Where would be the ultimate location for axles/transfer case/transmission vents ?

Jean-Seb

Adventurer
I'll be relocating the vents (some day) on my vehicle and I ask myself; "Where would be the ultimate area of the vehicle to relocate them to ?"

So here are my ideas;

1. Move the front ones (front axle/transfer case/transmission) to the firewall as high as possible in the engine compartment, and the rear axle vent to the gas filler door. (Seems like a good idea but could be higher in my opinion.)

2. Move the front ones outside the vehicle near the common snorkel inlet location (in a little covered but not sealed box to protect from the rain hehe) and the rear axle vent to one of the rear roof corners.

3. Or extend all the lines and move them inside the cab as high and rearward as possible. (Could work but I'm thinking of the smell and possibilities of leakage if the vehicle is rolled, so not that much of a good idea. :()

Any ideas or thoughts ? Where did you relocate yours ?

Thank you. :snorkel:

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
As high as possible! It really depends on how much water you plan to cross.

I have my front vents at the top of my firewall. If I get into water deeper than that, I have some serious issues to work out.

Jean-Seb

Adventurer

OTR

Adventurer
I put the rear one behind the top of the tail light. Lots of room, up high, and the paint was really clean (less dust).

Token

Explorer
At least as high as the breather box in front..

As high as you can get the rear.. Maybe above the fuel tank..

If you're anal about dust, slap one of these on the end of the lines.. $10 or so each..

41BPJ5JWYCL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Spectre-3996-Chrome-Cotton-Breather/dp/B00062ZI86

alexrex20

Explorer
3. Or extend all the lines and move them inside the cab as high and rearward as possible. (Could work but I'm thinking of the smell and possibilities of leakage if the vehicle is rolled, so not that much of a good idea. :()

if you roll your vehicle, a dribble of gear oil on the headliner will be the least of our worries.

corax

Explorer
"Where would be the ultimate area of the vehicle to relocate them to ?"

One inch higher than your electronics :ylsmoke:

I ran my fronts to the top of the firewall, the rear is behind the taillight - if I get any deeper, that'll be the least of my worries

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven