White Rim Trail Trip Report

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Great report! I have had the great opportunity to run the White Rim on two different occasions. Once with my group of Varsity Scouts, and then in the fall 2010 following the floods that washed out the Mineral Bottom switch backs. That trip was all the way in and out in two days. We were trying to rescue a friends truck that was stranded there because of the flood. Due to road conditions it spent the winter at the river take out point. Anyway the White Rim is amazing, and you documented it well. I attached one picture that made me feel small

Attachments

• White Rim 2010 043-01.jpg
    White Rim 2010 043-01.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 26

DRYVEM

Great report! Were you glad you didn't have the teardrop? We are contemplating doing the WRT, but don't know about taking our teardrop.

Barbara

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
Great report! Were you glad you didn't have the teardrop? We are contemplating doing the WRT, but don't know about taking our teardrop.

Barbara
All three times I traveled the WR I was pulling an M 416. It was not difficult at all. Here are a couple pics and a video. The one picture of just the trailer is to show just how full it was at times. When we were not on the bikes it could get pretty overloaded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8_7HoWfrmE

Attachments

• White Rim 2010 054-01.jpg
    White Rim 2010 054-01.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 17
  • White Rim 2010 060-01.jpg
    White Rim 2010 060-01.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Canyonlands 5-09 102.jpg
    Canyonlands 5-09 102.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
All three times I traveled the WR I was pulling an M 416. It was not difficult at all. Here are a couple pics and a video. The one picture of just the trailer is to show just how full it was at times. When we were not on the bikes it could get pretty overloaded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8_7HoWfrmE

Did you have any difficulty between Potato Bottom and Hardscrabble?

I will be there next year with trailer!

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
None what so ever. I just took it slow and easy. My Jeep had a great turning radius and that made the tight turn on Hard Scrabble easier. On one trip a friend towed it up Hard Scrabble behind his four dour F250 and had no trouble negotiating the turn.

DRYVEM

Thanks for the input. Off to research which campsites are best and check availability!:camping::exclaim:

Barbara

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Glad to hear you're just as excited as we were when we first heard about the area.

I would take a trailer, however... i wouldn't make it my first trip towing. I'd make sure you had experience first. It wasn't that it was that hard, but you'd need to know how how to make corrective measures when running into problems, like hairpin corners, 3 point turns and tight rock outcroppings. Like i said, the only reason i didn't take our trailer is because we wanted to have another vehicle experience the journey. We've been on much more technical sections of trails before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater