What would you buy for $40k?

Accrete

Explorer
...I'm also a big fan of the simplicity...maybe we can go this route to get setup for an initial trip and then decide what all we really need...!
I think that basic concept (beta testing an interior) is underrated. We had a blast dreaming/tweaking/modding-again and camping all the while.

( : + everything 86cj said : )

Thom

markley

Observer
I think that basic concept (beta testing an interior) is underrated. We had a blast dreaming/tweaking/modding-again and camping all the while.

( : + everything 86cj said : )

Thom

Yeah, I really think that this is the approach we will take. Last summer we rented a Dodge Caravan from escape campervans and explored the southern sierra for two weeks and absolutely loved it. It was a very basic (and small) setup...seats folded into bed in the middle, and had a sink, slide out stove, and fridge in the back hatch. Being able to wake up, cook breakfast, and continue down the road was great! We also did a few 2 night backpack trips, and the fridge was able to stay running and cold while not draining the battery. The only real downside to this van was the inability to stand up inside....also, a hot shower would have been nice (and toilet for the mrs.). That trip really got us interested in the idea to buy a van and convert to a camper.

I wish that there were reasonable rentals for larger camper vans (ie. roadtrek or sprinter) so that we can get a feel for the size/layout, but just can't seem to justify spending $500 a day for a rental. Heck a 2 week trip at this rate would be a nice downpayment on a van.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Check out the sportsmobile website. They have a section of preowned rigs at each of their locations. I saw a pretty nice looking one for 40k... But it was the 5.4L V8. Not a bad engine at all but definitely not the V10 of 7.3L.

Also, I've used http://www.searchcraigslist.org/ to search all of the craigslist pages...kind of works. I hate that CL wont give you a search all function.

Check out the sportsmobile website. They have a section of preowned rigs at each of their locations. I saw a pretty nice looking one for 40k... But it was the 5.4L V8. Not a bad engine at all but definitely not the V10 of 7.3L.

Also, I've used http://www.searchcraigslist.org/ to search all of the craigslist pages...kind of works. I hate that CL wont give you a search all function.

I use searchtempest.com. I like the interface of it a little better. They both do the job though. It's how I found my van in Cali with the rss alerts.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I use searchtempest.com. I like the interface of it a little better. They both do the job though. It's how I found my van in Cali with the rss alerts.

I wasn't aware of the one thanks for the link.

Does anyone else find it strange that Cl wont let you search within "x" amount of miles of your zip?

dazdconfsd

Observer
I wasn't aware of the one thanks for the link.

Does anyone else find it strange that Cl wont let you search within "x" amount of miles of your zip?

They actually do. It's under the options menu just below 'include nearby areas' They do not have a function to allow nation wide searches.

Iron Mike2

They actually do. It's under the options menu just below 'include nearby areas' They do not have a function to allow nation wide searches.

I use the nearby areas every time, but I still would like to go further out than 200 miles or have to keep selecting more nearby areas. But it's a free site so I shouldn't complain.

Iron Mike2

I use the nearby areas every time, but I still would like to go further out than 200 miles or have to keep selecting more nearby areas. But it's a free site so I shouldn't complain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater