What kinda highway MPG's you getting with your full sized rig?

duneyeti9

Don't know if it will help you comparison wise, but I got a 6.7 powerstroke F350 and it gets 20mpg empty and 13-14 with a loaded Lance 835 (depending on the wind). I drive fast and pass a lot, just cause I can, BTW the mileage computer is within .5mpg of hand calculated every time I've checked it so I don't bother to check it anymore. Only got 10,000 miles on the truck so it's still kinda tight, might improve as it gets broke in.

Yellowkayak

Adventurer
2007 Chevy Crew cab 4.8 Ltr with a camper shell on back, storage unti in bed. I get 21 - 23 on highway depending on if I get a headwind or a tail wind. In town I get 15.6 - 16.7 MPG depending on how hard I have to drive to pass some of these bad drivers in town to get around and away from them. Towing a 3800 pound popup with two people and two Hobie Adventure kayaks on the roof of my truck and all our gear....about 15.8 MPG.....I've gotten as bad as 11MPG with a 40 PMH headwind...bad and scary trip for sure.

JJ

cowboy63645

Adventurer
In my 1994 suburban (350 tbi and 4L60E tranny, 3.73 gears on 265/75/16 tires) I average 13 mpg running 70-75 mph. Around town and on short highway runs I will see an average of 10 mpg. Granted the last time I figured these nbumbers I had an O2 sensor going out and I have a bad IAC, but I am hoping to start getting a little better mpg with the recent tune up, new O2 and IAC.

Magnum Johnson

Observer
Cant say much yet because my truck is still pretty new to me but I see about 21 hwy unloaded and 12-13 in town. Hope to get some more MPG's with some smaller tires.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Just a thought here, but all you guys who are responding without telling us what year, make, model and mods you have... Why bother? It means nothing without that info!

:)

Last edited:

MedicalCowboy

Adventurer
Oh goodness someone is moody (red) lol 2002 Chevrolet Tahoe LT, ventshades, bug deflector, ranch hand bull nose front bumper, roof rack, stock wheels with 265 A/T tires. 5.3L engine with cold air intake and custome exhaust. I don't think the other mods would effect the gas mileage lol Is there enough info???

darien

Observer
15 - 17 in my Ford 6.0, stock lift and 32's. But then I don't do any heavy hauling. Off road driving doesn't seem to hurt the average a bit.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Don’t know if it will help you comparison wise, but I got a 6.7 powerstroke F350 and it gets 20mpg empty and 13-14 with a loaded Lance 835 (depending on the wind).

That sounds like that 6.7L is capable of the MPG Ford was claiming it would get. Nice.

DGarman

What could go wrong?
'79 Ford Bronco with a carbureted 400, Np435 trans (non-OD), 4.56 gears, and 35-12.50-15 BFG ATs.

9 to 9.5 mpg all-around (10 to 10.5 mpg if it's level highway).

I hauled a car trailer with a '46 Mercury on it (5500# total) from Washington to SoCal (1100 miles) and it only (!?!) dropped to 8 mpg.

With the gearing and no overdrive it runs about 2900 rpm at 65 mph, so that's about the fastest I hold it at.

Dennis

Last edited:

pulltilbroke

Adventurer
My 90 Dodge W250 with lots of go fast mods and 4" lift gets about 16-18 mixed driving, On the highway cruising 70 it gets about 18-19 if I slow it down to 60-65 it gets 21. I hauled a 93 W350 ex cab dually back from Western South Dakota and it got 10.5-11 going 70 through the hills that was weighing in at about 21,000 total and on winter blend fuel

My 93 ext cab dually 4x4 gets 18 - 21 on a consistent basis on winter blend fuel, It wouldnt surprise me if it jumped up a few MPG's this summer. usual wet weight on it is about 7500lbs. I havn't had a chance to check mileage on it with a good load.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Oh goodness someone is moody (red) lol

That's what my wife keeps saying too... I must not have had enough coffee:). I just figure we oughta know what is getting the good, bad, and ugly mileage!

My 99 Dodge 1500 reg cab with 5.9 gasser and auto with 285/75-17s gets 10-13 depending on how hard I push on the pedal. It is know someone else's guzzler. I will introduce the new rig (along with mileage info from the trip home) some time early next week!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven