What's my First Love going to be? Land Cruiser or Land Rover?

zimm

Expedition Leader
you guys are pathetic, this young buck need saved or hes doomed to be like the rest of ya.

ok grashopper... youre 17 and you want a truck? no matter what you wrote, i know you want chicks, and i know you dream of popularity.

step one... get a windowless van. and find out who is remodeling thier house, you need some free carpet and padding...

jknobler

Observer
yeaaaah....I'm not so sure the windowless van is going to get the chicks these days...

Yeah... it's not.... I promise you this much. Take my word for it, this is my generation.

I really do like the idea of a Cruiser though.... not really a chick magnet. But if a girl gets in I know she really likes me for me, and not for my ride.
Or she's stuck in the rain and he car broke down....

zimm

Expedition Leader
yeaaaah....I'm not so sure the windowless van is going to get the chicks these days...

Yeah... it's not.... I promise you this much. Take my word for it, this is my generation.

I really do like the idea of a Cruiser though.... not really a chick magnet. But if a girl gets in I know she really likes me for me, and not for my ride.
Or she's stuck in the rain and he car broke down....

please. youre buying a cruiser because you think it looks cool and that i'll rub off. you think it'll say money. what youre going to have is a car you cant do anything exciting with, that costs a fortune to drive, and sucks up what little cash you have left to actually go out and have fun. cruisers and land rovers have the same personality trait. they were born young, pretty, expensive snobs, and like young, pretty expensive snobs, as they get older and their parts wear out, they require expensive upgrades and replacements. all the fun was by the one that got her in her youth, all costs are footed buy the men that accept the used up ol wench in their home after the divorce. .

what do girls want? girls ultimately, just wanna have fun.

so how is van fun?

first.. it has to be an old van. a good patina helps. make it color too. sky blue, red, green... just dont make it work truck white, because then you have to paint the canvas. but unless your exude strength and self assurance, painting the van is a bold move. i dont think its you.
an old van has been places.
an old van has done things.
an old van had a sense of accomplishment and mystery.
an old van has all the personality that excites women, and at 17, you currently lack. it'll give you an instant air of suspicion.... what that knobler fella up to, with a . . . van... what he doing in there? whats his motive? where does he go?

will some sneer at the old van... yes... if youre not already cool, everyone will. but stand your ground. its not the vans fault. the van is mr. miagi, and youre kid macchio.

soon there will be a party, or a ski trip, surf trip, or a camping trip.... then you strike.

the old van can carry the keg, or hide the weed smoke, if thats what you like.
the old van can pack the gear and load the roof.
the old van is a nice secure place to sleep, and chicks like secure places to sleep.
an old van is transportation, a party on the move, a house on the run.

the next thing you know, you'll be central to everyones plans. gathering in the woods? someone call ol' knobler. road trip to different college? ol' knobler can accommodate. yep, the van will faithfully serve and you can reap the benefits.

the kinky chick that makes youth fun and brings a smile to your face 40 years later? she like to do all those things. she ends up dating the van guy.

young knobler, the ugliest guys have girlfriends. shy insecure guys dont. i know this, because with my face, i couldnt afford to be shy.

take my word for it.

Last edited:

jknobler

Observer

an old van has all the personality that excites women, and at 17, you currently lack. it'll give you an instant air of suspicion.... what that knobler fella up to, with a . . . van... what he doing in there? whats his motive? where does he go?

will some sneer at the old van... yes... if youre not already cool, everyone will. but stand your ground. its not the vans fault. the van is mr. miagi, and youre kid macchio.

soon there will be a party, or a ski trip, surf trip, or a camping trip.... then you strike.

the old van is a nice secure place to sleep, and chicks like secure places to sleep.

the next thing you know, you'll be central to everyones plans. gathering in the woods? someone call ol' knobler. road trip to different college? ol' knobler can accommodate. yep, the van will faithfully serve and you can reap the benefits.

the kinky chick that makes youth fun and brings a smile to your face 40 years later? she like to do all those things. she ends up dating the van guy.

young knobler, the ugliest guys have girlfriends. shy insecure guys dont. i know this, because with my face, i couldnt afford to be shy.

take my word for it.

I really have yet to find a girl that likes the idea of a guy with a van, but your statements of "the kinky chick" make me think that it might just be worth it.

I would rather not comment on carrying kegs or smoke of any kind. However, I'm not a party goer.
I'm not in "cool" standings at my school.

The only van that I'd like to drive would be a 1967-'70 VW bus. I understand that it's not a windowless van, but they're cool, and besides, a windowless van is creepy.

What's so wrong with me wanting a Land Cruiser, or any 4x4 for that matter?
I'd prefer to spend my time driving through the backwoods than at a party. I don't really like most of the people in my grade, or most of the people around my age for that matter.
A 4x4 allows me the freedom to roam the back country in search of outdoor adventure. A van doesn't afford me such abilities. While it may be able to carry a keg or hide the weed smoke, or become transportation to and from a party, these facts are irrelevant to me because I don't like do to (most of) those things. A 4x4 would make a better fit for me.

So in conclusion, the idea of a van is an interesting one, and I like it. But a van just isn't for me, at least not as an everyday sort of car. It may make a cool weekend vehicle, but it is most certainly not an option for a vehicle to drive to school. I'm a person looking more towards the outdoor jungle, not the concrete one. In tandem with a 4x4 or a car I would not mind having a van though. They do present a very versatile platform for many things, but at this point in time I would not consider a van (outside of previously mentioned criteria) as a transportation option for me in any sort of full time roll. A VW bus would make for an fun project car though, I must say.

While you may frown upon the idea of a 17 year old having a Land Cruiser, or a Rover (which this idea was withdrawn very early on) or any like platform, it is ultimately my choice. I've done my research, I've had this discussion going for a week now and have gotten a lot of input, I've considered my costs and what I have a potential to actually make in a job over the summer. I'm not going into this without any background information, just on a whim. I'm not like that. So thank you for your interesting idea Mr. Zimm. I will take is into consideration, but I feel as though a van will not make the cut as a full time vehicle for me.

REDROVER

Explorer
please. youre buying a cruiser because you think it looks cool and that i'll rub off. you think it'll say money. what youre going to have is a car you cant do anything exciting with, that costs a fortune to drive, and sucks up what little cash you have left to actually go out and have fun. cruisers and land rovers have the same personality trait. they were born young, pretty, expensive snobs, and like young, pretty expensive snobs, as they get older and their parts wear out, they require expensive upgrades and replacements. all the fun was by the one that got her in her youth, all costs are footed buy the men that accept the used up ol wench in their home after the divorce. .

so how is van fun?

first.. it has to be an old van. a good patina helps. make it color too. sky blue, red, green... just dont make it work truck white, because then you have to paint the canvas. but unless your exude strength and self assurance, painting the van is a bold move. i dont think its you.
an old van has been places.
an old van has done things.
an old van had a sense of accomplishment and mystery.

take my word for it.

its funy you say that , my 1987 bmw brought me more hot girls than my 2009 Aston martin .

if u wanna drive a kick *** 4x4 and impress very hot and dumb girls and guys an all ages buy a G WAGON or HUMMER H1. ( be ready to spend from 45 to 130 grand) if u wana drive awesome older affordable 4x4 that will impress good girls get a LC .

but whatever u buy make sure YOU LIKE IT first , girls love confident guys even if he drives 100 dollar car .

i don't know what city/state you live in but here in LOS girls are sick of the BMW Benz Ferrari crap, they want something new something adventures something dominant , that's were you take them for a short drive up the hills true a nice trail, and game over lol

get the LC fix it up and enjoy it, the good thing is it wont depreciate much or at all , so u can sell it whenever u get tired of it

i told u on the land rover tread buy Tacoma , but if u want its STRONGER brother and dont mind 10 MPG, then say hello to LAND CRUISER .

ERIC

Attachments

• 2011-12-19_16-20-07_890.jpg
    2011-12-19_16-20-07_890.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCN1895.JPG
    DSCN1895.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 34
  • OLD HUMMER 003.jpg
    OLD HUMMER 003.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCN1924.JPG
    DSCN1924.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 45

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I think your first question needs to be: Do I want to work on the truck all the time, or enjoy using the truck? Obviously the toyota is the right answer.

Darby Darrow

Observer
Another step that may help in the decision making process is to hook up with a local TLCA group. I can all but guarantee any given weekend you find a group of people driving the gamut of Toyota 4 x 4's that would allow you to ride along with them. This will give you the opportunity to see firsthand how each of these vehicles perform. It will also give you a support base, in the real world, that are generally pretty happy to help you with any wrenching that you will need.

latinoguy

Adventurer
I say get a 95-97 80 series, don't worry about lockers, just get the cleanest one with the biggest PM history. With luck, you will grow an appreciation of how reliable it will be, and you will learn to work on it yourself. Once you get the mods tacked on, it will be far more unique than most Jeeps out there, and on par with the international man of mystery category as a Land Rover. I get my fair share of looks and compliments driving in busy So Cal when I am driving my LC. even fromt the german brand drivers.

If you keep it for a long time, say 6+ years, you will find plenty of opportunities to go on adventure trips during spring, and summer breaks. My only regret about buying an LC is not buying one sooner, even when they were more expensive to acquire.

Once your step mother gets to ride inside it, she will be impressed with the level of driving confort, and the way it makes her feel safer in the LC, over most vehicles she has been in.

motomaniac

Observer
Well jeeps wont get much positive feed back in the landcrusier section. I would also consider the Grand Cherokee preferably the 96-98 they are built nicer and stouter than the Cherokee have linked and coiled suspension front and rear and are very capable off road in stock form. Toss a locker in the rear and some aggressive 30 x 9.50's, which could easily be achieved given the price difference between say a 4runner and a jeep and you have a vehicle that will take you just about anywhere you want to go and still achieve 15 mpg or better with all the amenities of the highest trim level 4 runner. The axles and stock drive train components will not be an issue until 33s or larger tires are required. they also seem to go 200,000 regularly with routine maintenance. They don't look half bad either.
3.jpg

pfran42

Observer
Like I said earlier, press your hand firmly against the Jeep dash. You hear that creaking? The whole truck is that way. You also will be astounded by the difference in interior creaks, groans, squeaks and frame flex while wheeling. There is a reason that LCs of the same year as a Grand Cherokee cost $15-20k more. LCs were designed to be the best and most reliable off road platform. Compare hardware, drivetrain, wiring, interior materials, fit and finish, size of structural members, frame, fasteners, etc. and formulate your own opinion.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven