What size winch?

wapitichaser

What size winches are people running on their full-size truck camper rigs? I used to be huge into Rockcrawling, but have since retired from that and enjoy camping with my family while flyfishing, ATVing and bowhunting here in Colorado. I have a 2000 Ram 2500 with a flatbed and a 2600lb. hardside truck camper and have been thinking I need to get a winch for the unforseen weather here in CO (snow, rain and relentless mud when it does rain). Truck and camper weigh about 9900lb. I was thinking a 12k winch wouldbe okay with a snatch block, but maybe a 15k winch would be better?

Any suggestions on size and brand? I always ran warn, but I think you end up paying for the name. Definitely will run rope and not cable.

Thanks in advance.

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
well the general rule of thumb is 1.5-2 times the weight of your truck. remember though that the winch rating is only for the first wrap on the drum and every wrap after that is less and less, but adding a snatch block is a huge help.

Capt Eddie

Adventurer
I had this same question for a F450 flatbed with a hardside Lance camper. I settled on a 12000 with a snatch block. The 15k and 16k only came with 90 feet of cable. The 12k had 130 I think. The differance was big. I think the longer cable gives me more options as well as longer reach. I know you will run rope, I do not know if the spools are the same size. If they are then go with the 16k and max rope length.

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
I agree that you should go with the larger winch, and for extra line length, you can buy a winch line extension, or whatever tyhey are calling them now.
Solves the issue of not having enough length to reach that tree or rock to anchor. ;)

1976K5Chalet

Observer
The 1.5 times the weight of the vehicle is a true statement. If it was me i'd go large and buy the biggest they make which i think is a Warn 16k if memory serves correctly. Mud and such equate to what we call in the army the mire factor of a stuck vehicle. That is where snatch blocks come into play to double the rating of the winches ability to pull. As far as no place to winch from....dig a hole....insert spare tire with a lug wrench inside the wheel and attach a small recovery strap to it to give you a viable land anchor. Pull pal is another way to go for the same results. Also carry several snatch blocks rated at or above the winches rating...same for chains so you are prepared.

DW

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
My opinion....

I don't think you need or want a 16k winch hanging off the front of your truck, or the back for that matter. I feel in far too many cases people overbuild, overbuy, and over carry stuff in there expedition vehicles. Very rarely if at all you are going to need 1.5 times your vehicle weight in pulling power. You have to remember that you are not lifting your entire vehicle. Yes, if your stuck in deep mud or deep snow you can get yourself in some trouble. But this is where a smart head and a strong back come into play. More than likely you are going to need to get out the shovel and dig a bit to loosen things up.

I think for a full size truck a 10K winch is more than enough.

I remember reading an article where they attached a load meter while winching and doing recovery on various vehicles. Very rarely did the strain guage even approach half the capacity of the winch.

I think your better off playing it smart and purchasing a few snatch blocks. This can allow you to double or even triple your pulling force for that rare situation. You can also use these same blocks for setting up a variety of very useful rigging situations like setting up a trolley to prevent you from sliding sideways on a hill or off the edge of the road.

In all honesty unless you are very prepared and experienced off road, you might be better off mounting the winch in the rear and pulling backwards 99% of the time. With a heavy expedition vehicle most of the time if you get stuck going forwards and NEED a winch extraction you are going to be better off finding an alternate route. If you get stuck and have to winch forward the chances are you are going to need to winch again and again.

One last thing....

One of the most innovative setups I have seen is the Vector winch system on the IBEX vehicles from GB. They have a mid mounted winch behind the front seats under the body. The line is run through two pulleys at the rear then back to the front of the car along one of the frame rails. This allows you to have a pre-set double line pull to the rear with the end of the line fixed at the front, or a single line pull to the front ( or rigging a double line manually ).

Here is the patent.

http://patents.ic.gc.ca/cipo/cpd/en/patent/2307601/summary.html

bad pictures....

http://www.ebroadcast.com.au/ecars/Foers/Winch.html

I know the IBEX runs a reinforced frame to keep everything true. It has problems, like you can't see the winch drum, the drag if you want to pull line out the front is challenging, etc.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
With all due respect, a 10K winch won't last long pulling a 9900# truck. I'd recommend a larger unit just because the motor, gear box, brake, cable and housing are going to last longer. The infrequent pulley block pull will increase the pull rating but will do it at half the speed, twice the time and more heat. You can't just evaluate the need of a winch at it's rated pull capacity. Winches are much like welders or other high amp electrical devices, DUTY CYCLE !
And how much weight are you going to save? Yes a 16K unit weighs more than a 10K unit. By the time you add the cost and weight of multiple shackles, pulleys and extensions, you won't save a whole lot. And time? That's a consideration, it's important. It will take time to rig all this and then break it down.
If you're sizing and buying a winch for a once every year or so extraction, you probably don't need one anyway.
Jason T.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
If weight is a concern, install a synthetic winch line. That will save around 40lbs.

Chas Stricker

Adventurer
My choice would be a hydraulic winch. I'm sure there are lots of opinions for and against. I've always used hydraulics and they can be used for 100% duty without failure or reving the engine. Just a thought,
Chas

762X39

Explorer
It's funny this question should come up just as I am making a decision to equip my Mog (9000lbs wet) with a winch.
Looks like I will equip with a rear mounted 16k winch (24volt) and here is why.
The times I have been stuck were because I made a poor choice going forward and really needed to back up and choose a better route.
The current draw of a 16K winch while loaded by my vehicle is lower than a 12K winch on the same pull ( the 16K was ticking over idle while the 12 was working overtime for its supper).
Duty cycle for both electric motors is the same.
I have always carried several snatch blocks, half a dozen shackles and at least 3 extensions giving me an extra 40 metres of reach no matter who or what is trying to help me out (just because I didn't have a winch was no reason to be unprepared).
I am in the fortunate position of not having to worry about hauling 200 extra kilos of recovery equipment or the current draw imposed by a winch.
Go bigger than you think you need, carry more bits and wheel smarter so you don't need any of it!

Attachments

• Tom and I at US invasion 2004.jpg
    Tom and I at US invasion 2004.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Most full size trucks don't weigh 9,900lbs. Even my big old dodge even with the Cummins is only like 6500. Outfitted maybe 7500.

I don't agree that a 16K winch is the answer. I can see that causing more harm then good in most situations. I can't really imagine a front mounted winch bumper that would be strong enough for that kind of pull without adding a good deal of weight to the truck. Perhaps something in the back mounted directly to the frame or something. Spreading out 16-31K worth of pull is going to be really really hard.

I agree that the duty cycle on the 16k might be better than the 10K, but your also going to have to take into account the capacity of the electrical system. How many current pick-ups can support that much draw. I think with a winch that big your running into shaft driven PTO or PTO hydraulic territory.

I also see a lot of people mentioning speed. How dang fast do you need recovered anyways?? Speed is nice, but a lot of time its just as nice to have fine control when things get a little hairy. Just because your hooked to a line doesn't mean your not going to get yourself into worse trouble or even roll.

Sure, we can all dream up the most elaborate and expensive dream winch systems, but when it comes down to it, a simple well installed winch that isn't a 16k or even 12k will do just fine with a little patience.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
I have a front-mounted winch. 80%+ the time I have needed rear recovery. I'm glad I'm not the only one bringing this up.

Capt Eddie

Adventurer
Another issue comes to mind with the weight of the winch itself. I have the 12k on a mounting system that lets me put the winch in front or back of the truck. I think being able to pick up the winch and move it is more important. I agree that most times you will want to winch out of a hole instead of thru it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy