coat just creates pooling of the film. One more thing; this stuff has a very toxic smell to it so be sure to do it outdoors or in a very well ventilated garage. You can find this stuff at Lowes.

Here are some before and after photos.

After power washing the undercarriage, before coating; Also note the difference in where I was and wasn't able to spray last fall. I didn't pull the wheels/tires off the last time as I did this time and it is very clear to me that I should have.
View attachment 350178

Photobomb!
View attachment 350179

This is a cool pic, I thought
View attachment 350180

After application
View attachment 350181

So is this stuff almost like POR-15 without actually painting the Jeep, more like spraying a WD-40 on steroids on everything?

Knight_vision4u

Ok so I really like the idea of a protected and shiny undercarriage but the OCD side of me (yes I am diagnosed) is concerned about dust and dirt sticking sticking to the film. What if any experience do you have with that. Please and Thankyou.

siebermd

Adventurer
I finally got around to installing my Or-Fab Rotopax tire carrier. Very cool piece of kit. The toughest part of the job was getting the bushings and washers to cooperate on the hinge. Lol..

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Weeds

Adventurer
I have already sprayed my jeep. When I replaced the rear sway bar, all the threads on the exposed portion of the bolts were almost totally rusted away. WSDOT is using liquid de-icer almost exclusively, no more sand. I will take dust and dirt over rust.

My bumpers are having a similar problem. Powder coating cannot standup to this stuff. It appears Linex can withstand the de-icer.

jeepin_idaho

Adventurer
Maintenance day! One of my axle seals was FUBAR.
8d473693af0eb1bed497474f8ee26f57.jpg

I was glad to have access to a 12 ton hydraulic press to get this all off and the new ones pressed back on.

ccdd082099ffd01dbfd201929935040c.jpg

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
attachment.php

The tub, title, and Vin's make it a 1984 4x4. I am still undecided how much love this is going to get, but this weekend I plan to get her ready to pass an inspection.

I just brought home a 1984 CJ7 that I thought was too rusty. I stand corrected! Yours is still totally worth fixing in my opinion, but my frames just had some scaling on it. I had mine inspected on Thursday and it passed with flying colors! (It REALLY helps knowing where to take it... My inspector didn't even turn on the key to check lights and wipers, since I have taken things there before and he I guess he trusts me???)

GetOutThere

Adventurer
I just brought home a 1984 CJ7 that I thought was too rusty. I stand corrected! Yours is still totally worth fixing in my opinion, but my frames just had some scaling on it. I had mine inspected on Thursday and it passed with flying colors! (It REALLY helps knowing where to take it... My inspector didn't even turn on the key to check lights and wipers, since I have taken things there before and he I guess he trusts me???)

Parts of my 2012 JK are rustier than that...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WRL