What do I do?! Build on this 4runner or find a lower mileage one

dm88

So as a side gig i buy cars at dealer auctions and sell them.

I recently picked up an 04 4runner with 196k and was planning on selling it for a little profit (over paid a little for it) and then buying a lower mileage 4th gen to build up as my overlander.

When I picked it up i started to inspect it and noticed that it pretty much has the cleanest frame and body I have ever seen on a 4th gen. not to mention any car with 200k. Not a single rust spot. Very little paint chips on the front. Like surprisingly little.

The engine bay is just as clean as the rest. I cant imagine finding something this clean. So my question is...

Should I just ignore the miles (I know these go a lot more than 200k) and build or should I find something with closer to 100k for peace of mind?

What would you do?

JLee

Adventurer
I just bought an 05 GX with 179k on it, so you can guess my answer. :p A properly maintained 2uz will run for a long, long time.

If you do keep it, get some splash guards from Rad Rubber and cover up that engine! The OEM shields disintegrated on my GX as well.

Dblack

Observer
I'm with you on this question. Personally this is what I'm looking to do as well. Find an older stock 4Runner and start from scratch.

dm88

I just bought an 05 GX with 179k on it, so you can guess my answer. :p A properly maintained 2uz will run for a long, long time.

If you do keep it, get some splash guards from Rad Rubber and cover up that engine! The OEM shields disintegrated on my GX as well.

What are you planning on doing with your GX? Long trips?

Being in Utah I plan on doing a lot of long trips south through UT, CO, WY and MT.
I think the parent in me just overthinks things sometimes.

Arktikos

Explorer
Is that a Florida plate? Amazingly clean truck. I would keep that one, go through maintenance items, and drive it as is without changing a thing.

jpachard

Adventurer
I'll echo what others have said. If it were me I'd run a compression and leakdown on the engine so you know if it's healthy. Based on those results, keep this one and mod to your hearts' content. If the leakdown and compression aren't in spec, you can address as needed.

That looks like a very well kept and maintained example.

Cheers, James

MamboSA

Observer
Looks super clean.
If the outside looks like that one would assume that the motor has been maintained just as well.

I would keep it, give it a good service and maybe look at replacing any worn/less than pristine bushings and hoses and off you go.

Having said that, I have no real experience with the vehicle - we don't get them here in South Africa, closest we get is a Fortuner, which I have....

Here is a pic:
IMG_0499.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Looks like a CA car. My 05 Sequoia is just as clean on the bottom side. Does that one need timing belts and such? If so do em soon. Change out all the fluids gearrboxes diffs etc.

Side note. Good friend had that same model v8 had tottal failure of the ABS module resulting in zero brakes. The part cost and labor resulted in trading it in at 180,000. He wasnt too happy. Maybe one of those things to just note and be aware of.

dm88

Is that a Florida plate? Amazingly clean truck. I would keep that one, go through maintenance items, and drive it as is without changing a thing.

The florida plate is just my dealer plate. I haven't gotten the title yet but I'm willing to bet its from the southwest somewhere.

Looks super clean.
If the outside looks like that one would assume that the motor has been maintained just as well.

I would keep it, give it a good service and maybe look at replacing any worn/less than pristine bushings and hoses and off you go.

Having said that, I have no real experience with the vehicle - we don't get them here in South Africa, closest we get is a Fortuner, which I have....

Here is a pic:
View attachment 390516

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOVE Fortuners! I was living in Guatemala when they came out. My parents didnt get one because my mom thought it was too 'trucky'... no such thing in my mind lol

Looks like a CA car. My 05 Sequoia is just as clean on the bottom side. Does that one need timing belts and such? If so do em soon. Change out all the fluids gearrboxes diffs etc.

Side note. Good friend had that same model v8 had tottal failure of the ABS module resulting in zero brakes. The part cost and labor resulted in trading it in at 180,000. He wasnt too happy. Maybe one of those things to just note and be aware of.

I guess Im just tainted by these Utah vehicles.. haven't see a clean underside in a long time....
Ill probably swap the t-belt anyway just for piece of mind and to get inside myself.

Does look like it has a brand new brake cylinder. and my las 4th gen has ABS module problems. They're pretty common on these but old enough to get used parts for reasonable prices.

dm88

I'll echo what others have said. If it were me I'd run a compression and leakdown on the engine so you know if it's healthy. Based on those results, keep this one and mod to your hearts' content. If the leakdown and compression aren't in spec, you can address as needed.

That looks like a very well kept and maintained example.

Cheers, James

That seems to be the consensus. Its a keeper!

onemanarmy

Explorer

Not much to ad, except this drives me nuts. The automaker's are making things overly complicated and expensive, and engineering obsolescence into cars.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

JLee

Adventurer
The florida plate is just my dealer plate. I haven't gotten the title yet but I'm willing to bet its from the southwest somewhere.

LOVE Fortuners! I was living in Guatemala when they came out. My parents didnt get one because my mom thought it was too 'trucky'... no such thing in my mind lol

I guess Im just tainted by these Utah vehicles.. haven't see a clean underside in a long time....
Ill probably swap the t-belt anyway just for piece of mind and to get inside myself.

Does look like it has a brand new brake cylinder. and my las 4th gen has ABS module problems. They're pretty common on these but old enough to get used parts for reasonable prices.

I've also seen brake booster failure (on ih8mud) and while looking into that, found that a new part was something ridiculous (~$1800) but there's also a rebuild kit for about 50 bucks.

What are you planning on doing with your GX? Long trips?

Being in Utah I plan on doing a lot of long trips south through UT, CO, WY and MT.
I think the parent in me just overthinks things sometimes.

This was my last trip: www.squashingrocks.com/trip-reports/arizona-and-new-mexico/

But yes - my ultimate goal is long trips (cross-country stuff) and eventually the Pan-American, though I'm unsure what vehicle I will have by then. I'm not sure a GX has done it yet, so that could be a fun first. :)

Toyojay

YES! A 4x4 2UZ model with only 200k on it? It has a lot of life left, espescially with that age. Any clue as to how recently the timing belt was done? Thats the only major service to worry about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz