What Tundra do you recommend?

profarm

I currently, have a '97 Tacoma 4WD which I love. It's my daily deive and everything vehicle. But, I've decided that I want to get another truck and figured that I would get something bigger, so I decided on a Tundra. I think that the first gen Tundras are big enough for me . I don't know much about Tundras and wondering what years of the first gens you guys recommend? I'm thinking that I want to get a 4WD limited, which my understanding is only offered in a double cab.

bkg

Explorer
4wd Limited was also offered in access cab. Many had the odd stepside bed.
Limited models are also different depending on the part of the country you are in. Many in the limiteds do not have leather seats.
Personal preference (having owned 4 1st gens and 1st gen Sequoia) is 05/06 Limited. If you can find one with the factory nav, it seems to be fairly rare. I've only seen 1.

Last edited:

cr500taco

Adventurer
I currently, have a '97 Tacoma 4WD which I love. It's my daily deive and everything vehicle. But, I've decided that I want to get another truck and figured that I would get something bigger, so I decided on a Tundra. I think that the first gen Tundras are big enough for me . I don't know much about Tundras and wondering what years of the first gens you guys recommend? I'm thinking that I want to get a 4WD limited, which my understanding is only offered in a double cab.
That's funny , this is my question as well. I have the same year Tacoma and it's my daily and camping truck.

Lemmy

05-06 got the 5 speed Transmission and VVTI which supposedly gives extra power. I gave up looking for a limited and am very happy with my SR5. LSD rear was an option that the original owner spec’s when he ordered along with the factory tow package.
Love my 06 and with 115K on it I plan on keeping it for a long time.
Service wise look for timing belt replacement and lower ball joints both should be done every 90-100K.
RB

Lemmy

Also read up on the frame replacement earlier Tundras had issues with frames rusting IIRC issue was fixed as of 04 maybe someone else can chime in on this.

bkg

Explorer
Also read up on the frame replacement earlier Tundras had issues with frames rusting IIRC issue was fixed as of 04 maybe someone else can chime in on this.
Nope… wasn't really “fixed.”

Best bet is to acquire a truck from the south.

Last edited:

Kpack

Adventurer
Definitely not fixed. Still there on the 05-06. If I apply Fluid Film in the Fall then I have zero problems. But I got lazy the past 2-3 years and now I have surface rust all over the frame again. Now I get to go back under, clean it all off, repaint, and then do Fluid Film.

Like was said, 05-06 have a 5-speed trans vs 4-speed for earlier years. Double cab is 04-06. The bed is also deeper on double cabs, if that matters to you. Turning radius is not great....I do many multi-point turns on the trails. Normal maintenance needs to be done....ball joints and timing belt are the two critical items. Engine and transmission are a pretty bulletproof combination.

Reactions: bkg

beef tits

The 5.7 is a much more powerful/better motor, but the 07+ tundras are behemoths. All years of Tundras until 2019 or so were available in a 8' long bed which is nice if you want a real truck.

rruff

Explorer
^^^ Gen 2 (07-21) Tundras have a smaller turning radius than Gen 1 though... by a good amount... and it's less than any domestic full size. You can even get Gen 2 with a double cab and 8' bed... ;)

I jacked the following dimensional comparison from a Tundra site. I think it would have been a better comparison with the shorter rear cab and longer bed model for the 2nd Gen, but oh well. Not a big difference, really... and there is more of a difference in interior space than external dimensions. The lower hood on the 1st Gen would be the main advantage... and if they really have 11.9" ground clearance that is crazy good! I don't know how that is even possible unless it's something going on with the diff.

1st gen specs: 4D
Turning radius 23.5'
Front hiproom 59.7"
Front legroom 41.6"
Front shoulder room 62.1"
Front headroom 41.2"
Wheelbase 140.5"
Curb weight 4,965 lbs.
Pickup bed depth 20.7"
Ground clearance (min.) 11.9"
Front tread 65.9"
Rear tread 67.3"
Rear shoulder room 62.2"
Rear headroom 40.2"
Rear legroom 37.5"
Rear hiproom 58.3"
Exterior height 74.4"
Exterior cargo maximum width 63.3 "
Exterior cargo width 49.3"
Exterior cargo length 74.3"
Exterior body width 79.7"
Exterior length 230.1"

2nd gen specs: CC
Turning radius 22.0'
Front hiproom 63.0"
Front legroom 42.5"
Front shoulder room 66.6"
Front headroom 40.2"
Wheelbase 145.7"
Curb weight 5,645 lbs.
Pickup bed depth 22.2"
Front tread 67.9"
Rear tread 67.9"
Ground clearance (min.) 10.4"
Rear headroom 38.7"
Rear shoulder room 65.4"
Rear legroom 44.5"
Rear hiproom 62.6"
Exterior height 76.0"
Exterior cargo maximum width 66.4 "
Exterior cargo width 50.0"
Exterior cargo length 66.7"
Exterior body width 79.9"
Exterior length 228.7"

