What Toyota truck for Box Camper build?

rruff

Explorer
I want to build a small and light camper for family use, preferably on a Toyota platform. It would mostly be something small to get outside in more often, not something we'd wheel hard or take overseas. I have experience with TIG welding, composite layups, CAD and FEA, so the 'box' part of the build seems a fun project.

Kids... how many, and age? Does your wife care about amenities? How far from home will you typically be traveling? Pop-up or no?

I paid $31.2k OTD for my Tundra, new. My assessment at the time was that used ones held their value so well it made little sense to buy used. If you plan on keeping it a long time, I still think this is true. And for that reason and since you want something smallish, I'd look at 2022 Tacomas... double cab, long bed. Get a lowly model and upgrade to taste. The new Tundras seem to be having lots of "first year" issues, the rear axle is not very beefy (unlike the 2-2.5 gen), and there is currently little aftermarket. Think I'd lean towards a F150 with 2.7 or 5.0 and the payload package before a 2022 Tundra.

Pretty sure the ATerra weighs a lot more than 600lbs... maybe that's just the shell? At any rate you are going to be way over GVWR on any of these Toyotas once everything is included.

Speaking of composite layups... I'm doing (the shell is actually done now) fiberglass and carbon over PVC foam, and I really hate all the sanding! The dust is nasty and gets everywhere. I'm not picky about cosmetics, so I didn't think there'd be a lot... but I was wrong. If I did it over I'd try making the structural part of the shell out of curved pieces of marine ply, stitch and glue style. Add insulation inside and let it breathe... no moisture rot worries.

Reactions: bkg

sn_85

Observer
A new Tundra would run another 40k and still need tires and suspension upgrade to do what you it to.

That's very true. When I started to look into HD trucks I started to look into AEV catalog for Ram HD's. Then started looking into larger campers and optioning them out. Definitely went down the rabbit hole and snowballed!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
havanother