Kpack

Adventurer
The 5.7 is a much more powerful/better motor, but the 07+ tundras are behemoths. All years of Tundras until 2019 or so were available in a 8' long bed which is nice if you want a real truck.
The 5.7 is great. The 4.7 is an excellent motor and super reliable, but lacks in the power department. Dimensions on the 1st and 2nd gen are comparable, but the 1st gen is easier to see out of. When I drive my wife's '19 Sequoia the hood makes front visibility difficult. The hood on the 1st gen may as well not even be there....I hardly ever notice it.

If I were to have to replace my '05 now, I would be torn between another 1st gen and a 2nd gen. Tough call.

rruff

Explorer
When I drive my wife's '19 Sequoia the hood makes front visibility difficult.
Sadly this is true of everything made now... actually it's even worse. All the midsize trucks now have tall hoods as well. The 2nd gen Tundras at least have short hoods, though they are quite tall.

Guess we just need to install forward cameras to see where we are going on the trail...

Kpack

Adventurer
Guess we just need to install forward cameras to see where we are going on the trail...
I installed one on my 1st gen....I don't need it at all for most things on the trail, but it is nice to have when coming up over a steep rise with a drop on the other side. Can't see anything with the nose of the truck pointed at the sky. The camera tells me where the trail is in those situations.

86scotty

Cynic
Not being a Toyota diehard the best truck hands down I ever owned was a 2012 Tundra Crewmax Platinum. 2012 was the last year of the sliding/fold down/reclining rear seat. I don't spend time on Toy forums but I don't hear very many people talk about this. It's worlds better IMO than the fold up bottom that followed it.

It was a big truck but didn't drive big. Towed anything I ever tried to tow with ease, got about 17 unladen which I thought was great for such a powerful V8, never needed any maintenance ever (I did one front CV maybe in my ownership?), and last but not least had a sunroof and the rear power window.

Just to be clear I could care less about a sunroof in a truck but when you pair it with the power rear window, which I always kept down in fair weather, it was a wonderful way to drive.

Unfortunately not many truck campers work with a Tundra Crewmax and if you add any cap you lose the rear window benefit. Still a great truck.

SP by E A, on Flickr

dierkz

^^^ Gen 2 (07-21) Tundras have a smaller turning radius than Gen 1 though... by a good amount... and it's less than any domestic full size. You can even get Gen 2 with a double cab and 8' bed... ;)

I jacked the following dimensional comparison from a Tundra site. I think it would have been a better comparison with the shorter rear cab and longer bed model for the 2nd Gen, but oh well. Not a big difference, really... and there is more of a difference in interior space than external dimensions. The lower hood on the 1st Gen would be the main advantage... and if they really have 11.9" ground clearance that is crazy good! I don't know how that is even possible unless it's something going on with the diff.

1st gen specs: 4D
Turning radius 23.5'
Front hiproom 59.7"
Front legroom 41.6"
Front shoulder room 62.1"
Front headroom 41.2"
Wheelbase 140.5"
Curb weight 4,965 lbs.
Pickup bed depth 20.7"
Ground clearance (min.) 11.9"
Front tread 65.9"
Rear tread 67.3"
Rear shoulder room 62.2"
Rear headroom 40.2"
Rear legroom 37.5"
Rear hiproom 58.3"
Exterior height 74.4"
Exterior cargo maximum width 63.3 "
Exterior cargo width 49.3"
Exterior cargo length 74.3"
Exterior body width 79.7"
Exterior length 230.1"

2nd gen specs: CC
Turning radius 22.0'
Front hiproom 63.0"
Front legroom 42.5"
Front shoulder room 66.6"
Front headroom 40.2"
Wheelbase 145.7"
Curb weight 5,645 lbs.
Pickup bed depth 22.2"
Front tread 67.9"
Rear tread 67.9"
Ground clearance (min.) 10.4"
Rear headroom 38.7"
Rear shoulder room 65.4"
Rear legroom 44.5"
Rear hiproom 62.6"
Exterior height 76.0"
Exterior cargo maximum width 66.4 "
Exterior cargo width 50.0"
Exterior cargo length 66.7"
Exterior body width 79.9"
Exterior length 228.7"
A buddy of mine recently upgraded to 2011 double cab and very like the better space than the Taco. Installed Cooper tires, XD778 xd wheels, and brake pads last month and took it for a camping. He still adjusting to the new turning radius.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk